Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Lately, I've Felt that Being a 1K is Indeed Special!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2008, 1:26 pm
Used to be MBS PremExec
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat

I've had a horrible first quarter of travel...Too many delays, cancellations, reroutes and overnights to mention. But how I've been handled recently by seemingly everyone in the United chain reinforces why I continue to be loyal.

Here are a few random 'good things' I've had recently:

DTW-DEN. Rerouted from MBS-ORD-DEN to a DTW-DEN direct after United decided to cancel every flight from MBS on a clear day. 1K phone agent instantly confirmed the wife and I in F, despite there not being any NF seats on the flight. Needless to say, we couldn't get seats next to each other on the 737. But I mentioned to the lovely DTW gate agent about our situation...She punched feverously at her keyboard and said 'hang on a second'. She paged "Mrs. X, please step to the podium..." Mrs. X came up and she said, "This gentleman and his wife aren't seated next to each other, would you mind switching from seat A to seat D so they can sit together?" The lady graciously obliged...It was an apple-for-apple switch, but most often I hear, "Figure it out on the plane!". ^

On that flight, meal choice time. By missing our ORD-DEN flight, my wife missed her special meal (food allergies). Agent asked me for my choice, I said "Whatever choice will allow my wife to have the salmon". (One of the meals she couldn't possibly eat, or she'd be sick for a week, salmon was a safe alternative). Then she asked me for my choice--I told her it honestly didn't matter--I said I'd like the pasta, but no big deal. When I got up to go to the bathroom shortly thereafter, she said, "The man in 1A really wants the pasta, but it would be the last one, you're a 1K, all you have to do is say that you want it and I'll give him the salmon". I said it really didn't matter to me, she prodded again, "You trump him, you're entitled to whatever you want!" I said, "Let's keep everyone happy--the salmon will suffice". I thought the whole experience was nice. ^

Last week, LAS-LAX in exit row on Ted, before boarding I asked, as I often do, "Is anyone sitting in the middle seat?" (I really appreciate the empty middle when possible). The gate agent said, "It's open now, we've only got a few standbys to clear and I'll make sure it stays open. Well, it didn't remain unassigned. HOWEVER, after discussing with the lady next to me (a UA employee who I had a wonderful chat with all the way) said, "I'm so sorry to take your middle seat, the agent gave me this seat despite the other agent yelling to her, 'Don't assign 11E to anyone!', I think the other agent took it the wrong way". Despite not getting what I want, the true intent was there on the part of the agent I spoke to. ^

With an 2-for-13 on-time (within 2 hours of scheduled time) arrivals for 2008 with many reasons beyond weather, I wrote a snail-mail letter to UACS, copied to two VPs. Last week, I received a personal phone call from a CS manager. We had a 45-minute discussion about the points in my letter. I've written probably 4 letters in 15 years with problems and this was my second since being a 1K (5 years now). This was the first time I received a phone call about a letter I wrote. The guy was genuinely concerned and frequently said how he sees how much I fly and how happy he was that I was a 1K and flew so much. It was really nice. He called me when I was traveling...I got home and called him back 2 days later, the second I said my name it clicked with him who I was, so he obviously doesn't call a lot of people. It was a great experience. ^

Finally, I really like being 'protected' on flights when IRROPS are occuring...I just like knowing I've got a confirmed seat on the next flight, and can go straight to the RCC to make any changes and not have to worry about what the GA will do if the flight cancels. A few times I've asked and have been instantly protected...I've very quiet about it, I flash my BP to the agent, let them see that I'm a 1K and say, "Can you protect me on the next flight in case this one cancels?" Every time, it's worked, usually with a smile. Twice I've seen others try to do it (non-status people) and they get rejected. ^

I'm 11-for-11 in upgrades in 2008. ^

The ladies in the F RCC are now knowing me by name. ^

A renovated F RCC is coming this spring! ^
Old Mar 10, 2008, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great sutff, happy to hear about the great experiences, despite the awful on-time record!^ So far so good for my experiences on UA so far this year (other than no Channel 9), let's hope it stays that way.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 1:33 pm
ssh

Programs: UA 1K (MM), MR Plat Prem, Hertz Pres
Interesting contrast to my experience. Although I have no complaints, so far I've seen no real difference from my 1P last year to 1K this year. Mostly short flights so far (DEN-ORD, DEN-PIA), and I'll have some longer trips later this year, but the much-vaunted improvement hasn't shown up for me, yet.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
You're obviously lucky enough to not be flying Mesa ... while I really appreciate what the treatment as a 1K on mainline, my recent experiences with UAX and UA's turning their back to even try to fix their own operation is really eating away at my allegiance to this organization.

Hope your 2008 travels continue to be handled so well.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 3:52 pm

Location: LAX-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain. United 1K! Other
Programs: RCC,HHonors Diamond,HGVC Elite,SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond,Nat'l Emerald Exec Elite, Disney Premier Pass
Originally Posted by MBS PremExec
I've had a horrible first quarter of travel...Too many delays, cancellations, reroutes and overnights to mention. But how I've been handled recently by seemingly everyone in the United chain reinforces why I continue to be loyal.
Thanks for the post; it gives me renewed motivation to reach my goal of 1K this year!

Last edited by JonathanIT; Mar 10, 2008 at 4:48 pm
Old Mar 10, 2008, 4:03 pm

At least someone is getting good service as a 1k...

But I'm certainly not getting good service. Been stranded twice by UA because of irregular ops, the last one kept me in Boston for 48 hours.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 5:05 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Originally Posted by MBS PremExec

Here are a few random 'good things' I've had recently:

DTW-DEN. Rerouted from MBS-ORD-DEN to a DTW-DEN direct after United decided to cancel every flight from MBS on a clear day. 1K phone agent instantly confirmed the wife and I in F, despite there not being any NF seats on the flight. Needless to say, we couldn't get seats next to each other on the 737. But I mentioned to the lovely DTW gate agent about our situation...She punched feverously at her keyboard and said 'hang on a second'. She paged "Mrs. X, please step to the podium..." Mrs. X came up and she said, "This gentleman and his wife aren't seated next to each other, would you mind switching from seat A to seat D so they can sit together?" The lady graciously obliged...It was an apple-for-apple switch, but most often I hear, "Figure it out on the plane!". ^

On that flight, meal choice time. By missing our ORD-DEN flight, my wife missed her special meal (food allergies). Agent asked me for my choice, I said "Whatever choice will allow my wife to have the salmon". (One of the meals she couldn't possibly eat, or she'd be sick for a week, salmon was a safe alternative). Then she asked me for my choice--I told her it honestly didn't matter--I said I'd like the pasta, but no big deal. When I got up to go to the bathroom shortly thereafter, she said, "The man in 1A really wants the pasta, but it would be the last one, you're a 1K, all you have to do is say that you want it and I'll give him the salmon". I said it really didn't matter to me, she prodded again, "You trump him, you're entitled to whatever you want!" I said, "Let's keep everyone happy--the salmon will suffice". I thought the whole experience was nice. ^

Last week, LAS-LAX in exit row on Ted, before boarding I asked, as I often do, "Is anyone sitting in the middle seat?" (I really appreciate the empty middle when possible). The gate agent said, "It's open now, we've only got a few standbys to clear and I'll make sure it stays open. Well, it didn't remain unassigned. HOWEVER, after discussing with the lady next to me (a UA employee who I had a wonderful chat with all the way) said, "I'm so sorry to take your middle seat, the agent gave me this seat despite the other agent yelling to her, 'Don't assign 11E to anyone!', I think the other agent took it the wrong way". Despite not getting what I want, the true intent was there on the part of the agent I spoke to. ^

With an 2-for-13 on-time (within 2 hours of scheduled time) arrivals for 2008 with many reasons beyond weather, I wrote a snail-mail letter to UACS, copied to two VPs. Last week, I received a personal phone call from a CS manager. We had a 45-minute discussion about the points in my letter. I've written probably 4 letters in 15 years with problems and this was my second since being a 1K (5 years now). This was the first time I received a phone call about a letter I wrote. The guy was genuinely concerned and frequently said how he sees how much I fly and how happy he was that I was a 1K and flew so much. It was really nice. He called me when I was traveling...I got home and called him back 2 days later, the second I said my name it clicked with him who I was, so he obviously doesn't call a lot of people. It was a great experience. ^

Finally, I really like being 'protected' on flights when IRROPS are occuring...I just like knowing I've got a confirmed seat on the next flight, and can go straight to the RCC to make any changes and not have to worry about what the GA will do if the flight cancels. A few times I've asked and have been instantly protected...I've very quiet about it, I flash my BP to the agent, let them see that I'm a 1K and say, "Can you protect me on the next flight in case this one cancels?" Every time, it's worked, usually with a smile. Twice I've seen others try to do it (non-status people) and they get rejected. ^

I'm 11-for-11 in upgrades in 2008. ^

The ladies in the F RCC are now knowing me by name. ^

A renovated F RCC is coming this spring! ^
Great story, I too have had some pretty good experiences this year, but what has hapenned to you recently takes the cake. Hopefully UA keeps up the good attitude.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 6:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GoingAway
You're obviously lucky enough to not be flying Mesa ... while I really appreciate what the treatment as a 1K on mainline, my recent experiences with UAX and UA's turning their back to even try to fix their own operation is really eating away at my allegiance to this organization.

Hope your 2008 travels continue to be handled so well.
Let TED's routes die and move TED to MESA, the worst UX carrier around,

Glad your enjoying the 1K life.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
This is almost scary...your experience with UA and customer service is almost identical to mine...even though I usually fly mainly international flights, this year I have been doing some domestic and I have a 4 out of 18 on time record...and I consider anything within an hour "on time"(mostly mechanical and crew related...only a couple due to weather) In the last week I have been called three times by different UA "suits"...I talked to all of them(well over two hours of conversation)... including a VP of maintenance (my jaw hit the pavement over this) who apologized for a number of my flights, explained the situation on a few of them and said UA dropped the ball on another two (I itemized the mechanical delays in my initial letter...I have a feeling that someone in ORD maintenance got reamed over a couple of the problems!!) and immediately credited my MP account with an impressive number of miles and...thump...my jaw hitting the pavement again...with four additional SWUs for my problems. He also asked me to report back (his private number) to him if I see any significant positive or negative changes in the condition of aircraft or in the number of mechanical or crew delays...he indicated that UA was taking this situation very seriously!! Today I received an apology letter from UA Customer Service with a number of customer relations travel certs....valid for international travel, shock of shocks!

I also had very positive experiences on TED this year...and since I have never flown TED before and heard the horror stories...on both my flights to and from New Orleans from LAX during Mardi Gras, my wife and I had the only open seat on the aircraft between us...and the gate agent at MSY made it a point to come on board to let me know that as a 1K I was very important to UA and made it clear to the FA that the seat was to remain open...and there were a number of UA employees in center E- seats! The FA on that flight gave me the full can of Coke as well...but not my wife (only a 1P)!!

I have top status on a number of airlines and have had positive and negative experiences on all of them...but as a long time 1K (since the very beginning)I have received consistantly good to excellent service on UA...don't get me started on SQ, LH and BA...how they keep their positive reputations is a mystery to me!!

So yes, it is good to be a 1K!!
Old Mar 11, 2008, 7:16 am
Used to be MBS PremExec
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by GoingAway
You're obviously lucky enough to not be flying Mesa ...
Ha! 14 (of my 33) segments have been on 1-cabin Mesa CRJs. Would have been one more if not for the re-route of me driving 2 hours to DTW as mentioned in my first post.

I will concede that Mesa has done NOTHING to give me this current warm-and-fuzzy man-crush I'm having on UA right now. It's once I get into the 'real' UA system that things have been so great.

Oh, one more great bennie has been 2 separate unsolicited 'Pam Coslet' e-mails with 5,000 and 8,000 bonus miles. Both times I flew with others...non-1Ks...They got nothing, I've received a collective 13,000 miles.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 7:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
Originally Posted by djlndc
But I'm certainly not getting good service. Been stranded twice by UA because of irregular ops, the last one kept me in Boston for 48 hours.
What happened that kept you in BOS for 48 hours??
Old Mar 11, 2008, 8:51 am

Programs: UA MM, QF Plat, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
I've also had a spectacular time since becoming a 1K last August. I've had only 3 flights late, and because one was due to a mechanical delay I was simply given the option of taking AA or US Airways home without having to jump through any hoops. My only other delays were weather and both worked out well.

My only major complaints about United are the FRA employees boarding by rows instead of groups and the poor condition and amenities of the RCCs. Since I'm definitely going to requalify for 2009 status, I am now starting to worry about how I can maintain 1K in 2010.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Hyatt Diamond
I have been 100% on upgrades this year and always gotten my meal choice!

Also...

Perhaps it was by chance buy on a JK flight Thursday, it was 90% full and I had a row all to myself.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 12:35 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
Originally Posted by djlndc
They were doing you a favor by allowing you to experience Boston
for 48 hr.

Anyhow, 90% of the time in the last decade I've been treated extremely
well by UA as a 1K: this includes the present day.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 2:35 am

Programs: AAexp, UA*G, HY LT Globalist, FB Plat, Centurion
Originally Posted by violist
They were doing you a favor by allowing you to experience Boston
for 48 hr.

Anyhow, 90% of the time in the last decade I've been treated extremely
well by UA as a 1K: this includes the present day.
I get treated extremely well as a 1K also. I also think that waiving all of the award change fees and ticketing fees is a big plus for me and my business. United really is on the right track with the way they have taught their employees to treat 1K flyers. Even the cabin crew knows that we are a "special crowd."

I have not had the experience with customer service like some of my flyers have had but then again, I don't really write snail mail letters. I have had some problems on planes from JFK/LAX and from IAD/LAX in F and C so maybe I should start putting those in the post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.