Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

What happens when .bomb eats an NF/NC seat?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What happens when .bomb eats an NF/NC seat?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2008, 8:42 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Question What happens when .bomb eats an NF/NC seat?

I suspect that this problem occurs often enough that other FTers might be able to shed some light on it.

A few days ago, I bought a ticket BOS-SFO-TPE-SFO-BOS. I checked on .bomb and saw NC2 on the SFO-TPE as well as NC1 on the TPE-SFO. To make sure that these numbers were correct (not the "phantom NC" issue on .bomb), I called the 1K desk and the agent confirmed NC2 and NC1, respectively.

So I issued the ticket, re-checked to verify the NC seats were still there, and then I requested the SWU upgrade for TPE-SFO-BOS on .bomb. The screen said "one or more of your upgrades could not be confirmed," which I had expected, because SFO-BOS was NF0. However, the TPE-SFO segment was supposed to have confirmed. Looking further, I saw:
(1) that the NC1 seat had been pulled from inventory; now NC0.
(2) my SWU was reserved for TPE-SFO-BOS
(3) but my itinerary did not reflect any upgrade request--not even a waitlisted one!

I called the 1K desk, and the agent managed to release and re-apply the SWU, but was only able to waitlist me for NC because the NC1 seat was gone.

On the outbound SFO-TPE, NC2 was still showing. So, a CC sponsor went to .bomb and requested the upgrade; he got error messages "system unavailable." He kept trying, and eventually he got a msg saying the upgrade was waitlisted. But again, the upgrade was eaten by .bomb!
(1) his SWU was reserved
(2) the NC2 turned into NC0
(3) my itinerary did not reflect any upgrade request--not even a waitlist

He called the 1K desk, and another agent managed to get me waitlisted manually. However, she also saw NC0 now.

So I waited two days...and today, according to .bomb, the NC2 is back on the outbound, and the NC1 is back on the return (thus indicating that there was a bug, and the seats were not coincidentally grabbed by someone else while I was requesting the upgrade). However, my upgrades are still waitlisted, and the 1K desk does not see the NC2 and NC1; they see NC0. (But recall that before my upgrade request, the human agents did in fact see NC2 and NC1; so the .bomb inventory was originally correct.)

Does anyone know what will happen next, and when/if IM will actually make .bomb "burp" up the NC2/NC1 that it ate but didn't assign to anyone?

This same sort of thing happened to me in July, and that time, I vaguely recall that a few days later, the inventory actually returned to IM and my upgrades suddenly confirmed. However, I don't remember how many days it took, or whether the 1K desk had to do anything special to make it happen. Can anyone shed some light on this issue?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.