Minimum stays for most domestic flights

Old Jun 20, 2008, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Minimum stays for most domestic flights

This is an interesting one that I just saw on the wires:

NEW YORK (AP) -- United Airlines says it will start requiring minimum stays for nearly all domestic flights starting in October. It is also raising its cheapest fares by as much as $90 one-way.

Starting October 6, most United fares will require a one- to three-night or weekend-night minimum stay.
Apart from the obvious impact on mileage runners (do you guys feel special now or what?!) -- what about those of us who occasionally do day trips for business from SFO-LAX or the like? Ouch.

Perhaps I should wait to see the details....
Old Jun 20, 2008, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA GS
Seems like they would have to exclude certain routes from this policy....i.e. LAX-SFO.

Your AP source seems to indicate that it will apply to nearly all flights.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 2:00 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
here's the full text of the ap release

AP
United Airlines to require minimum stays from Oct.
Friday June 20, 3:38 pm ET
United Airlines to start requiring minimum stays for nearly all domestic flights in October

NEW YORK (AP) -- United Airlines says it will start requiring minimum stays for nearly all domestic flights starting in October. It is also raising its cheapest fares by as much as $90 one-way.
The second-largest U.S. carrier says the moves are among a number of changes it is making to combat record high fuel prices.

Spokeswoman Robin Urbanski says the Chicago-based airline's new lowest available fares range from $69 to $199 one-way, based on length of the flight.

Starting October 6, most United fares will require a one- to three-night or weekend-night minimum stay.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 2:06 pm

Link here:

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080620/airlines_fares.html?.v=3

Is this to kill the low-fare MR?
Old Jun 20, 2008, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
I can't imagine that it will apply to ALL domestic flights. In markets where UA competes with WN, I expect they'll keep their O/W pricing, which makes the concept of a minimum stay impossible. For us in New England, that would be MHT and PVD, and BDL to some extent.

That said, I have noticed a $30 fare increase (O/W) for certain routes I track -- for the fall schedule. It seems to have stuck so far. :-(
Old Jun 20, 2008, 2:48 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Originally Posted by hobo13
I can't imagine that it will apply to ALL domestic flights. In markets where UA competes with WN, I expect they'll keep their O/W pricing, which makes the concept of a minimum stay impossible. For us in New England, that would be MHT and PVD, and BDL to some extent.

That said, I have noticed a $30 fare increase (O/W) for certain routes I track -- for the fall schedule. It seems to have stuck so far. :-(
You can't imagine... since when does logic apply to decisions made by airline executives?
Old Jun 20, 2008, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
In my academic and professional career, I've learned not to use words like ALL, EVERY, BEST, FIRST, ONLY, etc.....

So yes, I can imagine such a scenario whereby UA would require minimum stays, but would be highly surprised to see it applied to ALL routes!
Old Jun 20, 2008, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
We've heard this minimum stay talk before. I am still finding same-day or two-day MRs priced at the same levels as in 2005 when I started.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 3:40 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Thumbs down UA - New Min. Stay Requirement!

Not good. Looks like another "upgrade"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20...airlines_fares
Old Jun 20, 2008, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, SPG Lifetime Gold
"Starting Oct. 6, most United fares will require a one- to three-night or weekend-night minimum stay, spokeswoman Robin Urbanski said."

This doesn't mean you can't pay more to fly without a minimum stay, just the lowest fares will have a minimum stay. While this is news, I for one, am still surprised to see some current lowest fares not require a minimum stay (historically been a Saturday night).
Old Jun 20, 2008, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 1P
FTFA :

Major carriers scrapped most minimum-stay rules — put in place largely to discourage big-budget corporate travelers from snatching up the cheapest seats — years ago, although a number of airlines have been tightening up restrictions and tacking on fees in recent months as the price of fuel has soared.

Well, the biggest hit is business travelers. Personally, about half my business travel is between 1-2 days, but I don't pay for them so I am not that worried too much. But I can see where they are coming from.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 3:47 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
although as someone who flies cross country for a two hour meeting I will pay the fare, I am not surprised, and expect others to match this. the airlines ought to be charging folks who can and will pay more, more... and as long as they make it a Y or B so I can get an upgrade, so be it.

I think a little bit of this has been going on even without an anouncement. Suddenly in the last month what used to be an H or lower fare is now a full Y and its costing me $1400-1800 to fly RT. fares are like pre-dot bomb crash. I don't think they have run out of lower fares, I think they have changed what will show up in a search.

(CO has done this for a while, offering a slightly higher Y or B fare that is upgradable, perhaps UA is now doing the same by just not offering the lower fare.)

If others don't march, UA will back down, but I expect others to follow (if they have not already done so).
Old Jun 20, 2008, 3:48 pm

Programs: VX, UA 2P
Originally Posted by cricketer
...Apart from the obvious impact on mileage runners (do you guys feel special now or what?!) -- what about those of us who occasionally do day trips for business from SFO-LAX or the like? Ouch...
Try another airline perhaps?
Old Jun 20, 2008, 3:56 pm

Wall Street Journal is reporting the same news.

The management of the legacy carriers are clueless.

I used to fly to Dallas for business. Now, I almost always drive, especially when AA wants to charge $700 for a day trip.

I used to fly to Omaha for business. Now, I drive 100% of the time.

Used to almost always fly to STL (7 hour drive). I'm driving in early August.

The legacy airlines seem to believe business demand for air travel is inelastic. I believe these latest requirements will prove them wrong and that it will backfire both in terms of revenue and business customer loyalty.
Old Jun 20, 2008, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Wow, this is BY FAR the DUMBEST rule I have seen an airline make in the past 5 years. I'm burning up my miles and off I go to another airline.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.