Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Online Check-in to USA from UK on a BD codeshare flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2008, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver

Hi everyone - this board is foreign territory for me so please be kind!

I will be flying to the US on United for the first time soon.

I have read the FAQ thread however it doesn't cover my question and a search didn't reveal anything either.

I am a little concerned about my upcoming trip as:

1 - I am not convinced I can online check-in out of Heathrow with United on a British Midland codeshare ticket.

2 - It is not clear on the United website if you can check-in on flights from the UK to the USA at all.

3 - How is advance passenger information captured for the US? On British Airways, it can be done at time of booking ahead of online check-in however the United website doesn't say how it is captured. It just says it has to be captured which I know already and therefore doesn't help much!

4 - Expertflyer shows the Economy Plus section (or whatever it's called) to be totally sold. Is this reality or does United make it look full and hold the seats back in some way? Do these get released at Online Checkin?

I am stuck in the middle seat of the 5 seat section in Coach on a 777. The flight looks busy on Expertflyer as ideally I would have like a window or an aisle so hoping to get something better at OLCI - hence my questions.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old May 20, 2008, 12:56 pm

Expertflyer will show E+ as blocked out. It can only be seen by UA elite members. After E- is full, UA will fill E+ with non-elites. If you OCLI, you may (no guarantees) get the opportunity to buy up to E+. Probably be $100 or so. I don't think OCLI will help your case unless one of the seats in E- opens in advance. You can also ask about an E+ buyup when you check-in at the airport.

You are probably best removing your seat assignment and having UA assign it at the airport. It would be hard to get a worse seat. If E- is full, they'll move you to E+ which will at least get you extra legroom in a middle seat.

Getting an exit row will be hard.
Old May 20, 2008, 2:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by flyclub
It is not clear on the United website if you can check-in on flights from the UK to the USA at all.
What's unclear? It says right on the OLCI page (emphasis added)
Check in 24 hours before your flight, up to 1 hour before your domestic flight and up to 2 hours before your international flight originating in the U.S.
Old May 20, 2008, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Concorde Room card, KLM Silver, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, UA Premier Silver
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
What's unclear? It says right on the OLCI page (emphasis added)
Indeed however an extra bit confirming OLCI is NOT available from Europe on the International websites wouldn't go amiss for extra clarity.

So it sounds like Check-in will take ages if they will be asking where I'm staying, etc when I get to check-in.... and the other 200 odd people also checking in.

It is most annoying as if it had been done in advance online it would have been quicker at the airport. I know Continental have a such a system in place.
Old May 20, 2008, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
I'm guessing you will be able to use the check-in kiosks at Heathrow. United has a few of them in their check-in area. Just remember that you cannot use your BMI booking reference to retrieve the United reservation on the kiosk -- you will have to use some other means (such as last name or other identifying factor) to retrieve the booking. Alternatively, you can call United in advance and get the United-specific locator reference.
Old May 20, 2008, 3:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JohnnyP
I'm guessing you will be able to use the check-in kiosks at Heathrow. United has a few of them in their check-in area. Just remember that you cannot use your BMI booking reference to retrieve the United reservation on the kiosk -- you will have to use some other means (such as last name or other identifying factor) to retrieve the booking. Alternatively, you can call United in advance and get the United-specific locator reference.
I have the United reference from looking the BMI one up on checkmytrip.

The kiosk bit sounds interesting. I am overnight at Heathrow and will be handbaggage only.

I am guessing I cannot go to Terminal 3 the evening before and check-in?

The flight is very early morning.
Old May 21, 2008, 12:15 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
Originally Posted by flyclub
I have the United reference from looking the BMI one up on checkmytrip.

The kiosk bit sounds interesting. I am overnight at Heathrow and will be handbaggage only.

I am guessing I cannot go to Terminal 3 the evening before and check-in?

The flight is very early morning.
Definitely use the kiosk; they'll try to steer you in that direction, anyway. It will present you with an option to change your seat, as well as pay up to E+ (if available).

Last time I flew the demographic information went on a separate boarding pass-like card and I just handed it in to the agent when I checked my bags (I know, I know, but I'd just come off a trans-Atlantic cruise with suit and tux required in addition to real clothes). Since you're not checking bags, you can also turn it in at the gate.
Old May 23, 2008, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dliesse
Definitely use the kiosk; they'll try to steer you in that direction, anyway. It will present you with an option to change your seat, as well as pay up to E+ (if available).

Last time I flew the demographic information went on a separate boarding pass-like card and I just handed it in to the agent when I checked my bags (I know, I know, but I'd just come off a trans-Atlantic cruise with suit and tux required in addition to real clothes). Since you're not checking bags, you can also turn it in at the gate.
Thanks for that - the kiosk seems the way to go then.

I'm guessing as Star Gold I could use Business Class checkin anyway - however having to spell out the hotel name, address, zip code etc on the day at checkin is bound to take longer than having it done on line at your leisure in advance of travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.