Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another 1K -- NO BENEFIT

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2008, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA1P MM, Hilton Dia, Mar Lifetime Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by PaulMCO
Since I have enough EQMs to requalify for 1K in 2009 -- I will try the others Continental or Delta (as they suit my flying locations better). Maybe I will be back on UA in 2009?
I am in the same boat - reached 1K for all of 2009. Why not reach out try someone else. Certainly UA has enough 1K's now and can afford to lose a few.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Why blame UA? Think big and realize what the real issue is. Perhaps it's time for Homeland Security to extend its NEXUS program to ports of entry from overseas. I tend to find US gateways embarrassingly poor compared to those of many other countries. And here in Canada, every major international airport gateway now has kiosks where those of us registered for NEXUS or CANPASS can fast track into the country via retina scans and bypass lineups.
Actually, for US Citizens, they are testing a program similar to NEXUS called Global Entry which is available now at JFK, IAD and IAH. See here: http://www.customs.gov/xp/cgov/trave...iscription.xml. It's probably quite useful for anyone who travels regularly overseas, just as NEXUS has been invaluable to me as a regular traveller between the US and Canada (though if you're already enrolled in NEXUS, you might want to wait, as rumor has it they are looking at how they may integrate NEXUS members into Global Entry).
Old Jul 6, 2008, 7:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak
Well, no. I believe that the argument was made that it used to include 1Ks also but no longer does. Cant remember the last time I was through there since I avoid IAD when at all possible. So I dont have a personal recollection of whether it did or didnt change.
But the OP explicitly states that the priority line is for FC and GS. It seems like an exception was made before, and now they're enforcing the established guideline.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
A special line for the highest paying pax (F/GS) is pretty reasonable... why should mistakes in policy enforcement from the past continue?
Old Jul 6, 2008, 8:45 pm

If flying 100,000+ miles a year in paid seats is not enough to get in a priority security line then the heck with UA.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold
Originally Posted by MIKEM
If flying 100,000+ miles a year in paid seats is not enough to get in a priority security line then the heck with UA.
You might have a point if all 1Ks actually did that, but with programs like DEQM, the 1K ranks are growing. If I were GS or flying intl F regularly, I would love a line set apart for me. You gotta make the "special" cut somewhere & regardless of where you make it someone will be unhappy....
Old Jul 6, 2008, 8:58 pm

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
BUAY-BYE!

Seriously, I fly 100K paid miles a year on UA and I get priority security in most places, some not. Big deal.

You've already made up your mind. Move on and report back to us in a year on how life is on whatever carrier you've moved to.

Safe travels.

Originally Posted by MIKEM
Old Jul 6, 2008, 9:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by iceman77_7
But the OP explicitly states that the priority line is for FC and GS. It seems like an exception was made before, and now they're enforcing the established guideline.
Yea I might have misinterpreted what he was saying. I thought he was saying that the line used to include 1Ks but was now labeled first class and GS only. But you are right, I probably misinterpreted the OP.

Originally Posted by nzpilot
You might have a point if all 1Ks actually did that, but with programs like DEQM, the 1K ranks are growing. If I were GS or flying intl F regularly, I would love a line set apart for me. You gotta make the "special" cut somewhere & regardless of where you make it someone will be unhappy....

Im really not sure what the evidence of the growing ranks are. But in any case, I think the point is that most other carriers include their equivalent of 1Ks in the special group and UA doesnt.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 6, 2008 at 11:09 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 6, 2008, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Chapel Hill Guy
BUAY-BYE!

Seriously, I fly 100K paid miles a year on UA and I get priority security in most places, some not. Big deal.

You've already made up your mind. Move on and report back to us in a year on how life is on whatever carrier you've moved to.

Safe travels.
No no no - I have already requalified and made 1K for 2009. I'll do what I want and remain among the 1K ranks.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 9:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM ★G, DL Silver, Amtrak ES, Hilton Diamond,Nexus
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Why blame UA? Think big and realize what the real issue is. Perhaps it's time for Homeland Security to extend its NEXUS program to ports of entry from overseas. I tend to find US gateways embarrassingly poor compared to those of many other countries. And here in Canada, every major international airport gateway now has kiosks where those of us registered for NEXUS or CANPASS can fast track into the country via retina scans and bypass lineups.
While I fully support what you have said, and I have not been in the dregs of Terminal C since the new "FC/GS" line was set up, but I think the line in question is for the TSA security check at the end of the process, right before you are dumped in Terminal C, not immigration.

There are actually 4 lines down there you get hung up at, immigration, then customs, then luggage recheck, then TSA security. My experience has been that the TSA security security line and the luggage recheck backing up through the customs line are longer waits than immigration.

I have said for a long time that the Terminal C dungeon disaster is no better than taking everyone back to the main terminal building.

Last edited by droopydog; Jul 6, 2008 at 9:43 pm
Old Jul 6, 2008, 9:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
the grass is NOT always greener when you get to the other side of the fence.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Avis 1st
Originally Posted by nzpilot
United wants the 1K ranks to grow. They have supported that through the sales of MP miles, the (awful) DEQM program, freebie 1K status to people working for select companies, etc., etc. By allowing people to reach 1K without flying the miles, now they're leaving themselves with a dilemma where there are a lot of 1K's that aren't profitable enough to merit GS but who feel like they are more 1K than the rest because they flew the miles to earn it.

Personally I don't care how someone accumulated 100,000 miles in a calendar year - that is loyalty at a level that deserves to be recognized as "special" even if you still want to have a separate recognition for your most profitable customers. There is a place for GS recognition IMO, but there is no good reason to risk your most frequent flying passengers feeling dissed just because they don't pay the big bucks for their seats.

I don't have years worth of experience to compare to...but maybe it speaks volumes that my biggest 1K benefit is not having to speak to the ICC on a regular basis any more. I completely understand how the numerous "little things" stack up to make a person think that maybe trying another airline is the way to go. Sometimes a change is as good as a rest; I just haven't been able to bring myself to part with E+ yet, though I am hoping to fly AA before the end of the month for the first time in a decade.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 4:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by Trulyblues
Personally I don't care how someone accumulated 100,000 miles in a calendar year.
I just haven't been able to bring myself to part with E+ yet, though I am hoping to fly AA before the end of the month for the first time in a decade.
Well, as I try not to fly in the economy cabin, E+ is only of limited interest to me. Thus, as we are shortly to be be bombarded with a huge influx of 1K ultra-Ultralites clogging up the system and competing for our rightful benefits, it really is time to move on, to such as AA or CO.

Also, these airlines don't discriminate so heavily against foreigners.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 5:44 am

Location: Chapel Hill, NC - UA Nobody (sigh)/0.925MM, HHonors Diamond
No one on this board has any concrete evidence to back up this claim. It's all speculation.

Originally Posted by Grace B
...as we are shortly to be be bombarded with a huge influx of 1K ultra-Ultralites clogging up the system...
Old Jul 7, 2008, 10:16 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Grace B
Thus, as we are shortly to be be bombarded with a huge influx of 1K ultra-Ultralites clogging up the system and competing for our rightful benefits, it really is time to move on, to such as AA or CO.
UA matched the AA promo, and AA matched the original DL promo. I don't know if CO fell into step. You may see just as many new elite members at AA as we do have several threads on the promotion.

Tom homeward bound at DFW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.