Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

How strictly do airlines enforce the bag size limit? [travelling on UA]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2008, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

We have bags that measure 65". We have elite status on United. Can anyone share experiences on what the likelihood is that United will ding us for the oversize fee?

We are moving to Argentina and have three that are 65" and about five that are well under 62" so, in case it matters, our average bag size is well under 62".

I realize MMMV based on which agent I get but I'm just looking to assess my odds here . . .

Thanks in advance,

dc
Old Apr 21, 2008, 10:42 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I think it depends on how thet bags look. The difference between 62 and 65 is just one inch on each side, not sure they would normally pick that up in a normal bag.

But if it's a weird shape that makes it look really huge, or it's very heavy, they may.

Obviously, don't overstuff them.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ever see a ticket agent out there with a tape measure?

I have a 65/70" (has a zip extenison) that has an AA label. the only one that complains is my wife.

when i take it to Dallas fro DCA, I throw a case of wine in it. it weighs 52 lbs then, and i have been hung up on the 52 lbs. never on the oversize. it has never been measured.

most of my flights are iad-europe and return. usually on either ua or lh. i have watched the big bags go in, and as I said, have never seen one measured.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by slawecki
it weighs 52 lbs then, and i have been hung up on the 52 lbs.
As you mention, they weigh each bag, and the larger the bag the more you stuff in and the more likely it is overweight. On international flights it is hose the customer time.

I have a bag that just makes the 62 inch rule. What is surprising is that it is not all that big. Go to a department or luggage store and they have two or three bags in each line that are larger. I feel sorry for the once a year vacation flyers who buy these monsters and then get socked with an overweight fee. Memo to bag makers: trains and ships are almost gone. Time to retire the steamer trunks.

OP mentions many bags but not how many total pax to spread them around on. Even elite, watch out, go look at the airline's web site and the extra charges for a fourth or fifth oversize or overweight bag international will buy another ticket. For example, on NW, US to Europe, one excess bag under 70 pounds but over 80 inches is $450. Coming back it is 450 Euros!!! At some point it might be cheaper to find a friend or FT volunteer to do a MR with you just to check the bags and return. ^
Old Apr 21, 2008, 5:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
If it is close to the size/weight limit, be sure to NEVER ask if it is OK, and you should be fine. Unless you travel with KLM through AMS...
Old Apr 21, 2008, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Won't be overweight

Thanks to all for the responses. To address one of the questions, no, we are making sure to stay below the weight limit. The only issue will be size. We have seven bags across three passengers (As a 1K, I can check three and my wife and son can check two each). However, three of them are 65 inches each. The other four are well under 59 inches so the average is definitely under 62 inches but if United decides to get really ticky-tack with us, I'm worried about a huge surcharge . . .
Old Apr 21, 2008, 10:54 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
As the OP's request focuses on bag size when flying uA, I will move this thread to the UA forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Jouy31
TravelBuzz moderator.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 1:54 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Hilton Silver VIP
My guess is that they won't care--you're aware of the weight limit, which I suspect that they do enforce rather tightly as a means to make more money. As long as you're close on the dimensions, they're unlikely to pull out a tape measure.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 7:06 pm

Programs: United 1P
Originally Posted by slawecki
ever see a ticket agent out there with a tape measure?
Yes, on Jetstar (cheapie death-trap in Australia) ... they were surprisingly efficient ... zip, zip, zip ... that'll be an extra $40, Sir!
Old Apr 22, 2008, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA MM
It is easy for the TA to weigh the bag, as the scale is built in to the place where you put you bag. Linear dimensions mean more work. No, I've never seen it done. More then once I've had to repack on the spot to get one of my bags under 50 lbs. Then I learned on FT that because I have status I get to take bags that are a lot heavier, and that concern bit the dust ^^^ 'Twas very satisfying last time it happened to just say "1P" and they respond "yes sir".
Old Apr 22, 2008, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG
If it is close to the size/weight limit, be sure to NEVER ask if it is OK, and you should be fine. Unless you travel with KLM through AMS...
Or BD at AMS. They weighed my very small backpack carryon. I think I would have been dinged if I wasn't *Gold
Old Apr 22, 2008, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA MM, DL DM
As a 1K flying internationally, I wouldn't sweat it. I have had plenty of bags a little bit overweight and, except for one snippy CSR who suggested that I bring two bags the next time, never heard a peep of complaint or suggestion that they might charge me for it.

Other carriers are definitely a different matter.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 2:00 am

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
I'd expect that you will have no problem, unless the shape is really nonstandard. As long as not overweight, I think you'll probably sail through.

But just don't get upset and throw a fit in the odd event you're caught; after all you know you're out of compliance ... but at that point if someone notices, you could ask nicely if they couldn't bend the rules just a little bit for a 1K.
Old Apr 23, 2008, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, Delta Plat
My experience has been that weight is more important than size. When I travel international, I carry a medium sized duffel bag to throw anything that's overweight into.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.