Wiki Posts
Search

How early can luggage be checked? [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2008, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
On an upcoming trip I am planning on checking a bag, I am also looking to avoid a taxi charge and take the bus to the airport. The problem that arises is that my flight is at 6am and the bus does not get to the airport until 4:45, add 20 minutes to get to and through the line of the check in kiosk and you are running closer to the cutoff time than I would like. If I were to swing by the airport (MSP) the night before would they accept my bag?
You're still cutting it close, but OLCI and paying fee to check it with a redcap might be the road to take in your case. G'Luck.

Last edited by GoingAway; Jun 23, 2008 at 10:38 am Reason: b/c the darn system is broken again
Old Jun 23, 2008, 10:50 am

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
I'm in a similar situation. I go from ANC-SFO at 2:15 in the afternoon, land in SFO and have to spend the night there before my flight from SFO-HNL the next morning.

I must spend the night in SFO since there are no flights after 8 pm when I arrive. It's too bad UA doesn't allow me to check my bag in at ANC to HNL so I just need to carry what I need for the one night in SFO. After all, it's not as if I wanted to spend an extra night in SFO.
Old Jun 23, 2008, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA-LifetimePremierGold, PLT: Bonvoy, IHG, GLD: Enterprise, Budget
Originally Posted by azmmza
i called up cs before i read your responces and they said 4 hours max!
any one have personal experiance?
Depends on the station... LAX should be fine under OP

at busier airports, everyone gets there 3+ hours early (try Delhi in the evening); in sleepy Guam, CO allows you to check bags the night before for a morning flight... many folks do this
Old Dec 4, 2008, 6:13 pm

Earliest Luggage Check?

What is the earliest I can check luggage before my flight? Does it depend on airport or are all US trips the same>
Old Dec 4, 2008, 8:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
I believe you can check in and check your bags as soon as the airport opens.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 8:24 pm

Angry

United does not let you check baggage more that 4 hours before flight - will let you check in, but will not accept the baggage.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K 1MM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Four hours applies internationally as well. I was flying syd-sfo two weeks ago and was allowed to check in, but they would not check my luggage until four hours prior.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 10:13 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ejdolan
United does not let you check baggage more that 4 hours before flight - will let you check in, but will not accept the baggage.
Depends on the airport and the staff and the phase of the moon.

I've successfully checked baggage 10 hours in advance before.

But they knew me.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 1:06 am

Programs: United 1P, Hertz Gold #1 5*, Avis First, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
I've checked in with luggage at JFK approx 14 hours ahead; was connecting from an international flight on a different carrier on the same day.
Old Dec 5, 2008, 1:16 am
In Memoriam

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold
we once flew MEL-HNL on QF, switched over to UA, and they checked our luggage in almost 7hrs before our flight. It left us luggage free to catch the public bus into Waikiki. I think it might be one of those "what sort of a day" moods the agent is in.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:12 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
How many hours before flight can I check in?

I've tried searching for this without success. My apologies for not finding the thread(s).

I want to check in and check bags between 9 and 10 am in for an int'l flight leaving post-6pm from LAX. I have an idea that the maximum time I can check bags before departure is 4 hours, but can find nothing on this in FT, and the United website is particularly unhelpful also. (No surprise there, then. )

Can I check my bags in the morning and return in the evening to take the plane? If I were flying in from somewhere else in the morning with a long layover, presumably there'd be no problem about the airline holding my bags until the evening flight, so why not for the first leg?
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:24 pm

Programs: exUA, WN
I could use this info also. I've got a trip coming up w/ a 2 PM flight I'd just as soon checkin way early (assume Ticket counter is open) and spend the day working from the RCC.

But I'm not sure how soon I can do this, and I can't get my skis to the RCC. :-)
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:31 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
I thought online check in opens 24 hours prior to departure and then for actual check in at the airport, any time during the same day? e.g. after the counters open in the morning is good for travel later that day. I have no confirmation of that, but have checked in rather early (say 6 hours) before departures regularly so I can get work done in the RCC before heading out.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by ainternational
have checked in rather early (say 6 hours) before departures regularly
With checked bags? That's the real question.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Good point. I usually just do carry on. On the few times I've checked bags, I can't remember if I was there quite that early. I'm guessing if there's an issue, it'll be some sort of security related concern perhaps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.