FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Ual Screws Up Special Request Meal What Should Compensation Be? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/841307-ual-screws-up-special-request-meal-what-should-compensation.html)

sindhiguy Jul 3, 2008 3:21 pm

Ual Screws Up Special Request Meal What Should Compensation Be?

So if UAl screws up your special meal request due to religious reasons and also doesnt have baby food on board especially when its on the stewardess roster what compensation should I demand from ual and what number should i call to get a us call center isntead of the overseas people.
any help would be appreciated

777-DCA Jul 3, 2008 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by sindhiguy (Post 9979030)
So if UAl screws up your special meal request due to religious reasons and also doesnt have baby food on board especially when its on the stewardess roster what compensation should I demand from ual and what number should i call to get a us call center isntead of the overseas people.

I would write UA customer service. Calling them probably won't help much.

As for what should you demand: what in your view can UA do to make it right? Miles? E-voucher?

4BandE Jul 3, 2008 3:39 pm

What kind of flight was this? International? In coach, business or first?

Lightman7 Jul 3, 2008 3:43 pm

Well, last year, no special meal, old skykit, international flight = $350 voucher for me. Those days are gone.

ldsant Jul 3, 2008 3:56 pm

I wouldn't "DEMAND" anything. . .in over 10 years I have always requested a fruit plate on all of my flights. It was boarded twice. Never even thought to ask for anything.

And I'm sorry, but if you're travelling with a child why would you leave it to the airline to ensure there is food for your baby? Isn't that really your responsibility (and please, no flames on this; I just for the life of me can't understand why folks think it's OK to leave this up to the airline). :rolleyes:

coplatua1k Jul 3, 2008 4:08 pm

An apology.....mistakes happen. I don't eat seafood if the only choice is shrimp plate I don't demand anything. Lets face it if you want something 'special' do it yourself. I guess if push comes to shove they could return the cost of the meal to you which is about $10 or less.
Don't mean to be harsh but they have some very grave and serious issues to contend with skipped meal not being one of them. Next.

FlyinHawaiian Jul 3, 2008 4:17 pm

The following thread contains several instances of the compensation being offered for no special meal being boarded.

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=773080

You may search the thread for "special meal" and you should be able to find enough answers to your question.

I, personally, order special meals whenever I can for personal preference so I can slough off the times they are not boarded (although I have asked for and received compensation). I think it's a little more serious for those with allergies or dietary restrictions and UA should be held accountable for service failures such as these. I also think the baby food is another matter; knowing UA's rate for getting special meals correct, I would never depend on it, but perhaps this is a lesson to be learned.

nsx1164 Jul 3, 2008 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by Lightman7 (Post 9979122)
Well, last year, no special meal, old skykit, international flight = $350 voucher for me. Those days are gone.

+1

These days, one can't DEMAND anything. One might suggest or ask for:
- an apology (if one already given, no need)
- a commitment to try to do it right next time

Anything compensatory - meal voucher, RCC pass, drink chits, etc - would be a bonus. You might get these if you ask nicely :)

euslaner Jul 3, 2008 4:43 pm

Many times I have tried to order a special meal on LH flights that serve eggs for breakfast. The taste of eggs makes me nauseous. So when I tried to order special meals, it always fails and what do I get in return: Being yelled at by LH FAs who say that I had made no special requests and that the whole thing was my fault (now if this happened once, it could be my fault, but multiple times, it can't be).

So LH will give you grief. UA may be more forthcoming.

rjque Jul 3, 2008 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by coplatua1k (Post 9979242)
An apology.....mistakes happen. I don't eat seafood if the only choice is shrimp plate I don't demand anything. Lets face it if you want something 'special' do it yourself. I guess if push comes to shove they could return the cost of the meal to you which is about $10 or less.
Don't mean to be harsh but they have some very grave and serious issues to contend with skipped meal not being one of them. Next.

Ah, the "thank you sir, may I have another" approach that seems to be more and more common around here these days. I disagree. The OP will likely receive a voucher of some sort if he or she writes. My guess is $200 based on an experience earlier this year, although that was for an astoundingly rude agent in DEN and not a forgotten special meal on an international flight. UA won't do anything to fix the problem, but the voucher may come in handy sometime down the road.

jhayes_1780 Jul 3, 2008 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by sindhiguy (Post 9979030)

I am not judging you complaint... but as far as where to contact, unless you are a higher end elite you are stuck with the ICC (and if you are a higher end eliter, then you already have the number to call;).

Anyway, if it was me... I would just e-mail the regular customer relations e-mail (you can find it on UA's website), you can demand whatever you feel is reasonable.

linsj Jul 3, 2008 5:40 pm

When I used to order diabetic meals, they were boarded only about half the time. Sometimes I emailed customer service to let them know, never asking for anything. They always sent me a paper voucher; I think the last one was for $75. It's been a couple of years though.

GimmeLegRoom Jul 3, 2008 5:43 pm

Wow, I have missed the boat on Skykits. I didn't get my special meal 80% of the time over the last year (my lactose intolerance really only took off last spring). I've since figured it wasn't worth the gamble anymore. I bring a few Laara bars as a back up, and hope to pick and choose from the offerings to find something that works.

iwebslinger Jul 3, 2008 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by ldsant (Post 9979180)
And I'm sorry, but if you're travelling with a child why would you leave it to the airline to ensure there is food for your baby? Isn't that really your responsibility (and please, no flames on this; I just for the life of me can't understand why folks think it's OK to leave this up to the airline). :rolleyes:

ldsant i'm with you on this one.

mre5765 Jul 3, 2008 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by ldsant (Post 9979180)
I wouldn't "DEMAND" anything. . .in over 10 years I have always requested a fruit plate on all of my flights. It was boarded twice. Never even thought to ask for anything.

Back in the old days when meals were served in economy, I always got my meal choices according to my M+ profile (except when the FA gave my tuna sandwich to the pax sitting next to me ... I mentioned the mistake to the FA and got a $25 voucher). When meals were deleted from domestic economy, UA never served me my meal choice in F, C, or domestic economy. Last year, to my utter shock, in LH economy (DEN/FRA), LH gave me a special meal.

Food is pretty much optional. If religious/medical reasons require special food, best is to bring it on board (and if necessary battle with the security folks). Complain if you want, but don't expect much more than $25.