Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

What if I don't consider the schedule change "minor"?

Old Mar 8, 08, 8:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/ 1MM, SPG Plat

Question: I booked a ticket BOS-SYD (LONG HAUL!) in "W" almost 6 months ago. United has changed several parts of the itinerary including on the outbound leg making me leave about 45 minutes later than planned. I don't mind this, but I do mind getting back into Boston some 25 minutes later than planned. It's a Sunday night and I have some very important meetings Monday morning. I didn't book the ticket to get in this late and I don't feel its fair as a passenger for United to just do whatever they want to my ticket. There's no other option to get in earlier to BOS than to just come back the day before. So, I called reservations and asked to come back on saturday worried about getting in later. They said 'No'.
So I know there are some people on the board that will just say this is minor and I just have to deal with it. But I feel the premise is greater. I booked at ticket that said I'd get in earlier and United has changed that. Shouldn't they have to make some effort to accomodate me? The airline said, its a minor change (it would need to be a "90" minute change by UA standards to warrant any change), and too bad. So as a passsenger, I have no recourse? Also, I'm perplexed by United's unhelpfulness since I flew almost 150K last year and it really costs them nothing to make the change. (In fact, the saturday flight is almost empty compared to a Sunday oversell situation). Any thoughts?
Old Mar 8, 08, 8:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by uapremier View Post
The airline said, its a minor change (it would need to be a "90" minute change by UA standards to warrant any change), and too bad. So as a passsenger, I have no recourse?
Unfortunately, none I can think of. It's all spelled out in the Contract of Carriage. You have the option of standing by for an earlier flight for no charge, but that also means you have to get to the airport earlier.
Old Mar 8, 08, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

yeah- the issue is there's nothing earlier to standby for...
Old Mar 8, 08, 8:04 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
the issue is there's nothing earlier to standby for...
Then what do you expect them to do?
Old Mar 8, 08, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Right-so I asked to come back on the Saturday---a day earlier. It's the only option I can see to not get in so late. Same booking code available and the flight is nearly empty. It costs them nothing to change me. . .
Old Mar 8, 08, 8:10 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: up in the air
I don't think you have any recourse. UA committed to get you from A to B on a particular date, not an exact time. Besides, your flight could easily have been 30 minutes late. If your arrival time is that critical I would not have booked that flight.
Old Mar 8, 08, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
I think their 90 minute rule is pretty reasonable. Honestly, is 25 minutes going to kill your meeting the next morning? In all honesty I think it is you that is being a little unreasonable here, not United.

YMMV and IMHO, of course.
Old Mar 8, 08, 8:37 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by magiciansampras View Post
I think their 90 minute rule is pretty reasonable. Honestly, is 25 minutes going to kill your meeting the next morning? In all honesty I think it is you that is being a little unreasonable here, not United.

YMMV and IMHO, of course.
Well said. 25 minutes? Since it's not a non-stop from SYD-BOS you must have some other city that you're going to have to come from e.g., LAX or SFO most likely. Additionally, you have to go through customs.

25 minutes. . .wow - hardly worth sweating it imo.
Old Mar 8, 08, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA 1P
I was able to get rebooked on a flight the previous day when a flight (S fare) of mine had a 30-minute schedule change. The schedule change happened two weeks ago, and it took me about 3-4 tries with agents before they granted my request. It is possible if you have a good reason, and it sounds like you do. Keep calling back and politely asking. The agent won't be able to make the change without getting a supervisor's OK, so expect to spend a long time on the phone.
Old Mar 8, 08, 8:43 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Platinum
Don't roughly 30% of flights arrive more than 15 minutes late EVERYDAY? An hour I'd start to understand or perhaps if it means a guarantee of an expensive cab instead of the likelihood of a $2 subway fare.
Old Mar 8, 08, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
So I know there are some people on the board that will just say this is minor and I just have to deal with it.
I believe you have answered your own question.
Old Mar 8, 08, 9:00 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by ldsant View Post
25 minutes. . .wow - hardly worth sweating it imo.

Maybe in East Jibit, TX, or Seattle, WA. But where I am, and the OP is, 25 min could mean the difference of an HOUR+++ in traffic some days.
Old Mar 8, 08, 9:28 pm

Programs: VX unless destination indicates otherwise (damn hippieanarchistville--EUG--and PHX)
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40 View Post

Maybe in East Jibit, TX, or Seattle, WA. But where I am, and the OP is, 25 min could mean the difference of an HOUR+++ in traffic some days.
SEA does have bad traffic, from the Seattle PI "New report: Seattle's traffic second worst in nation"
TOP 10 CITIES IN THE U.S.
City
Los Angeles
Seattle-Everett
Atlanta
Houston
Dallas
Washington, D.C.
Denver
Austin
St. Louis
Orlando

According to this SEA has worse traffic than BOS. Also, please do not compare SEA to Easy Jibit, TX. SEA prides itself on being a metropolitan urban center, like AUS/SAT/DFW/IAH metro areas, not Easy Jibit.

Anyway, 25 minutes is minor. If the OP needs to be back early for an important meeting than he/she should have origionaly booked a flight better for his/her needs.
Old Mar 8, 08, 9:57 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by prismwiz View Post
SEA does have bad traffic, from the Seattle PI "New report: Seattle's traffic second worst in nation"
TOP 10 CITIES IN THE U.S.
City
Los Angeles
Seattle-Everett
Atlanta

. . .
According to this SEA has worse traffic than BOS. Also, please do not compare SEA to Easy Jibit, TX. SEA prides itself on being a metropolitan urban center, like AUS/SAT/DFW/IAH metro areas, not Easy Jibit.

Anyway, 25 minutes is minor. If the OP needs to be back early for an important meeting than he/she should have origionaly booked a flight better for his/her needs.
Well said. Additionally, the OP said that he is arriving 25 minutes late the DAY BEFORE he needs to be at a meeting. Said he is arriving on SUNDAY for a MONDAY meeting.
Old Mar 8, 08, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA Premier Executive
I don't know if the OP is correct that UA wants a change fee to move him to a nearly empty Sat. flight from an overbooked Sun flight. Wouldn't it make sense, though, for UA to offer free changes from crowded to uncrowded flights at UA's discretion. That could be a win-win as long as pax didn't get bent out of shape if UA didn't see enough of a load difference to offer the free change.

Search this Thread