Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

When do you think that UAUA will liquidate?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2008, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Most

Skywest's market value is about double that of UAUA's. It seems that the markets believe that the UAUA is on the weakest position of the major airlines based on the stock market value.

Quite frankly I believe that UAUA is gone within the next 12 months. This time it will be chapter 7 instead of chapter 11.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't think they're liquidating, at least not in the near future (next few years)...
Old Jul 4, 2008, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
I don't think they're liquidating, at least not in the near future (next few years)...
The shareholders value is already negative if you deduct some "intangibles" that UAUA thinks that ought to be of some value but in reality they are not.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA Executive PLatinum CO Platinum DL Gold Hyatt Diamond Hilton no more :)
november
Old Jul 4, 2008, 9:01 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
There will always be naysayers... when UA was in chapter 11 before there were plenty of posts on here that United would be out of business soon. I agree with the other poster who said this is a useless thread.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA Executive PLatinum CO Platinum DL Gold Hyatt Diamond Hilton no more :)
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
There will always be naysayers... when UA was in chapter 11 before there were plenty of posts on here that United would be out of business soon. I agree with the other poster who said this is a useless thread.
But this time there's nothing left of the pig except the squeal.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by giggy
But this time there's nothing left of the pig except the squeal.
Many said that when UA was in Chapter 11.... they're still around, and they'll still be around, IMO.

Of course we can turn this into a "who likes UA" thread, if some would prefer, since that's what it seems to be...
Old Jul 4, 2008, 9:18 pm

who likes UA really doesnt matter. I think that Obama may get the election if he doesnt do anything really stupid. Iran will look at this as an opportunity to "talk" while working their nuke program 24/7. Israel will not tolerate this, and will bomb the facilities. Oil will hit $200 and UA among others will be gone. poof just like that.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I really don't know what the purpose of this thread is.

There are several UA employees in this forum, and I hope we respect their presence here by not speculating their fate. It is never easy working for a company that is going through tough times, and people's livelihood is at stake here.

Look at what has happend to Unitedskies after spending five years with UA.

People here worry about their miles, but they are nothing comparing to the loss of jobs of thousands.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 9:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
United will not liquidate before US Air. They will keep selling more miles to credit card companies at huge discounts until that door is shut. JP Morgan Chase will keep buying those miles as long as they think the carrier will survive.

$200 oil will wreck most of the legacy carriers as well as the global economy, and you can forget about going to a competitor because there won't be one (with the possible exception of WN). Because of that, there are large companies who have a vested interest in keeping the domestic airline industry alive (i.e. Boeing, GE, United Technologies). Besides, $200 oil is not a given. Commodity exchanges can raise margin requirements on oil futures (or even create a rule where you can only sell but not buy like what happened to silver in the early '80s after the Hunt Brothers tried to corner the silver market). Everyone keeps talking about oil prices going up indefinitely, but the history of oil has shown only large booms followed by larger busts.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have 1K locked in, and will be collecting miles with another carrier/program for the rest of the year.

My miles are burning faster than a California wildfire.

Based on what I've seen from UA in the last three months, I have no clue how they expect to stay alive.

I certainly don't wish this upon them, but I live in reality...and reality isn't always nice.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 10:34 pm

Programs: SQ PPS SOLITAIRE, AA ,HHONOR GOLD, BONVOY GOLD, IHG PLAT
Originally Posted by UNITED959
I have 1K locked in, and will be collecting miles with another carrier/program for the rest of the year.

Based on what I've seen from UA in the last three months, I have no clue how they expect to stay alive.

I certainly don't wish this upon them, but I live in reality...and reality isn't always nice.
Now that's hedging.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 11:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
Originally Posted by CommittedLurker
Now that's hedging.
No, hedging is using your 1K status to get status matched on CO or DL during the latter part of this year.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA GM, QF Bronze, Sugar and Spice buy 6 cups get one free offer card holder
Likewise, my mileage balance lately has been going down faster then Monica Lewinsky on an internship.

The days where people saved up thier miles for that big RTW trip in C/F are gone, with redemption rates sneaking up and airlines shutting down/merging.

The best stratergy now is for people not to put all thier eggs (miles) in one basket (FF program)

Originally Posted by UNITED959

Old Jul 4, 2008, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it will be a long time after American, US Air and Northwest liquidate. After that happens anything is possible. Before that? I don't see it happening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.