Wiki Posts
Search

Vigilante Justice in Red Carpet Boarding

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2008, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP 100K
Vigilante Justice in Red Carpet Boarding

After reading all the complaints on this board about trespassers and other clueless pax in the red carpet line, I thought this was an interesting experience:

On Saturday I flew SFO-IAD in coach. When boarding started, I lined up at the back of the FC, GS, 1K line. Passenger next to me kept staring quite obviously at my BP, then just before we were about to board, informs me,

"You have to board in the other line with the rest of the economy pax."
Me: "As a 1K, can't I board in this line?"
Him: "Oh, did they call 1Ks, I didn't notice." Sulks moodily off into the plane.

It sometimes bugs me too when everybody smashes into wrong line, but is it really worth rudely telling others where to board? Just let the GAs sort things out!
Old Jun 9, 2008, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K
The problem is that a lot of the time the GA's won't screen out 1Ps or 2Ps.

Still, it is a bit obnoxious for that guy to call you out without knowing you weren't a 1K.

What would make this even better, is if the guy who called you out was really a 2P himself!
Old Jun 9, 2008, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LGACIC
Just let the GAs sort things out!
Exactly--unless you have a very good snide remark that would put a line cutter in his place!
Old Jun 9, 2008, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, RCC, PreChk , Hertz 5* Gold, HH Silver, SPG Gold thx to Amex Plat
Just yesterday, while boarding an oversold LAX-SFO flight (I was in F), a couple with area 2 cards was jockeying for position on the carpet. I stepped in front of them and they followed right behind me.

I overheard the woman say to her companion, "don't worry, he (the GA) won't say anything"...and she was right.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by ger3sf
Just yesterday, while boarding an oversold LAX-SFO flight (I was in F)
Which of the oversold LAX-SFO was this yesterday? Perhaps the 8:44am with the large group of asian students carrying trophies larger than they were?
Old Jun 9, 2008, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
I see GA's enforcing the rules more often than not, including all my flights this weekend. Gets people every time.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 12:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

It was probably a Flyertalker.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 1:00 pm

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Which of the oversold LAX-SFO was this yesterday? Perhaps the 8:44am with the large group of asian students carrying trophies larger than they were?
i've seen that before on the LAX-SFO coded to KIX and PVG. They always have trophies, monstrous duffel bags, musical instruments or something else that seems bigger than they are!
Old Jun 9, 2008, 1:01 pm
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
Originally Posted by LGACIC
Him: "Oh, did they call 1Ks, I didn't notice." Sulks moodily off into the plane.
So I'm assuming he was in F himself?
Old Jun 9, 2008, 1:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA MM Lifetime Gold, BA Silver
Had a similar experience recently. I was flying with the family and so of course the overweight paper clip and brake pad salesmen from the mid-west think that I must be an idiot who flies once a year to Orlando. And so they pushed ahead of the young family to elbow their way onto the Red Carpet - because after all they were all-important 1K's. I walked up the GA and quietly mentioned that we were GS and would she mind boarding us ahead of these guys. I don't think they ever knew were GS and they seemed miffed that I had "cut" them in line.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, RCC, PreChk , Hertz 5* Gold, HH Silver, SPG Gold thx to Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
No...1:25pm (UA808, 757).
Old Jun 9, 2008, 1:26 pm

Programs: Alaska-MVP100k; AA-Plat; HH-Diamond; Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by rives21
the overweight paper clip and brake pad salesmen from the mid-west
Now I know that even God has to get in line behind a GS member. But was the above looks-based, geography-based and profession-based one-two-three punch really necessary?
Old Jun 9, 2008, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by rives21
the overweight paper clip and brake pad salesmen from the mid-west...

Originally Posted by WASBLR
Now I know that even God has to get in line behind a GS member. But was the above looks-based, geography-based and profession-based one-two-three punch really necessary?
Come on! Lighten up on the PCness! I found that comment hilarious!!! I could just picture the guy while I was reading rives21's comments! ROTFL!!
Old Jun 9, 2008, 2:19 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Thankfully of late, I've seen the GA's enforce the red carpet lane, and have people move to the side that try to board early. I've also heard them make numerous announcements about where to line up and what the 1-4 on your BP means.
My main beef, is when they lump GS, F, 1k and group 1 and call together. If you're not hanging out like gate lice, you get stuck boarding w/ a ton of people.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 3:20 pm
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
Originally Posted by WASBLR
Lighten up Francis.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.