Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Are 1Ks the Worst Gate Lice? [Merged Threads]

Are 1Ks the Worst Gate Lice? [Merged Threads]

Old Mar 27, 2008, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA GS 1K MM, Hyatt GP Diamond, basic level in many more..
Originally Posted by 1P
It's nothing to do with being upper class or having your ego stroked. It has nothing to do with gate lice, just practicalities.

I always travel in 1B domestically, so that I don't have anyone reclining into my face, have adequate footroom, and an aisle seat. However, row 1 on A319/A320/B737/B757 has (a) no under-the-seat-in-front-of-you storage space and (b) no overhead storage space, so I always try to be first on in order to stow my carry-on overhead either above 1CD or 2AB.

If UA wouldn't reserve the overhead storage space above 1AB for oxygen and other equipment, I'd be very happy to stand back. But they won't. So I won't.
Interesting, this is the exact same tactic that I use. Same seat also... Now I know who is taking my seat when I can't get it
Old Mar 27, 2008, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by pdx42
Gate Lice: bluetooth, gold boarding pass, belly-over-belt, over-stuffed Tumi briefcase, Dell laptop, Bose headphones, bored expression, smug 'the-rules-you-follow-don't-apply-to-me' attitude along with a general indifference towards other passengers and staff.
Got 3 of those. So all I need is to gain some weight, look bored, and cop an attitude and I'll be a 1K.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 7:20 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Originally Posted by BongoVIP
For me, it depends on several factors for lining up on the Red Carpet.
For me, one factor - a carryon plus personal item or just a carryon.

In the former case, I board reasonably early (unless I'm in the super
luxurious RCC and forget) so I have room for the carryon;

in the latter, as late as possible.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler, Hyatt Platinum, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, Motel 6 Tin
My Take

None of the legacies - especially UA - has resolved the schizophrenic "tastes great, less filling" dichotomy of their business models.

On one hand, they need to fill seats, so they aggressively price to appeal to the "leisure" traveler. On the other hand, they lust after the higher-yield business traveler and other less-price-sensitive travelers by offering perks and bonuses.

In my view, the price sensitive traveler has little to complain about - air travel is relatively cheap, and clearly more affordable than a generation ago. The class envy that may accompany the deferential treatment given to higher yield/more frequent (status holding) travelers gets no sympathy from me.

Many things in life - in fact, I would say most things in life - are relationship-based. The stronger, the deeper, the longer the relationship, the more we expect to be treated better by the other party. And why not? If I demonstrate sustained loyalty via my patronage - whether it be to a plumber, a car dealer, an employer, whatever - I believe I have a reasonable expectation that that loyalty will be acknowledged in some way.

Anyone in business will tell you that, in virtually all cases, it is far less expensive to retain an existing customer (via some tangible acknowledgment of their loyalty) than to replace that customer with a new customer.

The red rug is a visible reminder of this reality.

As for me, I certainly don't crowd the red rug, but I do make sure I'm close when boarding commences. I'm one of those Row 1 types. Not only have I found oxygen tanks and safety equipment in the overheads by Row 1, I have often found crew carry-ons in those bins as well. Having to store my gear several rows back is both inconvenient (going against the flow on arrival), but also less secure - especially since I never check anything of value.

On a recent flight DEN-IAD, I had stored my stuff and comfortably settled in Row 1. Shortly before the doors closed, a gentleman (who turned out to be my seatmate) boarded with two large bags. He saw no space in the bins near Row 1, so he proceeded to remove my rollerboard and laptop case, and was about to carry them to a bin several rows aft when I politely inquired what he was doing. He looked at me sheepishly and said, "Oh, this is your stuff? Sorry." He ended up placing his stuff in the aft bin (with the assistance of a now justifiably annoyed FA). Needless to say, my seatmate and I didn't converse much during the flight.
Old Mar 27, 2008, 9:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by 1P
I always travel in 1B domestically, so that I don't have anyone reclining into my face, have adequate footroom, and an aisle seat.
Get out of here! What do you do if that seat is taken when booking??
Old Mar 27, 2008, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by bhmlurker
Why stand when one can sit comfortably, with a laptop to browse the web and listen to music?
I love love love the Red Carpet. I get to the gate early, stand on the non-RC line and read my book. I don't have to listen for Group 1 announcements, I don't have to keep looking up to keep an eye on what's going on. I just wait until the GA opens my side of the line and I board.

And to answer your question... what's the difference if I sit in a chair or on the floor? It's all the same...
Old Mar 27, 2008, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K*MM, AA PP
For me, it's not about the carpet, and it's not about the carry-on (I usually manage to find room for my stuff), and usually it's not about not waiting in the too hot or too cold jetway.

