Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Always wear your seatbelt!!! UA 1427 (DEN-PHX) on 4/15

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Always wear your seatbelt!!! UA 1427 (DEN-PHX) on 4/15

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2008, 4:42 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Originally Posted by AirBoy

Talk about drinks aflying!
Would that have been on the thirteenth day of Christmas, I wonder? Thirteen drinks aflying . . .
Old Apr 16, 2008, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by annerj
And it would probably help if they did a small demostration of how to actually buckle and unbuckle the dang thing.
hee, hee, hee.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Avis 1st
Originally Posted by Uniter
I always wear my seatbelt when seated ... even since the 1988 Aloha Airlines flight where the roof tore off and only one FA (who was not belted in) died because everyone had their seats belted.

http://www.airdisaster.com/cgi-bin/v...Aloha+Airlines

Good motivation there...
That is the one that makes me absolutely religious about having my seatbelt on. I've never experienced serious turbulence, at most a couple of overhead bins popping open and a couple of spilled drinks. But the prospect of the lid coming off the plane...that'll make me buckle every time!
Old Apr 16, 2008, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by AirBoy
I ALWAYS keep my seat belt fastened. I've had some bumpy flights over the Pacific in the winter, where even the flight attendents droped to the floor and hung onto the aisle armrests.

Talk about drinks aflying!
Wouldn't the FAs have been pounded into the ceiling?
Old Apr 16, 2008, 6:42 pm

Programs: BA Silver, LH SEN
Originally Posted by annerj
And it would probably help if they did a small demostration of how to actually buckle and unbuckle the dang thing.
I have also been quite cynical about that kind of thing until I had to show someone sitting next to me on a flight from Kobe to Okinawa...
Old Apr 16, 2008, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold; 1MM; Marriot Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by Trulyblues
That is the one that makes me absolutely religious about having my seatbelt on. I've never experienced serious turbulence, at most a couple of overhead bins popping open and a couple of spilled drinks. But the prospect of the lid coming off the plane...that'll make me buckle every time!
I was living in Hawaii then and saw that plane as we landed in Maui. I took a picture, amazing job the pilots did. I also recall some a Japanese passenger dying after the plane hit clear air turbulence over the Pacific. I always wear the belt, whether sleeping in C or suffering in Y.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 8:31 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by bigboy
I sat next to an FA on that flight on my way home to SFO on UA423 last night.

It was pretty ugly -- the FAs were rolling the carts down the aisle servicing passengers when the plane dropped. She said that the plane dropped ~700 feet and pitched about 70-75 degrees. The pilots were fighting to gain control of the Airbus (she said something about the Airbuses don't let the pilots retake control unless there's more than 60 or 65 degree pitch?).
I wouldn't trust technical details received from an F/A.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LarryJ
Right. Because FAs would never talk to the captain or FO when the plane landed to find out what happened.

Another endorsement for wearing your seatbelt at all times. And to always know where the emergency exits are. Might sound mundane, but I still do it after over a million miles traveled.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 10:02 pm

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by LessO2
Right. Because FAs would never talk to the captain or FO when the plane landed to find
No, Larry's right. A plane in a 75 degree bank is almost perpendicular. Dropping 700 feet is well... very rare, if not unheard of.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 10:05 pm
Liz

Programs: MP
Originally Posted by LarryJ
That's funny, just yesterday two of my pilots were talking Airbus v. Boeing. They are not Airbus fans "because the plane wants to have the control". No, I don't know what happened, but I've heard these complaints more than once.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by John26
It sounds like the turbulence you have experienced has not been severe enough to cause you to fall on another passenger.

Anything not strapped in can become a projectile. Not exactly fair to the other passenger(s) you injure...
Isn't that extremely hypothetical?

How can anything in the cabin - with the normal control forces of the plane - become a 'projectile'?

Even negative g forces do not happen in turbulence and the few famous cases were all negligent operation of the controls. So the few and sparse injuries thans to turbulence are not FAs being rammed into the ceiling but people injured by falling other people and food carts.

So sadly enough wearing that seat belt doesn't really save you from the damages of choppy air .
Old Apr 16, 2008, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by DHAST
No, Larry's right. A plane in a 75 degree bank is almost perpendicular. Dropping 700 feet is well... very rare, if not unheard of.
Indeed, there's an old chestnut of a story running around that goes like this:

"Imagine the absolute worst turbulence you're likely to experience. How far does the plane drop?"

"Ten to twenty feet."

Maybe Larry can confirm if this has a kernel of truth to it.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 8:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, DL MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Indeed, there's an old chestnut of a story running around that goes like this:

"Imagine the absolute worst turbulence you're likely to experience. How far does the plane drop?"

"Ten to twenty feet."
Oh, rubbish. I'm a private pilot and I've watched the altimeter lose 200 feet very quickly with my own eyes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.