Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

AFA Announces United Flight Attendants Elect Militant Leadership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2008, 3:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Continental Gold Elite, United Premier Executive

Press Release Source: Association of Flight Attendants-CWA

Friday April 4, 5:24 pm ET

CHICAGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--With an eye toward their critical upcoming contract negotiations, United Airlines flight attendant union leaders for the Association of Flight Attendants-CWA (AFA-CWA) this week elected a slate of officers with a reputation as tough and militant negotiators. The 14 AFA-CWA Local Council Presidents who form the Union’s United Master Executive Council (MEC) re-elected Greg Davidowitch as President; Linda Farrow as Vice President; and, Jeff Heisey as Secretary-Treasurer. Their bios are below:
Greg Davidowitch, MEC President – Mr. Davidowitch, a hard-working AFA-CWA activist from New York, is embarking on his third full term as MEC President with the unanimous support of his peers. Davidowitch served as the United Flight Attendants’ representative on the Creditors Committee during the bankruptcy, and led the Union’s fight against the concessions management sought from Flight Attendants and retirees during negotiations under Section 1113 and 1114 of the Bankruptcy Code. Under his leadership AFA-CWA was consistently opposed management bonuses, executive compensation packages and other management excesses in bankruptcy. At the same time he led the Union in its fight against termination of the Flight Attendants’ pension. Under his leadership the Union held out to become the last among United’s unions to settle, seeking improved terms and ultimately achieving a replacement retirement plan valued at twice what management had offered after terminating their pension plan through the bankruptcy court.

Linda Farrow, MEC Vice-President – Ms. Farrow, a long-time Union leader from Los Angeles, has extensive experience in negotiations and led her Los Angeles local during the 1985 strike by United pilots, when the United Flight Attendants struck for 29 days in support of the pilots’ contract dispute. Ms. Farrow was also MEC President at the time of the announced merger between United and US Airways, leading the Union in threatening a CHAOS™ strike by United Flight Attendants if United management carried out plans to unilaterally change their collective bargaining agreement in order to effectuate the merger. That merger was soon called off due, in large part, to opposition from the Flight Attendants and other employees.

Jeff Heisey, MEC Secretary-Treasurer – Mr. Heisey, a Flight Attendant scheduling expert and union activist previously served as CHAOS Strike Co-Coordinator when the United Flight Attendants launched a strike threat in response to unilateral changes to their contract in bankruptcy. Mr. Heisey was instrumental in building a global network of Union members prepared to strike.

More than 55,000 Flight Attendants, including the 17,000 Flight Attendants at United, join together to form AFA, the world’s largest Flight Attendant union. AFA is part of the 700,000 member strong Communications Workers of America, AFL-CIO. Visit us at www.unitedafa.org.

Association of Flight Attendants-CWA
Sara Nelson
847-292-7170 ext. 524

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: Association of Flight Attendants-CWA
Old Apr 4, 2008, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MILITANT? Yikes.

The first thought that popped into my head when I read the title of the press release was that it sounds like something straight out of The Onion.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Exactly how does one launch a strike threat?
Old Apr 4, 2008, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA*G, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Send out some press releases, do some informational picketing, blah, blah, blah.

Looks like the AFA is about to dust off it's old playbook. I wish they would get a clue and try a new approach. Look where the old one has got them...

Gonna be a tough summer for us customers, I fear...
Old Apr 4, 2008, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA EXP, WN A-List, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Get as "militant" as you want, guys!

Oil is STILL $100 a barrel, the economy is in the dumper, and 2 airlines went out of business last week.

Good luck with your plans.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 4:01 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
I've never been pro-union and am not about to change.

However, to the extent the AFA has elected militant and combative leaders, UA management has only themselves to blame. I can't recall one substantive or even superficial bone thrown to the front line employees while at the same time, management has gorged themselves at the trough.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Platium, SPG
Originally Posted by auggie doggie
Get as "militant" as you want, guys!

Oil is STILL $100 a barrel, the economy is in the dumper, and 2 airlines went out of business last week.
...and Tilton still makes $108,000/day and gives out dividends like crazy.

Maybe some of that should go to the employees.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by work2fly
However, to the extent the AFA has elected militant and combative leaders, UA management has only themselves to blame. I can't recall one substantive or even superficial bone thrown to the front line employees while at the same time, management has gorged themselves at the trough.
Correct. I had a flight attendant cry on my shoulder last year about getting a whopping $0.68 "bonus" after being with UA for over 10 years. I don't know how the bonus system works, but 68 cents is just an insult. Why even bother?

It is like getting a bad waiter/ess at a restaurant. If you leave no tip you just look cheap, but if you leave a 1 cent tip, it is an insult to the server.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Whenever I see the word militant I am reminded of the old lady in the Austin Power's movie from "The militant wing of the Salvation Army." LOL
Old Apr 4, 2008, 4:18 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
They trademarked C.H.A.O.S. and are not shy about using it.

I am behind the FAs on this one. Good luck to them.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 6:09 pm
DWP

Programs: UA 1K (thanks to UCBeau and Lucky), RCC, Fallen Hyatt Diamond
Don't forget about the pilots too. Their contract comes up next year as well.
All of these people have been screwed royally, so as someone said, "payback is a b...."
Old Apr 4, 2008, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by HeathrowGuy
.......Under his leadership AFA-CWA was consistently opposed management bonuses, executive compensation packages and other management excesses in bankruptcy. At the same time he led the Union in its fight against termination of the Flight Attendants’ pension. Under his leadership the Union held out to become the last among United’s unions to settle, seeking improved terms and ultimately achieving a replacement retirement plan valued at twice what management had offered after terminating their pension plan through the bankruptcy court.......
I would hardly call Davidowich "militant"

"Under his leadership".......blah,blah,blah.

Everything he fought in the above clip, he lost on. How is this some major accomplishment. We need people who fight and WIN! And as the 'replacement' retirement plan being 'twice' the value?......it was still a REPLACEMENT!

Let's get some real militants who LISTENS to what the MEMBERSHIP WANTS AND NEEDS.....and isn't afraid to BE militant!

Davidowich's militant nature goes far on paper.....but no accomplishment that I have seen. He's been an AFA-lifer far too long.....
Old Apr 4, 2008, 6:20 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by HaeMaker
...and Tilton still makes $108,000/day and gives out dividends like crazy.

Maybe some of that should go to the employees.

No, he doesn't.
That was based on last years options awarded (which were at a high due to chap 11 exit) and last years stock price, which was double. His salary is nowhere near that number. That number was based on current day value of UA stock options granted last year.

As for "militant AFA"... So what? Have you ever seen a union (or anyone for that matter) prior to new contract negotiations state "In the spirit of unity and to lessen our leverage at the bargaining table, we are electing a passive union leadership so if the company wants to lowball us at the table, we won't know any better"? That's like getting college cheerleaders that don't cheap "Go, Fight, Win!" but instead say "Try team, try."
Old Apr 4, 2008, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I read that headline, the voice of the teacher in the Charlie Brown cartoon popped into my head.

(In other words, "blah blah blah blah blah blah.")
Old Apr 4, 2008, 6:33 pm

Location: Now:AUS (again); Previous: LGA/EWR (BLKYN, missing JFK), AUS, SAT
Programs: Current: UA-Silver, Former AA Plat, DL Silver
Originally Posted by work2fly
I've never been pro-union and am not about to change.

Amen. It's not just going to be at United this summer either, American's contracts are up this summer also. I don't blame the employees for being pissed. They see that they have taken massive pay and benefit cuts; while executives have the boards they sit on grant them massive bonuses.

Good luck to everyone this summer, I think we are going to need it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.