Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Why does United keep changing my pre-assigned seats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2008, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, BA Silver

Can anyone help me understand why United keeps automatically changing my pre-assigned seats. On a recent trip back from LHR my seat was changed from 17C on the day of travel, yesterday my upgrade to NRT cleared so I grabbed 15H, this morning it was changed to row 6. Am I doing something wrong, or is it just the lovely United web site, its only started to happen this year.

Last edited by railwaystand; Mar 14, 2008 at 8:55 am
Old Mar 14, 2008, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by railwaystand
My upgrade to NRT cleared so I grabbed 15H, this morning it was changed to row 6. Am I doing something wrong, or is it just the lovely United web site, its only started to happen this year.
Is there, or was there, ANY KIND of schedule change on your NRT flight? In many cases, and not only this year - when there is a schedule change seat assignments have been changed for me from UD to Row 6 or 7 on 744.

There is a long-standing thread here on the UA board entitled:"Check your itineraries".....
The reason is b/c changes like this, when caught early enough can be rectified.
Best, Dave
Old Mar 14, 2008, 9:28 am
Original Poster

No, no changes at all, thats what is puzzling me.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
No, no changes at all, thats what is puzzling me.
OK. Just another .bomb error, I imagine.
Good luck!
Dave
Old Mar 14, 2008, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 2MM
I found the same thing happening with me a while back. It was not UA, but rather my travel agency. Most travel agencies have a program that crawls through all their customer's records once a day and looks to see if seats are available that better fit the type of seat you request in your profile. For example, I had aisle seat in my profile. However, on a 747, my favorite seat is a window: 15A, which is the best seat on the plane. Every night, the system would switch me to 6B, an aisle, but one of the very worst seats on the plane. It look me a while to finally figure out what was happening.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 10:31 am

Programs: UA PLAT. DL PLAT, AOPA, MUG CLUB AT ROCK BOTTOM
Twice last week. Moved me from 2B to 1C. Bulkheads just don't work on 73's witha lot of carryon. And no; no FAM.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 10:36 am

Programs: UA 1P
Same thing that Blueman states happened to me. My travel profile at the agency we work through has a preference for bulkhead, so when I selected 15A, the next day it would be the bulkhead seat downstairs. Had to remove the preference to fix the issue. -chris
Old Mar 14, 2008, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blueman2
I found the same thing happening with me a while back. It was not UA, but rather my travel agency. Most travel agencies have a program that crawls through all their customer's records once a day and looks to see if seats are available that better fit the type of seat you request in your profile. For example, I had aisle seat in my profile. However, on a 747, my favorite seat is a window: 15A, which is the best seat on the plane. Every night, the system would switch me to 6B, an aisle, but one of the very worst seats on the plane. It look me a while to finally figure out what was happening.
Just contacted my travel agent and it seems this is it exactly, they have to put a stop on a particular search if you self-nominate your seat and dont want it changed - many thanks!
Old Mar 14, 2008, 11:05 am

Programs: UA PLAT. DL PLAT, AOPA, MUG CLUB AT ROCK BOTTOM
I book on .bomb, not a travel agency. Happens to me. ????
Old Mar 14, 2008, 11:32 am

This just happend to me on SFO-Beijing. I had 15G and now no seat assignment. All booked through united
Old Mar 14, 2008, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Ahh, I guess I better keep checking then..
Old Mar 14, 2008, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by hawkxp
Twice last week. Moved me from 2B to 1C. Bulkheads just don't work on 73's witha lot of carryon. And no; no FAM.
This move can be a FAM.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Can anyone help me understand why United keeps automatically changing my pre-assigned seats. On a recent trip back from LHR my seat was changed from 17C on the day of travel, yesterday my upgrade to NRT cleared so I grabbed 15H, this morning it was changed to row 6. Am I doing something wrong, or is it just the lovely United web site, its only started to happen this year.
This is why I never book row 15 on 747s any more. I've been bumped at the last minute couple of times and ended up with the dregs downstairs. I'm just sticking with 17A from now on.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 5:26 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Tom Beyersdorf
Originally Posted by hawkxp
This move can be a FAM.
i agree and especially with less than a week before travel date. also, there have been lots of changes to the fam program with one being pre-boarding (some do & some don't with many preferring the latter and will board with us geese)

for the day of travel on an tatl, i would strongly venture that it was a fam swap.
Old Mar 14, 2008, 7:29 pm

Programs: *Gold / HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by goalie
for the day of travel on an tatl, i would strongly venture that it was a fam swap.
Don't understand why FAMs get the choice seats?? Is it a federal requirement?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.