Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Ual Screws Up Special Request Meal What Should Compensation Be?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ual Screws Up Special Request Meal What Should Compensation Be?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2008, 6:31 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
to the op-

no offense but are you sure it was in your reservation. you mention it being on the "stewardess roster" [passenger manifest, btw ] but could it have been the f/a being nice and simply apologizing for the screwup. yes, i know i'm playing devil's advocate but one sure fire way to make sure it's in your record is once it is requested, pull a copy of your itinerary (the itin and not the e-rcpt & itin combo) on-line and make sure it's listed as this way, if it's not loaded, you have proof when asking for compensation

Originally Posted by Lightman7
Well, last year, no special meal, old skykit, international flight = $350 voucher for me. Those days are gone.
and i ran $200 for each special meal which was not loaded and yes,, those days are gone
Old Jul 3, 2008, 6:54 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by ldsant
And I'm sorry, but if you're travelling with a child why would you leave it to the airline to ensure there is food for your baby? Isn't that really your responsibility (and please, no flames on this; I just for the life of me can't understand why folks think it's OK to leave this up to the airline).
Agreed. I can't imagine putting the risk that my baby won't eat in the hands of an unknown collection of UA and/or ramp employees.

That said, I might still complain if the baby food wasn't properly loaded ... not because my baby didn't eat, because I'd bring my own food as a backup ... but because UA should be held responsible to make sure baby food is properly loaded when it is promised to be onboard.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 7:04 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by nnn
Agreed. I can't imagine putting the risk that my baby won't eat in the hands of an unknown collection of UA and/or ramp employees.

That said, I might still complain if the baby food wasn't properly loaded ... not because my baby didn't eat, because I'd bring my own food as a backup ... but because UA should be held responsible to make sure baby food is properly loaded when it is promised to be onboard.
As one who has requested the infant meal (successfully) for my boy, yet brought backup food just in case, I can sympathize both ways.

The argument, though, can go both ways -- if you required a vegetarian / Hindu / Halal / etc meal, is the same burden on the passenger to not "put the risk" in UA's hands that they might not make it happen?
Old Jul 4, 2008, 8:06 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
[QUOTE=777-DCA;9979094]I would write UA customer service. Calling them probably won't help much.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 8:54 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Random thoughts:

1) Although I have a special meal in my profile, unless I call three days ahead to request, it's never boarded, and I'm not talking about upgrade standbys that hit. (I request Asian vegetarian, just because it's nearly always more interesting than the one everyone else gets. For this reason, it's not high stakes for me, so I just shrug.)

2) Does baby food breeze through security? I really am curious.

3) How does a parent know that the baby food that is boarded is tolerated or liked by the baby? It's been a looong time, but I thought baby food was pretty age-specific.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 8:55 am

Programs: Won Kay
I tend to find most of the meals I get on UA to be "special".
Old Jul 4, 2008, 10:33 am

I am 1K - flew in first for a 2 hour flight - and they forgot my meal. I sent an email to the 1K desk and they gave me 5000 miles.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Unhappy

Dayam... I do feel silly, now, like, "If I had a nickel for everytime..."

Then there are the audio systems that almost never work. Well, this isn't getting anywhere...

Anyway, welcome to FlyerTalk, GldnGrl! ^^
Old Jul 4, 2008, 11:03 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest
GldnGrl - Welcome to Flyertalk!

Originally Posted by Firewind
3) How does a parent know that the baby food that is boarded is tolerated or liked by the baby? It's been a looong time, but I thought baby food was pretty age-specific.
My thoughts exactly. I hesitate to switch my dog's food, I certainly wouldn't count on an airline to supply my infant's food.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iwebslinger
ldsant i'm with you on this one.
So am I. That said, you should bring it up to United. Only frequent complaints and bringing issues to light will ever cause anything to be changed.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 12:22 pm

Programs: SQ PPS SOLITAIRE, AA ,HHONOR GOLD, BONVOY GOLD, IHG PLAT
UA does a horrible job with special meals. I have not gotten special meals loaded despite 2-3 confirming phone calls to the GS Desk. I never bothered to ask for compensation. I have had 100% success with LH and SQ.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA MM
I think you should demand that they put out an RFP for a time machine, fund its development, and employ it to roll back and get you something you and your baby can eat on that flight.
Old Jul 5, 2008, 2:46 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, SPG Plat
$2500
Old Jul 5, 2008, 3:22 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Originally Posted by sindhiguy
So if UAl screws up your special meal request due to religious reasons.....
What religion is UAL, and why would screwing up a passenger's special meal request be one of its teachings?

Originally Posted by uncle1k
$2500

^

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 5, 2008 at 4:11 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Jul 5, 2008, 11:45 am

Programs: LH and BA
Originally Posted by sindhiguy
So if UAl screws up your special meal request due to religious reasons and also doesnt have baby food on board especially when its on the stewardess roster what compensation should I demand from ual and what number should i call to get a us call center isntead of the overseas people.
any help would be appreciated
Re Baby food --- this is not there to feed the baby but for emergencies - airline keep it as a courtesy not as a requirement - often the food is out on the return leg - similar to the duty free items ...

Baby food can be brought through security any time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.