Search

Go for 1K or 1P/LH SEN? Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2008, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Go for 1K or 1P/LH SEN? Advice Needed

Hello fello flyertalkers!

I am in the middle of a mileage earning crisis. As we have seen over the past few months, fuel is killing all airlines and frequent flyer programs may be the next big change. While flying patterns last year forced me to diversify EQM earnings with different programs so that I was mid tier on many airlines (UA 1P, AA Plat, BA Silver, VS Silver), I would like to consolidate this year to get top tier on one carrier. Since I live in ORD and UA/Star is my preferred airline and elite program, I would like to stick with them rather than with the other options or switch to another US based carrier's program.

With around 45,000 EQM's to date and many premium flights planned for the rest of 2008, I have two paths that I could take mileage wise and am looking
for some advice from you guys.
1. Stick it out and go for 1K- This is doable with 150% EQM on UA/LH premium fares but restricts me to these airlines for the rest of the year.
2. Quit at 1P on UA and go for SEN on LH. Because domestically, A fares on UA get 300% EQM and there will also be some international A fares too, I really only need 33,333 base miles to get to 100,000 EQM on LH. With this option, I don't get UA's top tier and remain as I have been but I also diversify my miles which have much better redemption possibilities given UA's Star Net and obtain status on one of the most stable carriers in the world.

Also, it would be useful to know that should I choose option 2, I would consider buying Pass Plus Exec, which comps 1P and allows flights on LH at a discount for subsequent years. The only question I have is whether I can, with Pass Plus, use my 1P status for upgrades/E+ and then at the gate switch my UA number with my LH number or do I have to use the 1P accural to reap the benefits of 1P status on each individual flight? Also, if anybody knows, can Pass Plus funds (since you are basically deducting from a set credit amount like a debit card) be used when not purchasing directly through UA but through Travel agents etc. (this will have a big impact on my decision).

Thanks for taking the time to read this and offer any advice. I really appreciate any suggestions that you experts may have on this subject. Just to reiterate, 1K is obviously a lot better than 1P but I am also thinking to the future, and there is a possibitliy that UA will not be around in a few years etc. Thanks again!
Old Jun 26, 2008, 8:22 pm

Programs: All the best ones.
Easy answer: If all your flying is on UA, I would go for UA 1K status. LH SEN's only get *A benefits on UA, which means your priority is after UA's own elites, who will get treated better than you even in F-class. While LH does earn more miles on premium tickets, this is outweighed by the x6 SWU's awarded to 1K's each year. A LH SEN only gets 2 e-upgrades, which is enough for one longhaul upgrade every (second) re-qualifying year.

As for your comment about UA going belly up, if it happens, then it happens! But it can happen to any airline not just UA. Historically, another airline generally picks up the FF's. So I would not factor that into my selection of FF program to a very high degree unless I knew an airline was going to collapse for sure.

Last edited by Peter M; Jun 26, 2008 at 8:28 pm
Old Jun 26, 2008, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA1K, BA GLD
It looks like you have similar travel patterns as me, maybe more domestic travel. I have considered going for LH SEN while keeping UA 1P many times and always rejected. In effect I see two main benefits of being LH SEN:

1. Some nicer lounges since more of SEN lounges ceasing to be *G plus and RCC on domestic flights.

2. Ability to easily upgrade/opup on LH from C to F (I would never rely on upgrade from Y). LH no longer treating *G well for upgrades.

Both benefits seem less important than 1K benefits:

1. 6SWU, BTW, printable for use on LH.

2. Much better service in case of IRROP even when it is my fault (I can share some very nice stories).

3. Pretty much guaranteed upgrade to F on domestic flights when one can by a mix of A and cheap eco fares. As 1P I had different experience, had to spend some time in Y.

4. Some saving on being exempt from fees, though this is less important for me.

Your profile says that you BA silver. I now have a perfect mix of BA Gold and UA 1K. I keep some status on AA to use it when flying domestically where UA does not fly or does not have convenient schedules. BA Gold gives access to relatively decent AA FL in ORD (AC in other places) when flying American, and to BA own lounges in DEN (nicer than RCC) and IAD (never have been there but I understand it is reachable from UA gates) even when flying UA. There are nice touches of BA Gold like ability to open award seats when they are not available (not guaranteed, on request). If you do not fly BA enough to make Gold - consider euro-cheating. And I hope you will agree with me that for TATL service BA is incomparable to UA, both in business and premium economy (with fares the same level as UA M fares). Upgrades on BA are much better than on LH: 12.5K miles one way from T/W to J on BA compared with 35-50K miles on LH! Plus, BA offers very reasonable I fares (business class) intra-Europe, while LH only offers full fare on local flights (well, to be honest LX offers Z fares).
Old Jun 27, 2008, 4:32 am

Programs: DLPM MM
One additional factor not mentioned so far is lifetime miles. It is well worth getting to 1m miles on UA if this is feasible and if you are based in the US - 1P for life is a good benefit. It is worth focusing flights on UA metal to get to this.

I also believe that whatever happens to UA, MP will survive, as there will still be airlines and people flying, whatever happens to the current companies, and the FF members are an extremely valuable asset that will be picked up by whatever entity is operating the routes.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by mabff
It looks like you have similar travel patterns as me, maybe more domestic travel. I have considered going for LH SEN while keeping UA 1P many times and always rejected. In effect I see two main benefits of being LH SEN:

1. Some nicer lounges since more of SEN lounges ceasing to be *G plus and RCC on domestic flights.

2. Ability to easily upgrade/opup on LH from C to F (I would never rely on upgrade from Y). LH no longer treating *G well for upgrades.

Both benefits seem less important than 1K benefits:

1. 6SWU, BTW, printable for use on LH.

2. Much better service in case of IRROP even when it is my fault (I can share some very nice stories).

3. Pretty much guaranteed upgrade to F on domestic flights when one can by a mix of A and cheap eco fares. As 1P I had different experience, had to spend some time in Y.

4. Some saving on being exempt from fees, though this is less important for me.

Your profile says that you BA silver. I now have a perfect mix of BA Gold and UA 1K. I keep some status on AA to use it when flying domestically where UA does not fly or does not have convenient schedules. BA Gold gives access to relatively decent AA FL in ORD (AC in other places) when flying American, and to BA own lounges in DEN (nicer than RCC) and IAD (never have been there but I understand it is reachable from UA gates) even when flying UA. There are nice touches of BA Gold like ability to open award seats when they are not available (not guaranteed, on request). If you do not fly BA enough to make Gold - consider euro-cheating. And I hope you will agree with me that for TATL service BA is incomparable to UA, both in business and premium economy (with fares the same level as UA M fares). Upgrades on BA are much better than on LH: 12.5K miles one way from T/W to J on BA compared with 35-50K miles on LH! Plus, BA offers very reasonable I fares (business class) intra-Europe, while LH only offers full fare on local flights (well, to be honest LX offers Z fares).
I agree, except I would take UA E+ TATL over BA WT. BA is better service and catering, but for me it's more about the seat.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 1:30 pm

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by daron4000
Also, it would be useful to know that should I choose option 2, I would consider buying Pass Plus Exec, which comps 1P and allows flights on LH at a discount for subsequent years. The only question I have is whether I can, with Pass Plus, use my 1P status for upgrades/E+ and then at the gate switch my UA number with my LH number or do I have to use the 1P accural to reap the benefits of 1P status on each individual flight?
Yes, you can use your UA status all the way up to check-in, and then at check-in swap out to your LH status. I do this all the time with my BD status - I use my UA status for E+, exit rows and upgrades, and then at check-in swap my FFP to BD. Using your UA number at booking is advisable as it makes it easier to manage the booking on united.com, agents don't get confused, etc.

Just a word of warning (more like a heads up actually). Use a check-in kiosk, and make sure you push "Clear All" before you enter your LH #. My experience has been that most agents have no clue how to enter a partner FFP # - they need to blow out the number in the res, then re-enter it, and insist on them reprinting it. Most agents don't do this correctly, and even though the BP prints correctly, the rez is still associated with MP. You will likely be submitting missing mileage requests to LH, so save the BPs with the LH# on it. I usually print 2 copies just to be safe.

I'm not completely familiar with the ins and outs of BAEC, but I thought that you don't earn for less than full Y. If you sometimes buy discounted Y tickets on AA, then that might affect your earning ability.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nah.
The really big thing about M&M is that you earn a lot for premium cabin flying (325% for F on LH group + AC & UA) and your awards are not blocked by starnet.

To me this really makes the higher award levels at LH be much cheaper than UA in practice.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 3:31 pm

Just to mention, M&M SEN is valid for the next 2 years which gives you more flexibility to credit your flights to different FFPs.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 4:31 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
I would go for United 1K. The 6 SWUs are very valuable as they will let you upgrade UA flights internationally from Y to C or C to F. The SWUs may also be used on Lufthansa, but they are only valid on the day of travel. For each quarter that you fly 10,000 miles, you will receive 2 CR1s which are confirmed domestic upgrades. You would continue to earn 4-500 mile upgrades for every 10,000 miles flown on United. Finally, UA places extreme importance on its 1Ks during irrops. You may reach 1K by earning 100,000 EQMs on United and Star carriers, so you are not always obligated to fly them for every flight, but you will earn the EQMs faster due to the 150 EQM bonus on higher fare classes.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 12:30 am

Programs: UA1K, BA GLD
OT but just to correct:

Originally Posted by Boghopper
I agree, except I would take UA E+ TATL over BA WT. BA is better service and catering, but for me it's more about the seat.
I was writing about WT+ compared to E+. WT+ (T) fares are comparable to UA M fares. As far as I can compare WT+ seat is superior to E+. In fact it is more comparable to domestic F seat. In practice quite often the cheapest WT+ roundtrip fare is just $100 to $200 more than the cheapest WT fare, especially during summer.

Originally Posted by cstead
I'm not completely familiar with the ins and outs of BAEC, but I thought that you don't earn for less than full Y. If you sometimes buy discounted Y tickets on AA, then that might affect your earning ability.
This is not quite right. One can earn miles (at 25%) but not tire points (analogue of EQM) on cheap BA eco fares. On M and above (M BA is similar to M UA in terms of price and rules) one gets full tier points and miles. However BA has WT+ on longhauls that gives you 115% of miles and 125% of tier points and it has cheap I class on many shorthauls which gives you 150% of miles and 200% of tier points. When flying AA I would never credit *any* Y fare to BA - crediting to AA program is always more generous. Transcons in discounted F (A or P fares) is a different matter, BA credit is much more generous in this case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.