Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "UA Operations at Detroit (DTW)" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "UA Operations at Detroit (DTW)" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2008, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by BH62
Passed thru DTW about 3 wks ago; "new" terminal appeared to be in the shell stage. Seemed like a stretch for Sept operation; more likely later, maybe November? Thoroughly agree that the present terminal is a pit; not only that, but the forlorn Starbucks at the end of the A concourse is easily among the worst in the whole company. But YMMV; is FT an appropriate place to start such a thread?
I don't know how close you were to the terminal, but a couple of months ago they were working like little beavers on the inside stuff. From a distance most airport terminals look like a shell. Most of the working stuff is down low or further back in the terminal building. They may change the date, but I know they are coming along.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Yes, the change to the new terminal for all Smith Terminal airlines, including UA, is this Wednesday (9/17). UA goes to 2 gates from its current 3 1/2. I'm not aware of any domestic lounges UA customers can use in the new terminal.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 2:43 pm
BCH

Originally Posted by flyinbob
Yes, the change to the new terminal for all Smith Terminal airlines, including UA, is this Wednesday (9/17). UA goes to 2 gates from its current 3 1/2. I'm not aware of any domestic lounges UA customers can use in the new terminal.
I know that LH is building a lounge to serve its customers when its flights move to NORTH Terminal in a few months. And a United gate agent told me that there were plans for a shared Star Alliance lounge. But I see nothing on a terminal map that would indicate presence of a lounge.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 5:50 am

Programs: UA *G MM, DL, EK, ICH Plat
Apparently, there will be four gates in the new north terminal with access to customs. That means that Lufthansa will only have to use that terminal. They have been operating an "all business" flight to Dusseldorf. It would make sense to me that they would move to their club to the new terminal, but I seriously doubt it would have *A access.

Edit: My bad...it's a non-stop to FRA with all classes of service. The "all business" is from ORD.

Last edited by markontime; Sep 16, 2008 at 5:55 am
Old Sep 17, 2008, 7:15 pm

Lufthansa Senator Lounge in DTW right across from UAL gates

Flew out of the new DTW terminal today. Right across from the United gates was a temporary Lufthansa Senator lounge that they let me into as a Star Gold. A permanent Lufthansa Senator and Business lounge will be open next month just down the hallway. Sort of makes up for the closing of the RCC in MSP...
Old Sep 18, 2008, 9:49 pm

Programs: UA: 2P; NW: Wishing I had status to avoid the cattle call they call a boarding process
Regular UA DTW-ORD flier report on North Terminal

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Pity me. I'm a Lions fan.
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
I guess thaty makes you and me the only ones.
+1.

Worse yet, I have had season tix for 20 years and last week even got my first tattoo - the old school lions logo with the prowling lion and the blue and grey bars.

Back on topic, I fly DTW-ORD every week for work. I got my first look at the new terminal today. We flew in on the CRJ-700 and when we got to the gate they had issues getting the CRJ boarding plank and the jetway to play nice with each other. After working on it for five minutes or so, they decided the heck with it and just told pax to watch their step as they deboard. Also, they haven't worked out how to return gate checked luggage yet so I ended up having to hike down to baggage claim to get my rollaboard. I will say that the North baggage claim area is much nicer and spacious than Smith's, much like McNamara's. Just a couple of minor issues that I am sure will get worked out as ops ramp up.

I think they should have waited a couple more weeks before opening the new terminal as there is still considerable construction going on. Having said that, I think that even at 90% complete the new terminal blows the old Smith Terminal away. I love the spacious layout and moving walkways and the selection of restaraunts and shops.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 9:41 pm

Programs: United GS 1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
any updated lounge information for RCC and *G passengers?
Old Sep 19, 2008, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA-LifetimePremierGold, PLT: Bonvoy, IHG, GLD: Enterprise, Budget
any updates ?? UA started flying out of the new terminal this week.

Old Sep 27, 2008, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by panjfj
any updated lounge information for RCC and *G passengers?
The only lounge in the North Terminal is/will be the LH Senator/Business Lounge. As noted, there's a temporary lounge area now but the real club will open in a month or so. Once open, the LH club will be accessible under the same policies as any other LH club in the USA.
Old Sep 29, 2008, 5:22 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I flew through Detroit's new North Terminal last week (9/23). My quick first impressions:

- Clean and modern. Even has that "new airport" smell, especially in the jetways.
- Enough space for current traffic levels
- Very fast exit/entry
- Food options not much better than Smith terminal, though it looks like there's room for new restaurants to open
- Design is ugly. In 40 years it will look like the Smith terminal looks today.
Old Sep 30, 2008, 12:21 pm

Programs: was UA 1K now Gold, cuz UA 1.3 MM; HA,DL,AS (no status in these), Marriott Gold
Further observations re (new) North Terminal at DTW. Passed through just this last week. UA gates are a lonnngg way from baggage & checkin. There are two moving walkways, but still a lot of hoofing between them. Didn't see any Starbucks, but had Caribou coffee & a goody from a place called Boulangerie (sp?); both good. Noticed several Coffee Beanery concessions, too. Pickup & dropoff for car rentals is outside on a sidewalk, quite a ways from the covered entry. OK in good weather, but what about rain/snow? Queried the car shuttle driver about this & he said something to the effect that this pickup location is temporary until some additional roadways(?) are opened ... presumably, there might be a covered platform. Anyone know for sure? I do *not* miss the old terminal one bit ... the A concourse was a classic pit w/ one of the worst Starbucks anywhere. And finally, GO BLUE!
Old Sep 25, 2012, 4:24 pm

business lounge at DTW for United Airline?

Try to find out is that any business lounge at DTW for United Airline?
Old Sep 25, 2012, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by coco11
Try to find out is that any business lounge at DTW for United Airline?
If you are *A Gold member then there is a LH lounge that you can use. Not sure if that answers you question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.