Are upgrades changing, too?

Old May 16, 08, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold / mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jsgoldbe View Post
I like the UA upgrade system. Makes you pick which flights are important enough to you to chance on an upgrade vs. purchasing the F or C tix.
Right....but of course, everyone picks the same flights, meaning (especialy on a 319) most of us lose (even as 1K).
Old May 17, 08, 9:52 am

Programs: DL gold; UA - 1k; AA gold; Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; SPG gold; Groupon Falcon;
(1) the "change" to the base miles does not appear to impact, ipso facto, upgrade rules.

(2) if UA and US merge, there will obviously have to be some integration of the upgrade policies - whoich carrier's system gets adopted is rather speculative.

(3) GS and 1K's would benefit from an "unlimited" system, given that F is, essentially, rationed and the e-cert system forces GS and 1K's to pick and choose their upgrades, at times opting for the Y cabin, creating opportunities for 1P's and 2P's to burn their certificates. In an unlimited system, 1K's will consistently be at the front of the line, limiting the opportunities for their poor country cousin 1P's and 2P's.

Since I respect the free market, I will not declare anything fair or unfair - I'll just observe what dynamics shake out.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: