Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA's automated refund line hangs up on you after 25 minutes

Old Mar 12, 08, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

How do I know? Because it hung up on me three times today, always at the 25 minute mark. When trying to make call #4, I'm now told the office is closed.

UA owes me four vouchers totaling close to $1200, going back to November 2007. This will be the 3rd time I've asked to have them re-sent, assuming UA ever allows me to speak with a real human.
Old Mar 12, 08, 3:44 pm

Programs: UA 2P
Try emailing the refunds department instead. It took me 6 months to get a $31 voucher, and still waiting on another $100 one, but at least I didn't spend hours on the phone.
Old Mar 12, 08, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by philthered View Post
Try emailing the refunds department instead. It took me 6 months to get a $31 voucher, and still waiting on another $100 one, but at least I didn't spend hours on the phone.
Do you have an e-mail address for them? United customer service just told me to send a request to [email protected], but I'm not hopeful I'll get a response given my past experience with 1Kvoice
Old Mar 12, 08, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drjhwang View Post
Do you have an e-mail address for them? United customer service just told me to send a request to [email protected], but I'm not hopeful I'll get a response given my past experience with 1Kvoice
There's this form:
http://www.united.com/page/specialpa...2,2077,00.html

Looking at the code, it sends an e-mail to [email protected]
Old Mar 12, 08, 4:05 pm
Moderator: United MileagePlus

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past. (IAH, DEN, YKF)
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Sorry to hear of your problems, drjhwang.

At this point you may also want to file a complaint with the DOT.

You can use this link or the one in my signature (they're the same) to do so.

Hope that helps.
Old Mar 12, 08, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I'll try to pursue this aggressively so that folks will know the most expedient path in the future. Based on this and other recent threads, I know I'm not alone in having to wait many months for refunds and vouchers to be sent and re-sent.
Old Mar 12, 08, 4:30 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select, VIA Preference Preferred, AA LT Gold
Automated refund line, automated flight information, EZ check-in, baggage service kiosks---is United trying to become the first airline that you can fly with no human contact?
Old Mar 12, 08, 4:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
I never use the automated line. Just pretend you have a rotary phone and you'll get a person (eventually). At least I always have...
Old Mar 12, 08, 4:45 pm

I pretended I had a rotary phone on Tuesday (3/11) and it took me 32 minutes to get through to a person, but I did get one eventually. (My phone has a timer.) I posted my irk in the thread about getting refund vouchers.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...694648&page=24
Old Mar 12, 08, 4:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
I never use the automated line. Just pretend you have a rotary phone and you'll get a person (eventually). At least I always have...
Yes, that's what I did. You get 25 minutes for someone on the other end to pick up, or else <click>.
Old Mar 12, 08, 4:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by drjhwang View Post
You get 25 minutes for someone on the other end to pick up, or else <click>.
You mean you get 25 minutes - I apparently get significantly longer. I've definitely waited for longer than 25 minutes for a person. I wonder if it's your PBX that's causing the hang-up.

Last edited by mahasamatman; Mar 12, 08 at 9:25 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 12, 08, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
You mean you get 25 minutes - I apparently get significantly longer. I've defintely waited for longer than 25 minutes for a person. I wonder if it's your PBX that's causing the hang-up.
That's certainly possible -- and I should have concurrently dialed over Skype and with my cell phone too. But isn't it outlandish that we're arguing whether I should have found a way to give them more than 25 minutes to pick up the phone? (However, since that's the topic of my thread -- I'll concede the point until I find out whether or not it's my PBX to blame. I have spent >25 minutes on hold with other calls however, without getting disconnected automatically.)
Old Mar 12, 08, 5:52 pm

Programs: Plenty
exactely the same experience. 25 minutes into the call the connection terminates. united owes me a similar amount for 10+ weeks now. very frustrating.
Old Mar 12, 08, 8:54 pm

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold
I posted about a refund issue about a month ago....and was very dissatisfied with the process.

Since you have already invested 25x4 = 100 minutes why don't you contact UA Corporate and see what they have to say. They need to be made aware of this.

I can understand long holds during irregular ops...but not something like this
Old Mar 12, 08, 10:39 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Programs: AS MVP Gold, AA Plat, HH Dia, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Gold, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
I am 0 for 4 in getting the refare vouchers I've requested so far this year. 1 requested over the phone, and 3 online.

I am really starting to think that this is intentional and that they are hoping people will forget about it. I'm serious. The refunds line is by FAR the most difficult phone number to get through to a live human being.

What a joke

Search this Thread
Search Engine: