UA Delays Launch of SFO-CAN (Guangzhou)

Old May 9, 2008, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Any thoughts if UA might change thier mind and start the SFO-CAN as originally planned?

Here is what has changed:

Apparently NW has announced/introduced SEA-PEK http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=821268 . Apparently they are changing thier NRT-CAN authority to SEA-PEK, so now there is no US flagged service to CAN (right?).

So a couple of questions:

1. Did DoT ultimately grant UA's request to delay the start of the route. And if they did grant the request... could they try to start back as originally planned?

2. Would UA want to do this (start the route as originally planned)? (I don't think that NRT-CAN was a bad route for NW, I just think they feel that SEA-PEK is better).
Old May 9, 2008, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
1. Did DoT ultimately grant UA's request to delay the start of the route. And if they did grant the request... could they try to start back as originally planned?
DOT approved UA's request. UA can start anytime between now and June 2009.
Old May 9, 2008, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780

2. Would UA want to do this (start the route as originally planned)? (I don't think that NRT-CAN was a bad route for NW, I just think they feel that SEA-PEK is better).
Its interesting too because NW also dropped their CAN cargo service as well. You would think that would open up more pax and cargo opportunities for UA.
Old May 9, 2008, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Perhaps all the talks about the potential decent passenger and cargo loads in and out CAN never materialized.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 9:34 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Any updates on this route?
Old Mar 11, 2010, 10:42 pm

Programs: AA lifetime GOLD, but still an AA Baby compare to people here. CX nobody. BR Silver.
UA gives up this route?
Old Apr 30, 2010, 10:51 am

Programs: AA lifetime GOLD, but still an AA Baby compare to people here. CX nobody. BR Silver.
Okay.
UA is seeking one more year delay in SFO-CAN.
Why can't UA just give this up for someone else?
http://www.btnonline.com/businesstra...04087755&imw=Y
Old Apr 30, 2010, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by yuchung5
Okay.
It does not seem like there is any other airlines currently interested in serving new route on USA-China, as evident by how many other routes are suspended.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 11:24 am

Because no one else wants it?

NW (DL) doesn't go there anymore, and AA is having trouble launching the ORD-PEK route.

And as the article states, only CO has launched EWR-PVG.

So... who would you suggest begin the service?
Old Apr 30, 2010, 11:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Okay.
Because no other airline wants to fly to CAN either! It's really easy, UA could give up the authority and then apply for it again in a year. Trust me, the authority would still be available for them. Who would want it instead? DL- they already have a CAN frequency that has gone unused since they gave up NRT-CAN. AA can't get its act together to even fly to HKG. CO lacks the aircraft to fly the route currently. US doesn't fly to Asia.

So its kind of pointless to give UA a hard time about it. Its just that filing for a delay is simpler than giving up the authority and applying again later on.
Old Apr 30, 2010, 12:26 pm

I guess you all are right. No one wants this route. The best candidate is DL, I guess, since it is CZ's hub.
If no one wants it, including UA, why do they even bother file the extension, and extension, and maybe another extension? Maybe just give it up and apply it again until UA wants to do it and the route is available.
Old May 1, 2010, 10:02 pm

I guess you all are right. No one wants this route. The best candidate is DL, I guess, since it is CZ's hub.
If no one wants it, including UA, why do they even bother file the extension, and extension, and maybe another extension? Maybe just give it up and apply it again until UA wants to do it and the route is available.
Because it doesn't make economic sense now, doesn't mean it would not make economic sense next year.

In the last conference call UA said Asian travel is up significantly, so while recovery is not here.... it is in sight.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA/EP, PC/RA
dose anyone have any updates on this? with DL announcing more China flight from SEA, maybe its time for UA to step up

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.