FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   cockpit fan noise and stressed out pilot (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/813243-cockpit-fan-noise-stressed-out-pilot.html)

weero Apr 15, 2008 2:59 pm

cockpit fan noise and stressed out pilot

Today's UA 883 ORD-NRT had to return to the gate after a long taxi to its runwau position because of an undetermined humming noise coming from the cockpit instrumentation.

A fan was quickly found as the guilty element, and the repair was performed in no time. Testing however set us back for more than an hour making us leave with a more than 2 hours delay.

rest edited out due to majority vote on channel 9 handling

lucky9876coins Apr 15, 2008 3:20 pm

I'd be careful in what you say since that might be viewed by some as yet another reason for turning off Channel 9.;)

jd2000 Apr 15, 2008 3:33 pm

No longer relevant

InsideThePlane Apr 15, 2008 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins (Post 9578046)
I'd be careful in what you say since that might be viewed by some as yet another reason for turning off Channel 9.;)

Agreed. The only outcome I can see from this thread is another pilot deciding it might be easier to leave Channel 9 off... too bad.

UNHBuzzard Apr 15, 2008 4:25 pm

I agree, the pilot on my flight last week IAD-BOS on a Mesa CRJ turned it off for just that reason... oh, wait. NM.

UnitedF1RST Apr 15, 2008 4:33 pm

For the safety of channel 9, Ted asks that you not relay bad things we hear like this. RAR! :D

nzpilot Apr 15, 2008 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by weero (Post 9577917)
During the lengthy taxi, the obviously ennervated pilot had to be corrected twice and asked for clarification trice by the tower. I never experienced this so impressively as the controller's voice was exceptionally clear and understandable. And she reacted to the wrong or omitted confirmation from the pilot without delay. All very well handled by ORD.

The flight was smooth and pilot work was flawless but that ground time at the gate must have been more than just stressful to the crew.

I'm sorry you didn't mention your seat assignment, but were you in the jump seat? If not, since you could not hear or see what else was happening in the cockpit, I think your assumption about the stress levels of the crew are a bit naive. There are many other reasons for missing/misunderstanding calls. Be careful about 2nd guessing the cockpit from the back seat....

United737522 Apr 15, 2008 6:10 pm

I agree with nzpilot. For pax to make assumptions of ANYTHING going on up front is wrong. Esp based on what's heard on Ch9.

I don't know why lucky said it with a ;), but I am saying it with a straight, serious face; don't give pilots any more reason to turn it off.

777-DCA Apr 15, 2008 6:29 pm

Any chance this thread can be erased from FT forever?

hsxagent Apr 15, 2008 6:54 pm

Now why should this thread be censored/deleted?

The OP commented on what he thought/felt/etc... regardless if you feel he was wrong, or incorrect with his observations, which some have already commented on.

There is no reason to censor his comments because you think it will have an effect on your channel 9 listening enjoyment.

ncorman Apr 15, 2008 8:03 pm

Without being in the jumpseat position the OP doesn't know the whole story. The mix up could of easily been due to troubleshooting of the noise, and communicating with Dispatch and/or MX to try to resolve the issue. In most instances only the primary radio is fed into the IFE panel so the back of the aircraft is not getting the whole story.

Suggesting this thread be deleted is not going to change anything. Pilots already know how they will treat the ATC feed and in what conditions it gets turned off mid-flight. It is a good thread for the readers to understand they shouldn't jump to conclusions based on what is heard while flying.

violist Apr 15, 2008 9:56 pm

That's not what enervated means.

gumpfs Apr 15, 2008 11:58 pm

So the copilot missed a few radio calls - hopefully you know it's the flying copilot who talks to ground control. I'm at a loss to understand how that translates into the "pilot" (there are three of them on an ORD-NRT flight) being unnerved by a problem with an electrical cooling fan. There are lots of reasons for missed or misunderstood radio calls. Fortunately, I've never made any kind of mistake myself while flying, but I've heard that it happens. ;) Without knowing what else was going on in the cockpit while this was going on, I wouldn't even begin to judge the F/O or the crew.

Indurain Apr 16, 2008 3:37 am

So, in summary, ORD-NRT delayed 2 hours, cause determined to be a noisy fan in the instrument panel.

Channel 9 was available on the flight.

ORD controllers are professionals.

The flight was smooth and flawless.

Good post.

weero Apr 16, 2008 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by nzpilot (Post 9578517)
I'm sorry you didn't mention your seat assignment, but were you in the jump seat? If not, since you could not hear or see what else was happening in the cockpit, I think your assumption about the stress levels of the crew are a bit naive...

Yes they were of course.

But hey .. we were heading for a 14 hour flight, so timing was indeed crucial.