Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

DO Noise CXL Headphones Need To Be Stowed on Takeoff?

DO Noise CXL Headphones Need To Be Stowed on Takeoff?

Old Apr 30, 2008, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1P-Marriott Silver-Hilton Gold
Sounds like an uptight honk. I wear mine 100% of the time durring take-off and landing. Only occasionally am I even asked if they are powered off.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K-MM
Originally Posted by spotwelder
Headsets should be removed, not just switched off. They need to be off so that you can hear the evacuate command that United to not tell you what it is during their briefing. If you have noise canx headsets on, you won't hear the instructions. Indeed, any muffling will reduce your ability to get out.
It seems you haven't used NC headphones. I can hear voices better with them on than with them off. NC headphones cancel low frequencies, and get less effective as the frequency increases. Throw in the fact that the human ear is much more sensitive to the frequencies of spoken voice and crying babies, and you realize that NC headphones are next to useless for blocking spoken words. It would be safer in an emergency with my Shures in my ears (provided the cord was also in my pocket and not getting tangled in the seat).
Old Apr 30, 2008, 12:38 pm

Programs: continental, united premier, hyatt diamond, marriott silver, priority club platinum amb,hilton gold
I never did

Always try to listen to the cockpit during landings and takeoffs
Old Apr 30, 2008, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Lightman7
I can hear voices better with them on than with them off. NC headphones cancel low frequencies, and get less effective as the frequency increases.
Absolutely correct in my experience as well.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA - Plat
Originally Posted by Lightman7
I can hear voices better with them on than with them off
It's actually quite amazing, they let me eavesdrop on conversations two or three rows back -- although this can sometimes be a significant drawback.

Should this thread be in the travel tech forum?
Old Apr 30, 2008, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM RCC, DL 2MM/FC, Marriott PL
I think what we're missing here is what's being listened to. I wear ear bud NC Sony headphones, but before takeoff unplug the IPod and plug them into the seat rest to listen to Channel 9 (or 4 when the pilot doesn't turn on 9). I let the cable be conspicuously laying over the top of my arm and into the seat's armrest jack. The noise-cancelling part is a tiny box in my pocket, and I can turn that off, too - no external lights, etc.

So, in effect, it's the same as using the airline-supplied headphones, and I'm wired into the plane's PA system if there are important announcements.

Never had a problem. When they announce you can turn things on, I reach into pocket and turn on the NC feature, pull IPod out of other pocket, disconnect cable from seat and plug into IPod.

Even with the NC feature turned off, in-ear NC buds that are pretty tightly sealed in the ear (different from standard buds) dramatically cut the engine noise, etc.

All seems kosher...
Old Apr 30, 2008, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA (1K, 2MM), AA, Avis, National
Originally Posted by Ghery
Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations, Part 121.306 says the following:
(b) Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply to—

(1) Portable voice recorders;

(2) Hearing aids;

(3) Heart pacemakers;

(4) Electric shavers; or
Strange -- I would think that an electric shaver produces much more interference than a solid-state device like an iPod Nano.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 7:23 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by FreFly
Strange -- I would think that an electric shaver produces much more interference than a solid-state device like an iPod Nano.
Good to know we don't need to turn pacemakers off. Too funny, I never thought of that one. Totally agree regarding shavers! Maybe I try to shave during takeoff and cite the CFR in case I get any flack from the FA
Old Apr 30, 2008, 9:35 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
I turn mine off, but leave them around my neck. I've never been asked to put them away.
Old May 1, 2008, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
My DEN-PDX flight last night authorized PEDs at 3000 feet. I think that this was a fluke, but I put on the QC3s and slept.
Old May 2, 2008, 1:55 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by spotwelder
Then you get the headset wire snagged and jerk your neck. Imagine crawling along the floor during the fire and getting it snagged.
United offers "gate-to-gate audio" on all flights (excluding UAX).

Even operating within the rules, one could get snagged on a headphone cord-- ergo you are championing a stricter rule than the current one in place.

Last edited by Ari; May 2, 2008 at 2:04 am
Old May 2, 2008, 8:40 am

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
I can't speak to noise-cancelling headphones, however on one flight I was on a few years ago there was a no reading rule.

Will
Old May 3, 2008, 7:32 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ari
United offers "gate-to-gate audio" on all flights (excluding UAX).
OT, but I recall a UA report (during BK) in which UA claimed to be pursuing IFE for UX flights. Nothing has come of it, obviously.
Old May 3, 2008, 11:16 am

Programs: UA Gold, HHonors Diamond
A few of the FA nazi's on my usual SFO to ORD run sometimes complain that I have mine turned on.

You'd be surprised how simple it was to cut the little cord for the LED light on my jabra's ....

Watch out, between my ipod and my noise cancelling headset, it's going to bring the plane down because of all the electronic interference... idiots.
Old May 3, 2008, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
NC Headset policy on Southwest

Did you know that SW allows NC headsets at all times. It says so in the back of the SW inflight magazine.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.