Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA Onboard Changes - selling snacks; alcohol increases; charge on transpacs [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Onboard Changes - selling snacks; alcohol increases; charge on transpacs [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2008, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Truthfully, is RCC for life worth trying for the 2MM & continuing w/ UA vs flying someone else who still offers service & a reasonable price?
I am tusseling with the same issue. I am considering trying CO first, and if I like it, I will jump. If not, I probably give LCC all my domestic business, and foreign carriers for overeas flights.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 7:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I am tusseling with the same issue. I am considering trying CO first, and if I like it, I will jump. If not, I probably give LCC all my domestic business, and foreign carriers for overeas flights.
That's actually what I'm starting to consider as well.

BTW - had I known now what I knew when I started out I'd be 3MM on UA by now. Back then I took whoever was convenient, so I was an elite of DL, AA, TWA, UA, and spread it all out.

Cheers.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 7:52 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
If not, I probably give LCC all my domestic business, and foreign carriers for overeas flights.
Why LCC? I can understand your frustration with UA but LCC....that's worse.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
You're joking right? Other than E+, some of the LCCs are better than UA. I flew JetBlue transcon in Feb for the first time (won a sweepstakes). E+, DirectTV w/ 36 channels (which totally rocked btw!; forget the lame IFE on the majors), free snacks, soft drinks, no luggage fees (last I heard) and free-wifi in their JFK terminal certainly beat UA. I've heard good things about Southwest & Virgin America as well (both of which offer FF programs, or VAm will in the autumn).

So given that, heck yes I'd be willing to consider them. In fact I'm telling all my friends & relatives that are not tied into the legacies to definitely go w/ the LCCs if the fares are better or comparable, and to stay away from the majors who are startign to emulate the EU LCC model.

So for me right now UA is working, but a combo of LCC/other int'l carriers is now crossing my mind - something that really takes a lot to get me to that point. But UA is getting close to that point this year.

OVMV. Cheers.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
You're joking right? Other than E+, some of the LCCs are better than UA. I flew JetBlue transcon in Feb for the first time (won a sweepstakes). E+, DirectTV w/ 36 channels (which totally rocked btw!; forget the lame IFE on the majors), free snacks, soft drinks, no luggage fees (last I heard) and free-wifi in their JFK terminal certainly beat UA. I've heard good things about Southwest & Virgin America as well (both of which offer FF programs, or VAm will in the autumn).

So given that, heck yes I'd be willing to consider them. In fact I'm telling all my friends & relatives that are not tied into the legacies to definitely go w/ the LCCs if the fares are better or comparable, and to stay away from the majors who are startign to emulate the EU LCC model.

So for me right now UA is working, but a combo of LCC/other int'l carriers is now crossing my mind - something that really takes a lot to get me to that point. But UA is getting close to that point this year.

OVMV. Cheers.
I am starting my try-out with B6 next Monday. I have heard nothing but rave review from friends who fly B6 and Virgin America. Why not, my transcon on UA is about $799 in E+, but I can fly B6 and Virgin America for half of that, and come with free food, drinks, and IFE. Yes, I can upgrade with UA, but I can also pay a bit more to sit at front on B6 and Virgin as well but for a lot less.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 8:07 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
You're joking right?
LCC is the NYSE ticker symbol for US Airways.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 8:12 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

I am starting my try-out with B6 next Monday. I have heard nothing but rave review from friends who fly B6 and Virgin America. Why not, my transcon on UA is about $799 in E+, but I can fly B6 and Virgin America for half of that, and come with free food, drinks, and IFE. Yes, I can upgrade with UA, but I can also pay a bit more to sit at front on B6 and Virgin as well but for a lot less.
This United 1K flyer secretly has a love affair with jetBlue. I've only flown them four times but found the experience to be stellar every single time.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 8:13 pm

LCC is the NYSE ticker symbol for US Airways.
Really? You're not joking? Well in that case I totally agree. I would take ANY airline over US Air! I was referring generically to 'low-cost carriers' when I mentioned LCC. How on earth did they get LCC out of USAirways for NYSE????

Cheers.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 8:14 pm

Programs: JL Diamond, CX MPC Silver, OW Emerald, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I also think some of the non-legacy carriers such as Virgin America, JetBlue are better than UA. They may not have a strong mileage program, may not have a good elite program, but, to a lot of people, fare, service, and experience are the most important things than stuff like elite status or priority boarding.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 8:16 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Originally Posted by gijoe24jp
I also think some of the non-legacy carriers such as Virgin America, JetBlue are better than UA. They may not have a strong mileage program, may not have a good elite program, but, to a lot of people, fare, service, and experience are the most important things than stuff like elite status or priority boarding.
Once you get past the crappy boarding process, even Southwest offers a pleasant coach flying experience. Their planes are always spotless and they sure know how to get people on and off the planes quickly.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 8:18 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Just the cleaner aircraft on Asian carriers and non-legacy carriers in US makes one wonder why United? It is the Mileage Plus program and the status to skip security queues.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 8:19 pm

Didn't LH buy part of JB? If so, flying them 'may' eventually get some *Alliance points in the future. Also if someone is doing only E transcon, then quite frankly JB beats UA.

OVMV. Cheers.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Originally Posted by ButIsItArt

1K drink chits just got revalued...nice change instead of stuff getting devalued
Just wait until you only get 8 chits in your kit next year...
Old Jun 26, 2008, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by TravellingMan
Just the cleaner aircraft on Asian carriers and non-legacy carriers in US makes one wonder why United? It is the Mileage Plus program and the status to skip security queues.
For me it was the ability to upgrade & redeem int'l awards. But I may investigate other int'l programs to credit to that may still allow me to get free int'l trips.

Again, I've been a 25 year flyer w/ UA & loyal even when others said I've gotten MM, should I get status on the other guys. I always stayed w/ UA. But the snip, cut, snip, cut, snip, cut, even amongst elite bennies, has me for the first time looking at the other int'l carriers. Something I wouldn't have considered before.

OVMV. Cheers.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA AA NH BR TG
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
While we like to commonly think here on FT that such a thing would make a difference, is a traveler really going to change their travel plans over a $6 drink? People choose UA for schedule, the mileage program, Economy Plus, or the price, and I'd argue not a $6 drink...
It's not just the drinks. The charge for alcohol on transpac flights is just one of many reasons why I won't fly on UA internationally. Small things add up ...

CX, SQ, ... are way ahead of UA. I gladly pay more to fly these carriers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.