Wiki Posts
Search

Int'l vs. Dom 763

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2008, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
Int'l vs. Dom 763

Just a quick question that I don't remember seeing answered anywhere. Does the international 763 (either old or new) have the same undersized overhead bins as domestic, or are they at least enough larger to fit a typical rollaboard in wheels first? Will be stuck in one ORD-LHR in a few weeks, and might want to plan my choice of carry-on accordingly.
Old May 27, 2008, 8:23 pm

Programs: VX Elevate, UA 2P, SPG Gold
The bins are identical on the domestic and international 767s. The only exceptions are the 2 reconfigured int'l 763s which have modified bins in F and C but I've heard they are still too small for a carryon wheels first.
Old May 27, 2008, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N334AA
The bins are identical on the domestic and international 767s. The only exceptions are the 2 reconfigured int'l 763s which have modified bins in F and C but I've heard they are still too small for a carryon wheels first.
My understanding is that they're the same size in the new config, and that they just put on nicer panels to make them look nicer.
Old May 27, 2008, 8:51 pm

Programs: AV LifeMiles, CM ConnectMiles, BA Exec Club. Former:ex-ASGold, ex-UA1K, ex-COPlat, ex-NWGold.
Was just on a new-config 763 in C. As lucky noted, the C & F cabins have new overheads. It's the "Boeing Signature Interior" style "wave", similar to the 777 but smaller due to the narrower cabin. I think the bins are very slightly bigger, because they do bow outward slightly in the center section rather than the flat style. The side bins drop down like the 777 instead of the stupid flat door on the old 763 where the bottom of the bin is less deep than the top which makes the width of the top useless. So you can use the whole depth of the bin. However because the 763 is such a narrow "wide" body, there's no way a standard rollaboard is going in wheels in/out. However you at least have a better shot at getting it in sideways compared to the old bins.

Of course UA didn't spend a blessed dime on re-doing the bins in coach. So the plane looks like a 2008 Saturn Aura in the front with a 64 Chevelle Malibu Wagon rear end tacked onto it.

Oh yeah they didn't fix the Channel 9 hum either. However they did manage to put in a delay in the PA audio between coach and the front, so that every time the pilots or FAs make an announcement you get a weird echo chamber effect.
Old May 28, 2008, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
Thanks -- at least I know what to look forward to. I'll be in C, so that's a slight help, anyway.

Flew a 763 last weekend for the first time in years, so got to hear what that "hum" is on Channel 9. It was always present on earlier models of aircraft, as well (DC-8, probably the 720 -- they only had audio on ORD-LAX and I lived in SFO, 727-200). Whether or not it's what's coming over the radio, that sound is identical to that made by the hydraulics system on the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.