Wiki Posts
Search

How to get free/complimentary upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2008, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA General
How to get free/complimentary upgrades?

I have heard stories of free upgrades, but I don't really know how to approach the airline and ask. The only I got a free upgrade was when UA screwed up and had to put me on the next flight which I got a Business class seat.

I am a UA 2P member...not sure if it makes any difference?!

Thanks!

Last edited by dreamfool; Oct 1, 2008 at 12:30 pm Reason: Clarify my status
Old May 29, 2008, 8:12 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm not sure what "3M" status is, but UA's policy is no 'free' upgrades for anyone.

Complimentry upgrades are earned and can be used accordingly, but the only case you can get a 'free' upgrade (without paying for it somehow) is an exception to the rule.
Old May 29, 2008, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to posting on FlyerTalk, dreamfool!^

At UA there isn't really such a thing as a "free upgrade." If you're flying full fare within region one you can get a "complimentary upgrade," but of course that'll be a high fare to begin with. Then you can support upgrades with miles, 500 mile upgrades, etc. The only time UA gives out upgrades without being supported by an upgrade instrument is when they do operational upgrades. This is usually when a flight is oversold in coach and they need to move people up, but that assumes that there's room in F, which is somewhat rare nowadays. Other than that, not really any way to get free upgrades, sorry.
Old May 29, 2008, 8:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Elites get complimentary upgrades for purchasing select B and Y fares.
Old May 29, 2008, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K;
I have been a 1K for years and have yet to get a Op Up (free) upgrade.

The stars have to be aligned just right for it to happen. There is nothing that I know of that you can do to make it happen.
Old May 29, 2008, 10:28 pm

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
I recently got my first one. I was flying TATL on "one of those fares discussed in the MR forum" and got upgraded.
Never expected that
Old May 29, 2008, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
When I was Premier Exe got lots of Op-Up international, never got one since 1K
Old May 29, 2008, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I got op-up to C SFO-TPE this week - can't beat a 12hour flight freebie!
Old May 29, 2008, 11:02 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by Ari
I'm not sure what "3M" status is, but UA's policy is no 'free' upgrades for anyone.
Being "3M" would make getting upgrades kind of a sticky situation, don't you think?

Sigh. Oh for the good old days, when people would endlessly debate their version and embellishments of "The Speech" and think they had the inside line on how to act & look & talk and that the world would worship the earth they stood on.
Old May 29, 2008, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky

Sigh. Oh for the good old days, when people would endlessly debate their version and embellishments of "The Speech" and think they had the inside line on how to act & look & talk and that the world would worship the earth they stood on.
Good old days are gone Mike! At that time I have no SWU's and nothing to lose, but it work lots of time for me
Old May 30, 2008, 12:23 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I still want to know what "3M" means.
Old May 30, 2008, 12:27 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
I still want to know what "3M" means.
Betcha he means 3P.
Old May 30, 2008, 1:00 am

I recently saw a listing on eBay where the seller was such slime that was advertising the use "compliment a ua employee" certificates (given to elites to hand out when rewarding good service) as a token to get free upgrades!!

As you'll find on FT in a really good thread (I just failed to find - try searching for "upgrade" ), a gate agent explained the most common process. The bottomline is that they need a seat in a lower class. Overbooking, accommodating families.....only a few other exceptions. And all tricks described at length (like "the speech") are based upon the premise that the GA needs a seat for someone.

Anything else is supported by some instrument, or done by the purchase of a higher fare as stated before. Elites get 'free' upgrade certificates.
Old May 30, 2008, 1:46 am

Programs: UA 2P
depends on what you mean by free

if, what you mean by free is paying for an economy seat (or not paying at all!) at the time of booking but sitting in a Business or First class seat then there are tons of ways...

1) fly a lot and accumulate enoungh miles to book an award seat in Business or First
2) purchase an economy seat and confirm upgrade with miles (either at time of booking or closer to departure)
3) achieve status and earn 4-e500 mile upgrade certs for every 10,000 butt-in-seat miles flown and use these to confirm a one class of service upgrade on a purchased ticket (b/w 120 hours and 0 hours before flight, depending on status and availability)
4) acheive 1K status and earn CR-1 (confirmed region 1 upgrades) or SWU (systemwide upgrades) and use these to confrim a one class of service upgrade on a purchased ticket (at the time of purchase, subject to availability)
5) luck out and get the semi-mythical "operational upgrade" (i.e., the 'truely free' upgrade alot of the other FT'ers are mentioning in response) - p.s. do a search for the term to get tips and how-to's
6) negotiate in a VDB (voluntary denied boarding) or IDB (involuntary denied boarding) or IRROPS (irregular operations) situation - this seems to be what you mean when 'UA screws up' - the free upgrade you experienced

hope that helps... other FT'ers will let you know if I missed any

p.s. welcome to FT!
Old May 30, 2008, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by dreamfool
I have heard stories of free upgrades, but I don't really know how to approach the airline and ask. The only I got a free upgrade was when UA screwed up and had to put me on the next flight which I got a Business class seat.

I am a UA 3M member...not sure if it makes any difference?!

Thanks!
3M as in 3 million lifetime miles? Why are you asking us, we should be asking you?

Try "The Speech".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.