Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Annual Meeting

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2008, 2:38 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
United Annual Meeting

I just noticed that United's annual meeting is tomorrow at the Marriott in Woodland Hills, CA. Strange place to have it (almost 30 miles from LAX), but it's really close to my house.

I don't own UAUA, but it sure would be fun to attend. Anyone know if one can get into the meeting, without evidence that you own the stock, or have a proxy for someone?

Also I noticed that some of the unions are having a rally in a park just behind the hotel. That too should be entertaining.

Googling and visiting UAL.com's investor relations pages did not give me much info to go on.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 2:45 pm

I believe that as long as you bring along some "reasonable" proof of stock owenership, such as a brokerage statement showing you owned UAUA as of the record date, they always have to let you in, even without the formal ticket.

Is this the first year there has been no glitzy annual report in addition to the 10-K form, by the way? Or did I miss the report?
Old Jun 11, 2008, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by Craig6z
I just noticed that United's annual meeting is tomorrow at the Marriott in Woodland Hills, CA. Strange place to have it (almost 30 miles from LAX), but it's really close to my house.

I don't own UAUA, but it sure would be fun to attend. Anyone know if one can get into the meeting, without evidence that you own the stock, or have a proxy for someone?

Also I noticed that some of the unions are having a rally in a park just behind the hotel. That too should be entertaining.

Googling and visiting UAL.com's investor relations pages did not give me much info to go on.
1. Open an Ameritrade account...
2. Spend market price (7.22 close today) + 10.99 for a market order
3. Attend meeting as a stockholder

Also, IIRC there was actually a MP deal to open an ameritrade account (but it could have expired).
Old Jun 11, 2008, 3:07 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Dang it! I'm in OC tomorrow... I shoulda changed my schedule so I could be closer in that neck of the woods.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 3:15 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Suppose I can put in a buy order at the 6:30am opening. Might be worth the $18 admission fee. I have an online account with a competitor of Ameritrade that charges about a buck less, and I'll get an instant confirm.

Of course I would not be an owner as of whatever the "record date" was. Anyone have some thoughts as to whether they will be hard-@ssed about this subjectivity>

Now to figure out what time it starts, and whether I can put off some work related chores I have scheduled for tomorrow.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 3:19 pm

Suppose I can put in a buy order at the 6:30am opening. Might be worth the $18 admission fee. I have an online account with a competitor of Ameritrade that charges about a buck less, and I'll get an instant confirm.

Of course I would not be an owner as of whatever the "record date" was. Anyone have some thoughts as to whether they will be hard-@ssed about this subjectivity>

Now to figure out what time it starts, and whether I can put off some work related chores I have scheduled for tomorrow.
Let us know if you get in. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if they decline -- who knows what SEC regulations might be violated if they let you in (and thus presumably let you vote your one share) when it's clear that you are not a permissible voter due to the record date problem.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 3:31 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

I just called my wife who is a securities compliance consultant and asked her about whether they would have to let me in. She's going to ask around, but she thinks it will be entirely at UAUA's discretion (kind of what Starman is alluding to). She did say that even though I will buy a share in the morning, the trade legally will not clear in the same day. Consequently I wouldn't be an official shareholder tomorrow morning.

Update: My wife just talked to the principal of one of her broker/dealer clients, and he said it would be highly unlikely if they bar my entry. If they ask, just tell them I'm an indirect holder (for all I know the stock is actually in one or more of the 50+ mutual funds my family has pieces of). Also if I wear a suit, that would also help my admission.

Last edited by Craig6z; Jun 11, 2008 at 3:50 pm
Old Jun 11, 2008, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
I guess I find myself wondering just WHY you want to go? If UA gave me a share I wouldn't show up. Is there any particular reason you want to be there? It seems like a complete waste of a day
Old Jun 11, 2008, 3:36 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
I have been to a couple corporate annual meetings for large companies in the past and I was not a shareholder of either company and was not requested to provide any kind of proof that I was a shareholder.

Edited: Then again, neither of the ones I went to were having deep troubles or union problems.

Last edited by SEA1K4EVR; Jun 11, 2008 at 3:42 pm
Old Jun 11, 2008, 3:37 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

I have this delusion it might be entertaining, with all the mis-steps Tilden has made in the last year, and the fact the unions will be protesting across the street. It is very convenient for me, and I really do not have to go into my office tomorrow. Plus a buddy of mine has been trying to get me to meet him for lunch, and his office is next door.

Of course pretty much every annual meeting I've been to over the years for other firms, have been real yawners.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 3:43 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
There is some FTer who is a shareholder and has posted before. Maybe you can get a proxy?

Here is the thread.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 4:10 pm

Should be an interesting meeting--stock may hit an all-time low tomorrow.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The real question is whether Evelyn Y. Davis shows up, like she did at today's USAir annual meeting. Here's some discussion of the circus, largely from the perspective of USAir employees:

http://www.usaviation.com/forums/ind...howtopic=41937

She was in Tempe today (Wednesday), so it would be easy for her to get to Woodland Hills on Thursday. I live near Warner Center and if I didn't already have plans to be in Sherman Oaks tomorrow, I'd attend just to see the fireworks she can incite.
Old Jun 11, 2008, 10:38 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
1. Open an Ameritrade account...
2. Spend market price (7.22 close today) + 10.99 for a market order
3. Attend meeting as a stockholder

Also, IIRC there was actually a MP deal to open an ameritrade account (but it could have expired).
Won't work if they want to be picky, you have to be holding the stock as of the record date, which typically is several weeks before the meeting date.

However, no SEC regulations are broken if they let you attend, the SEC is generally always OK with anything that involves giving MORE public disclosure. They can't let you actually VOTE on anything without being a shareholder on the record date.

I had a grim experience years ago at that Marriott, but nothing that would cause a problem with a meeting. One reason for holding a meeting in that location could well be to make it harder for people in the Chicago area to attend (i.e., a lot of union people?).

Last edited by RichardInSF; Jun 11, 2008 at 10:44 pm
Old Jun 12, 2008, 8:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Of course pretty much every annual meeting I've been to over the years for other firms, have been real yawners.
Did you decide to go?

While many annual meetings cure insomnia, these are very crazy times for UA and could be an intersting meeting. FWIW, I have always found UA's conference calls and investors days quite informative and entertaining.

Finally, my gut say it was NOT a coincidence that UA announced the 15.00 fee on the day of the annual meeting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.