When I'm not UG on transcons I always try to get on first to get a blanket and a pillow. In F there's one of each for each seat, but in Y it's usually one per row if we're lucky.

I'd bring my own and board late, but then I wouldn't be able to travel with a little bag!
Old Mar 28, 2008, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, HH-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hertz 5*
The only time I line up on the carpet early is when I'm on a small plane in F, especially row 1. If I'm on 757 or above, I'll line up about 5 min before boarding, especially if I checked bags...which is rare.

As others have mentioned, it can be a real hassle if you board late and the overhead space is gone.

Last edited by JLaw725; Mar 28, 2008 at 10:48 am Reason: spelling
Old Mar 28, 2008, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW I usually board about 15 minutes into the boarding process, usually with a 22", and have NEVER had a problem, and that's everywhere from a 747 to a 737. Usually I find an open spot in F, and if I don't I start rearranging bags and it ends up fine. The only reason for me to go to the gate early is to watch the people ont he red carpet, some quality entertainment.

Seriously though folks, especially if you're flying F, there is NO EXCUSE whatsoever for their not being overheard bin space in the F cabin, regardless of what aircraft, IMO.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 11:13 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by kokonutz
The proper term for what you describe is 'status monkey.'
May I modestly suggest Red-Carpet-Baggers or simply Carpet Baggers?

The only reason we don't board at the very last minute is the carry-on issue, although it does stroke the ego to watch the GA block that old woman with a cane while opening the Red Carpet line with a flourish just for us.

The other night we were flying DEN-SEA on a 737 in F bulkhead after a LH flight from FRA so we boarded asap and fit our items into the small bin at the front. Everybody in F managed to squeeze in their bags after some rearranging with the help of the FA but it was tight.

We'd had to check our rollaboards simply because we'd added a few items including a couple of bottles of wine after a month on the road. We waited at the SEA carousel for one hour due to the "bad weather and shortage of one employee," according to the apologetic voice on the P.A., a grim reminder of why we try to travel exclusively with carry-on.

Cheers,
Fredd

Last edited by Fredd; Mar 28, 2008 at 11:13 am Reason: speling
Old Mar 28, 2008, 11:28 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, National Exec
personally i board through the read carpet and wait in line so i can get on board and sleep sooner! also, as many others do i want to make sure i can get overhead bin space.

on a side note, does anyone else have problems getting standard 22 inch bags to fit in A319's? i saw two guys struggling to get a bin closed on monday that they actually pulled the bin door right off!!! it was hilarious... and luckily for them it didn't delay us that much. i felt bad for all the people sitting next to them though cause everyone had to check their bags in both the bin that the broke and the one adjacent.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Seriously though folks, especially if you're flying F, there is NO EXCUSE whatsoever for their not being overheard bin space in the F cabin, regardless of what aircraft, IMO.
Lucky, I can see why your name is Lucky (or you must be livin right), because on my B-737's 80% of the time there is not enough room in F/C and the FA's either have to use the small closet (on the old Shuttle config planes) or bin space in the first several rows of economy, or both.

But yeah, at 15 minutes, YOU generally will be okay, but the other Poor or stupid shlep showing up during the boarding process...usually not...80% of the time...
Old Mar 28, 2008, 12:28 pm

Programs: United 0, HH Gold
Now that I think about it, Red-Carpet-Baggers (RCBs) who actually line up 15 minutes prior to boarding DO look pretty ridiculous. Even though your reasoning may be overhead space, to the rest of the masses, it has to look as if you're just trying to show off your status.

So I say, to the RCBs!
Old Mar 28, 2008, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K since 1998 & 3 Million Miler & ex-GS; DL Diamond 2015-2022; BAEC Silver; Bonvoy LT Titanium
Originally Posted by tangfj
does anyone else have problems getting standard 22 inch bags to fit in A319's?
YES! A319 and A320 overhead bins cannot fit normal 22 inch rollaboards when placed wheels-in into the bin. The rollaboards have to go sideways. So, yes, this is another reason to get onto the red carpet early.
Old Mar 28, 2008, 12:44 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Line Moles

My biggest pet peeve isn't so much gate lice or carpet campers, but Line Moles.

These are the folks who insist on furrowing their way through the folks who are already standing in line (organized or otherwise). When I line up I tend to leave a little room between myself and others who are in line around me. I usually want to get on the plane for overhead space concerns, but I'm not overly concerned about it. However, I HATE it when I am quite obviously in line, and a line mole pushes through and cuts in front of me or someone else.

IME, this seems to happen the worst at SNA during red carpet boarding. It always seems as if half the plane are GS/1K/F on the ORD flights, and there's always a mole or two ready to dig their way through the masses.

Craig

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.