UA pax duct tape drunk to his seat

Old Apr 24, 2008, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
UA pax duct tape drunk to his seat

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,352480,00.html

Classic idiot.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 3:13 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Uh oh... TSA will think duct tape is a weapon now that it has been shown that it can be used to restrain.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
TSA will think duct tape is a weapon
They'll use it themselves soon enough. We'll all board the plane, strip, get duct-taped and zip-tied to our seats and sedated for the duration of the flight.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 3:28 pm

Great, now I guess we all will have to artfully conceal our duct tape in our pants pocket so we can at least have some semblance of crude tools to travel with.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 3:31 pm

Good old Fox news, hundreds of thousands die each year from tobacco-related afflictions and they choose to cover this. Is it me? It must be me. I must be losing my mind. Right?

This isn't news folks, sorry. Now, if the witnesses and flight crew would have tied him up in an E+ seat, and then UA proceeded to charge him $112 extra for the benefit of "sitting" there......now THAT'S news!

:-)
Old Apr 24, 2008, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please tell me at least one pax took pics. Those have to be nearly as valuable as Brangelinas.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 5:59 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
I was on the flight!

Holy Cow! I was on the flight! I have a posting regarding how I wound up w/ a MX CX the day before:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=815704

When we were about 20 minutes before landing, the Captain came on the PA and said there was an "issue" and authorities were to meet us at the gate. As a result, everyone must stay in their seats until the Captain allowed us to get up (even after parking at the gate).

We literally sat there for 5 extra minutes with our belts buckled; there were at 2 fire trucks outside and a paramedic vehicle as well. Wasn't sure what was going on. They also announced they were looking for witnesses to the incident.

Dang, now I really wished I got up to walk around during the flight; I chose to just sit in my seat the whole flight... I guess I missed the show!

I noticed at least 2 or 3 additional UA staff (and I mean people in suits) hanging out by the F/C exit with United envelopes. I wonder if they were Skykits or some kind of comp.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA Plat. Ex: DL PM, AA EXP, VX Gold,
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
Holy Cow! I was on the flight! I have a posting regarding how I wound up w/ a MX CX the day before:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=815704

When we were about 20 minutes before landing, the Captain came on the PA and said there was an "issue" and authorities were to meet us at the gate. As a result, everyone must stay in their seats until the Captain allowed us to get up (even after parking at the gate).

We literally sat there for 5 extra minutes with our belts buckled; there were at 2 fire trucks outside and a paramedic vehicle as well. Wasn't sure what was going on. They also announced they were looking for witnesses to the incident.

Dang, now I really wished I got up to walk around during the flight; I chose to just sit in my seat the whole flight... I guess I missed the show!

I noticed at least 2 or 3 additional UA staff (and I mean people in suits) hanging out by the F/C exit with United envelopes. I wonder if they were Skykits or some kind of comp.
Where were you seated?
Old Apr 24, 2008, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by avsrock90
Where were you seated?
Near the end of E+... didn't see anything around that area.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
It's news, as a quick search shows (along with previous examples of this useful application of duct tape):

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...cal&id=6100956

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24301620/

Last edited by iluv2fly; Apr 25, 2008 at 4:41 pm Reason: removed deleted quote
Old Apr 24, 2008, 6:45 pm

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by MileageAddict
Uh oh... TSA will think duct tape is a weapon now that it has been shown that it can be used to restrain.
Will be subject to a 3 oz, I mean 3 linear feet, limit.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 9:30 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

Holy mother of ... what happened to me? And why was I in coach?
Old Apr 24, 2008, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA
I think the best part of Fox's blurb about this is the emphasis that the passenger drunkenly attacked. Attacks aren't news, but, by golly, attack while drunk and watch out...
Old Apr 24, 2008, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Whose duct tape was it? Do the flights regularly stock duct tape? I thought they all had those plastic ties that riot police use as restraints in lieu of handcuffs...
Old Apr 24, 2008, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by OskiBear
Whose duct tape was it? Do the flights regularly stock duct tape? I thought they all had those plastic ties that riot police use as restraints in lieu of handcuffs...
probably used to repair the seats

Perhaps its this guy: http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline...q2x00153_9.jpg

Last edited by ryan182; Apr 25, 2008 at 12:28 am Reason: add funny link

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.