Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

ps F at the SFO RCC - are you entitled to drink chits?

Old May 14, 08, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold

I just read the *S file and it doesn't look like it says anything about getting drinks. Anyone have any experience with getting, or arguing for, drink chits?

Edit: will be flying it soon and want to be ready to argue if necessary ala lucky
Old May 14, 08, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I don't think they have any drink chits in the domestic RCC
Old May 14, 08, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sadly no drink chits, but I would never argue with the wonderful people at the SFO RCC. If you want a battle go to the IFL, which you're technically entitled to use.
Old May 14, 08, 9:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD Gold (and future SEN), 0.2MM AA EXP, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins View Post
Sadly no drink chits, but I would never argue with the wonderful people at the SFO RCC. If you want a battle go to the IFL, which you're technically entitled to use.
i've never had a particularly good experience to indicate that the SFO RCC staff are wonderful, but several to make me dislike them. And yea, I know I have next to no chance of getting into the IFL: I've tried before and it hasn't worked out, both with the TSA and with the matrons arguing that I'll miss my flight
Old May 14, 08, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cstead View Post
i've never had a particularly good experience to indicate that the SFO RCC staff are wonderful, but several to make me dislike them. And yea, I know I have next to no chance of getting into the IFL: I've tried before and it hasn't worked out, both with the TSA and with the matrons arguing that I'll miss my flight
Actually SFO's policy is to allow people with a ticket into the international terminal even if you're not flying internationally. You really shouldn't have to argue there at all, and I've never been questioned. It's the IFL where you might have a slight argument, although just print out the page from the PS website and you shouldn't. Seriously, go for it, I'd love to hear if they're still bullying people. Please?
Old May 15, 08, 1:19 am

Programs: UA Gold MM / AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins View Post
Actually SFO's policy is to allow people with a ticket into the international terminal even if you're not flying internationally. You really shouldn't have to argue there at all, and I've never been questioned. It's the IFL where you might have a slight argument, although just print out the page from the PS website and you shouldn't. Seriously, go for it, I'd love to hear if they're still bullying people. Please?
I've gotten into the IFL at SFO before while flying p.s. YMMV
Old May 15, 08, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by amartin1979 View Post
I've gotten into the IFL at SFO before while flying p.s. YMMV
I haven't. I have been routinely turned away (4 times?) in the absence of an international ticket, both at the main screening area and when trying to take the bus between domestic & international. I can confirm no drink chits at RCC.
Old May 29, 08, 9:50 am

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
Yes, no drink chits at SFO RCC. I arrived from Frankfurt in the evening on a direct flight to SFO. I got on the next flight to HNL the next morning and went to the RCC and was told no drink chits since I wasn't flying international.

Here's my questions:

1. If I had a connecting flight that day (which was impossible in this case), would I have been able to get RCC drink chits since I'm on my way home on an int'l flight? I was in business class.

2. Would I have been able to even get into the RCC? I'm not a RCC member and I was on business class the day before and domestic first class that morning.

3. Would I have been able to enter the int'l RCC at SFO based on my itinerary?
Old May 29, 08, 10:02 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by honmani2 View Post
Yes, no drink chits at SFO RCC. I arrived from Frankfurt in the evening on a direct flight to SFO. I got on the next flight to HNL the next morning and went to the RCC and was told no drink chits since I wasn't flying international.

Here's my questions:

1. If I had a connecting flight that day (which was impossible in this case), would I have been able to get RCC drink chits since I'm on my way home on an int'l flight? I was in business class.

2. Would I have been able to even get into the RCC? I'm not a RCC member and I was on business class the day before and domestic first class that morning.

3. Would I have been able to enter the int'l RCC at SFO based on my itinerary?
1. No.. drink chits are only given when you are departing, not arriving
2. Yes you can use the RCC while waiting for a connection after arriving in business class.
3. Per what Lucky said above, yes you could if you can make it past the TSA at the international terminal with your domestic ticket (some argue otherwise) but you would really have no reason to because your onward flight would be leaving from the domestic terminal so the domestic RCC would be more convenient for you.

Do they even stock drink chits at the domestic RCC at SFO? It seems there is no reason for them to... all international flights depart from the int'l terminal and I imagine those pax would be encouraged to visit the int'l RCC for their drink chits.
Old May 29, 08, 10:10 am

Programs: UA GS 1K MM, Hyatt GP Diamond, basic level in many more..
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR View Post
Do they even stock drink chits at the domestic RCC at SFO? It seems there is no reason for them to... all international flights depart from the int'l terminal and I imagine those pax would be encouraged to visit the int'l RCC for their drink chits.
I have received drink chits from the dom RCC in the past, been a couple of years, but I did receive them. They told me that I should go to the international RCC though, I responded that "I like the food court here in the domestic terminal better that what was offered on the international side". The matron shrugged and handed me two G&T chits.

Finished those, got me some Boudin's clam chower in a bread bowl, and went to the international side and got's me two more G&T chits. I was well prepped for the flight to NRT.
Old May 29, 08, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do they even stock drink chits at the domestic RCC at SFO?
I'm pretty sure they don't anymore. Just to be sure I'll ask next time I'm there (hopefully one of the nice agents is there and not my new "friend").
Old May 29, 08, 10:38 am

Programs: UA1K 3MM, AS MVP 75K Gold
1. No.. drink chits are only given when you are departing, not arriving
2. Yes you can use the RCC while waiting for a connection after arriving in business class.
3. Per what Lucky said above, yes you could if you can make it past the TSA at the international terminal with your domestic ticket (some argue otherwise) but you would really have no reason to because your onward flight would be leaving from the domestic terminal so the domestic RCC would be more convenient for you.

Thanks for the info. I rarely travel international so these drink chit questions are interesting, to say the least. I know in HNL, they don't issue drink chits. They just tell you to go to the bar and tell the bartender that you're going to NRT or PEK or wherever. Obviously, if you're going to Europe, they say you have to get the chits at the gateway city.

I also didn't know you couldn't get drink chits on the return. It's odd to me that if you're coming back from Europe, land in IAD and connect to some domestic flight that you can't get a drink chit in the IAD RCC.

As far as using the RCC since I was in business, are you saying that I just have to show them the boarding pass from the previous day and I would be allowed entry?

Oh, and I was told that they don't stock drink chits in the domestic RCC at SFO.
Old May 29, 08, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by honmani2 View Post
As far as using the RCC since I was in business, are you saying that I just have to show them the boarding pass from the previous day and I would be allowed entry?
You're actually technically not entitled to use the RCC the following day, but lots of times they'll still let you in. Just show your BP from the previous day if you want to try.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: