Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "UA Operations at Detroit (DTW)" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "UA Operations at Detroit (DTW)" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2008, 7:30 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
It's a shame the city is such a hole. A new terminal almost makes me want to visit again... almost.
Old May 28, 2008, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by BCH
Does anyone know when the new terminal at Detroit Metro Airport will open? United is scheduled to move into that one, and it will have a joint Star Alliance lounge. Thanks.
So under what conditions will a United pax with C or F BP, *G card, or
RCC card get access to this lounge? Ditto guests?
Old May 28, 2008, 7:41 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

I am looking forward to the new terminal. The old Smith Terminal is truly the skankiest airport in the USA.

Think about it... the car rental terminals at airports such as PHX and FLL are nicer!
Old May 28, 2008, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MileageAddict
I am looking forward to the new terminal. The old Smith Terminal is truly the skankiest airport in the USA.

Think about it... the car rental terminals at airports such as PHX and FLL are nicer!
Not that it needs an endorsement, but man, you are right about that decrepit place. I think the last time they put new monitors in the airside portion of the terminal, the Detroit Lions were good.
Old May 28, 2008, 9:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by LessO2
the last time they put new monitors in the airside portion of the terminal, the Detroit Lions were good.
Pity me. I'm a Lions fan.
Old May 28, 2008, 11:42 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
actually the new macnamera terminal is, i think, the nicest domestic terminal in the US. Easy to use, open/spacious, but just skyteam.... (and LH flights)

I remember connecting on NW in like 2002 just before NW moved, and the old smith terminal was not only dingy, but the most cramped place i had ever seen... its bad now, but then it was like a 3rd world terminal. now just 2nd world...
Old May 29, 2008, 5:00 am

Programs: UA-LifetimePremierGold, PLT: Bonvoy, IHG, GLD: Enterprise, Budget
Originally Posted by spin88
actually the new macnamera terminal is, i think, the nicest domestic terminal in the US. Easy to use, open/spacious, but just skyteam.... (and LH flights)
I fly to/from DTW at least 2x/week using UA on the old Smith terminal... which is one of those 'armpit' terminals - reminds me of the UX section at LAX 10 years ago. Security is quick, and they have Elite line (rarely deployed).

The new NW/LH/etc terminal MacNamara - IS pretty nice. I hear the new UA/AA/etc one will be pretty good too. Good to hear there will be an RCC/*A club, as DTW is bad for delays/OTD etc in the winter.

Everyone's still saying September-ish...
Old May 29, 2008, 7:01 am

Programs: Star Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
The Smith terminal was absolutely terrible 15 years ago. Nothing has changed since. It's funny how varied an experience it is from the McNamara terminal which certainly is one of the nicest terminals in the country.
Old May 29, 2008, 7:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Pity me. I'm a Lions fan.
I guess thaty makes you and me the only ones.

Originally Posted by mre5765
Originally Posted by BCH
Does anyone know when the new terminal at Detroit Metro Airport will open? United is scheduled to move into that one, and it will have a joint Star Alliance lounge. Thanks.
So under what conditions will a United pax with C or F BP, *G card, or
RCC card get access to this lounge? Ditto guests?
For those who didn't know LH has had a lounge in the Mac terminal.... If you were *G (and could talk your way through security) flying intl you could gain access (I never had an opportunity to try, but a cowroker reported success).

Originally Posted by nsx1164
Security is quick, and they have Elite line (rarely deployed).
IME it has always been deployed, just never ever marked. Just flash your card/BP to the rent a cop at the front of the line, and they open the "line" But YMMV
Old May 29, 2008, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.

I figure once NW started to build their new terminal, the DTW authorities decided it's easier to scrap Smith and build a new one, thus letting it go to all hell.

Makes sense, no reason in keeping it in some sort of decent shape if it's going to see the bulldozer anyways.

McNamara is easily one of the top terminals in this country. I love flying through there. It's long, but it works.
Old May 29, 2008, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TonySCV
It's a shame the city is such a hole. A new terminal almost makes me want to visit again... almost.
+1 to that. We went up there for the Cup Finals game on Monday and it was thoroughly depressing. Very small chance I'll ever be visiting DTW.
Old May 29, 2008, 2:03 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Hilton Silver VIP

I second this...with Smith Terminal closing, does UA's midfield terminal at IAD now rank as the skankiest terminal at a major airport in the US?
Old May 29, 2008, 3:26 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

For those who have never visited DTW Smith Terminal, it is truly disgusting. Imagine an airport terminal with the ambiance of a city center bus terminal. Mold growing on the ceiling, buckets distributed to catch rain from the leaky roof, windows with cracks, missing floor tiles, filthy bathrooms. The only unique aspect I like about the SMith Terminal is the ticketing area. Oh, don't get me wrong, it is skanky as well but... for an old guy like me, it brings back memories of flying as a small child in the late 1960's. Excluding signage, nothing has changed! It's kind of cool if you are intro retro design.
Old May 29, 2008, 3:32 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
For those who have never visited DTW Smith Terminal, it is truly disgusting.
I've been there once, and that was well enough for me. Never again have I considered inserting DTW into a UA MR.
Old May 29, 2008, 3:50 pm

Programs: second-tier member of various hotel and airline programs
Imagine an airport terminal with the ambiance of a city center bus terminal.
Amen! If it wasn't for Ann Arbor I'd avoid the whole painful experience.

Once when delayed at that terminal involuntarily for several hours and unable to find a single working power outlet, I repaired to the bar area, hoping that alcohol would dull the overall forlorn impression. As I sat there with my sad little Bloody Mary watching the flickering screen of the 19" television I made eye contact with the staff and they, too, looked sad. I hope some of them find jobs in the shiny new terminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.