Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wouldn't this be a better flight system?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2008, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by char777
EDIT: Oh, by the way, I checked the UAL site, and it looks like all widebodies in the fleet will go international soon. DEN-LAX and DEN-SFO are all narrowbodies this winter and next spring. Frequency is still the same, however.
That's just the default / placeholder schedule so far into the future. Some widebodies will definitely show up closer to the actual flight dates.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by mre5765
Which means that the 2-class 777s will go TATL/TPAC without business class.
No chance of that ... whatsoever.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by mre5765
Why is it easier for a company to spend an extra $2500 on a Mac, versus spending an extra $40 or so to let employee sit in E+?
Because the productivity benefit of the Mac is both measurable and expected. The productivity benefit of E+ is, while potentially measurable, something that is less accepted because it's a comfort-derived benefit. Just like companies don't want employees taking a 20-minute powernap in the office, even though rested employees operate more efficiently than tired ones... when the benefit appears to be about comfort, it's "not business-like." Silly, but that's the way most companies work. The smarter ones (like Google) keep their employees comfortable because it pays off... most don't.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 6:48 pm

Therefore, couldn't the airlines theoretically fly more comfortable configurations?
I think the inherent challenge here is that demand is not equivalent at all times during the day.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by SFOtoORD
I think the inherent challenge here is that demand is not equivalent at all times during the day.
Well, you can still have flights throughout the day, but some routes have flights that are ridiculously close to each other.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 7:14 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
I'm all for less frequency but with a twist --- How about cutting frequency and then trading frequencies with American, alternating weekly time slots - they probably have just as many flights a day ORD-LAX.

i.e., United would fly hourly ten times a day - 1st week in the month
American would fly on the 1/2 hour ten times a day - 1st week in month
and then alternate for the 2nd week - UA on the 1/2 hour and AA on the hour and back to the hourly - UA on the 3rd week, 1/2 hour AA on the 3rd week etc.
Its better than each having 16 flights a day ORD-LAX (and other similar markets).
Old Jun 28, 2008, 7:23 pm

Well, you can still have flights throughout the day, but some routes have flights that are ridiculously close to each other.
But that also means that at some points in the day that you could server with an A319 you'll not be able to have any flight at all. You could end up with 6 or 7 hr gaps during the day with no flight at all.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 8:07 pm

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingNone
I'm all for less frequency but with a twist --- How about cutting frequency and then trading frequencies with American, alternating weekly time slots - they probably have just as many flights a day ORD-LAX.

i.e., United would fly hourly ten times a day - 1st week in the month
American would fly on the 1/2 hour ten times a day - 1st week in month
and then alternate for the 2nd week - UA on the 1/2 hour and AA on the hour and back to the hourly - UA on the 3rd week, 1/2 hour AA on the 3rd week etc.
Its better than each having 16 flights a day ORD-LAX (and other similar markets).
I don't think they need to alternate, they just both need to slash frequency and upgauge aircraft. Look up the amount of flights AA and UA fly ORD-EWR/LGA/JFK. Its insane, something like 50 a day combined each way. The whole concept of frequency gets lost when you suffer from delays all day everyday. I can't imagine a business man who goes, "oh boy, I can't make the 11am flight, but I can sure make the 11:20!" instead of just waiting until noon.

The only other city pairs in the world off the top of my head that have this level of frequency is SYD-MEL and HKG-TPE, and none of these are as badly delay-prone as ORD and NYC.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 10:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SFOtoORD
But that also means that at some points in the day that you could server with an A319 you'll not be able to have any flight at all. You could end up with 6 or 7 hr gaps during the day with no flight at all.
I think you're being rather dramatic. Changing a route frequency from 11-12x to 6-7x doesn't mean that the flights will be '6-7 hours apart'.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 11:29 pm
LLW

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Maybe I'm missing something here, but as others have said, frequency is a selling point.

When I lived in Phoenix, Southwest had a ton of billboards announcing "66 Flights Daily from Phoenix to Albuquerque!!" or something like that. I've noticed similar Southwest ads in the Denver airport recently. Frequency sells, or they wouldn't tout it.

I understand that UA's business model is very different from WN's, but frequent flights are attractive to both LCC customers and legacy customers. What am I missing in this long thread?
Old Jun 28, 2008, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LLW
Maybe I'm missing something here, but as others have said, frequency is a selling point.

When I lived in Phoenix, Southwest had a ton of billboards announcing "66 Flights Daily from Phoenix to Albuquerque!!" or something like that. I've noticed similar Southwest ads in the Denver airport recently. Frequency sells, or they wouldn't tout it.

I understand that UA's business model is very different from WN's, but frequent flights are attractive to both LCC customers and legacy customers. What am I missing in this long thread?
Well, initially, I had this idea that perhaps legacy airlines like UAL should consolidate their bevy of narrowbody-operated flights into widebodies with slightly more comfortable cabins (36" pitch, or 8 abreast on a 9 abreast plane). However, in these three pages, I've realised that people are happy paying the lowest fare and couldn't care less if they had a better seat. Also, many people, such as yourself, have mentioned that frequency is a big selling point, but I think the airlines may be forced to reduce frequency soon due to the price of oil, and also if there are less passengers flying due to higher fares and hidden fees.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 1:41 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
I totally agree with you char777. I am also very surprised that frequency trumps comfort and that most here cannot see that it's the frequency of flights that's causing the delays and cancellations that are the cause of most complaints here. Fewer and larger birds in the sky would be a huge improvement.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by braslvr
I totally agree with you char777. I am also very surprised that frequency trumps comfort and that most here cannot see that it's the frequency of flights that's causing the delays and cancellations that are the cause of most complaints here. Fewer and larger birds in the sky would be a huge improvement.
I suppose we're just stuck in this paradigm of passengers only searching for the cheapest fare. This reminds me of a great quote from Steve Jobs I came across a few years ago:

You think it's a conspiracy by the networks to put bad shows on TV. But the shows are bad because that's what people want. It's not like Windows users don't have any power. I think they are happy with Windows, and that's an incredibly depressing thought.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 2:13 am
LLW

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
I suppose we're just stuck in this paradigm of passengers only searching for the cheapest fare.
I don't look for cheap fares. I do look for good flight times, as do most business travelers.
Old Jun 29, 2008, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LLW
I don't look for cheap fares. I do look for good flight times, as do most business travelers.
You may not, but I'm willing to bet that most travellers overall flying domestically in the States are just looking for the cheapest seat they can find.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.