Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Have you ever been lectured by Int'l award res. agents?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2008, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP

For some reason, the last couple of times I've called to check about Int'l award availability, I've gotten a lecture from a "helpful" res. agent and been treated like a complete rube.

To give an example, last night, I called to check on LX C or F availability to ZRH for late May outbound/early June inbound, and was chastized for waiting too long to book. Tons of US students and their families would be heading to Europe on vacation! Agent said he's already booking awards at the 330-day limit. Well...I'm sorry, but not everyone knows their travel plans 330 days in advance. I'm fully aware of the risk I'm taking.

He said, "why don't you go for a Y award? Do you realize that as a 1K, your husband has access to special inventory?" I responded that I was aware, but that I didn't want to sit in Y to Europe (especially given that I'll be 6+ months pregnant at the time). I figured I'd rather book an F award on UA or another *A carrier than waitlist in NY for C. He was like, "But you'll be able to sit in Economy Plus! It's not so bad!" At that point, I politely ended the conversation and hung up.

It often seems like my best experiences with reservations is when I know EXACTLY what I want and tell the agent what to do, and don't allow or ask for the agent to give their input on anything.

Thanks goodness for the ANA award search tool. Too bad there's no LX inventory loaded.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 11:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
That's not the norm from what I've experienced. Are you saying it happens each time you call or just the once. I would have thanked them sooner than that & called back. BTW - if you call later in the day you usually get HNL & they're pretty good.

From what I've heard award travel usually opens up early or late. I don't think LX opens up a lot of award travel. When I wanted to take it shortly after they joined *A, I called daily & lucked out after a bit. I had already ticketed on a dif routing but being 1K could make changes w/ no fee.

If by chance you do get LX you'll love their F & the service. What I did a few years ago when I wanted better routing was go to www.staralliance.com & plug in depart;arrival & it gave me EVERY *A routing. Then when I called UA (who usually just checks the first few routings, usually on their metal) I said what about this, what about this, and I'd mix it up so they wouldn't get into the no no pattern.

BTW - I've some GREAT Int'l Award agents who have thought outside the box & come up w/ suggestions that I hadn't thought of, so I don't think your experience is the norm.

Good luck! Cheers.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 1:35 pm

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
I have never been lectured by award res. agents.
On the contrary, I have lectured them.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
That's not the norm from what I've experienced. Are you saying it happens each time you call or just the once. I would have thanked them sooner than that & called back. BTW - if you call later in the day you usually get HNL & they're pretty good.
I was calling around midnight last night. Unfortunately, I don't know which res. center I reached. This "lecturing" has happened on several different occasions. I think the moral of the story may just be that I need to do more homework before I call, so the res. agent needs to do less thinking on their own.

If by chance you do get LX you'll love their F & the service. What I did a few years ago when I wanted better routing was go to www.staralliance.com & plug in depart;arrival & it gave me EVERY *A routing. Then when I called UA (who usually just checks the first few routings, usually on their metal) I said what about this, what about this, and I'd mix it up so they wouldn't get into the no no pattern.
Thanks for the tip. ^
Old Mar 8, 2008, 1:43 pm

For every person that knows exactly what he/she is doing when calling in, there's a number that doesn't. Sounds like unsolicited advice from call center employee to me.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kkjay77
I have never been lectured by award res. agents.
On the contrary, I have lectured them.
Yeah, same here. If the agent tried to lecture me I think I'd quickly respond with "Are you aware that your airline is blocking a lot of this First Class inventory to save money, something even US doesn't do?" That would only be the beginning...
Old Mar 8, 2008, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Generally speaking I find the Itnl. agents to be friendly and couteous.

However, a couple of occasions spring to mind:

I was making several changes to a multi (8) leg First Class award ticket (which was exactly the reason I took advantage of the unlimited free changes on an award booking)..

Me: I would like to change flight 'XXX' on XX.XX.XXXX to flight 'XXX' on XX.XX.XXX please. I had already checke on .bomb so I knew it was available.

Agent (sarcastically): Well, let me see here this ticket has been changed, hmmmm, SEVEN times already. I am not sure we can do that for you.

Me: Can I speak to a supervisor please.

line went dead before I had an opportunity to respond......

Another time an agent began to explain to me that I was not wise to book a direct flight with the same flight numbers if I wanted a good chance for my upgrades to clear on both segments. I had called to see how the waitlist was looking - that was all.

He proceeded to take a look (putting me on hold for over 5 mins) and told me I was in with a very good chance.

Immediately after the call I looked at My Itineraries and saw that not only had my upgrades and seat assignments DISAPPEARED for the entire itinerary, but after calling back and speaking with a smart agent (who was able to reinstate everything fortunately), he had also cancelled an entire transpacific segment. I was stunned....

And believe me I am always a nice and couteous Brit..
Old Mar 8, 2008, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA GS, aa platinum, hh gold, starwood platinum
I have found that doing a little research before you call helps. Most of the time I have gotten great help. The research helps for those occasions when the agent hasn't heard of the country or the city I am going to(or doesn't want to do the work). I can then suggest various routes that they can check. I also take advantage of the no fee award booking as a 1k and book something I like that may not be perfect, then call back on and off to see if i can get the "perfect" booking.
I do get the "well these are free tickets" line every once in a while too. I remind them that it is United who offers the tickets not me.
Old Mar 8, 2008, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM RCC, DL 2MM/FC, Marriott PL
FWIW, I got virtually the same identical "lecture" - including the 330-day limit part - about 2 weeks ago, when calling 1K int'l res to book a paid flight for me and a mileage ticket for my wife. The clear message was that I was an idiot for not having booked this May trip a year ago (doesn't matter that we learned we have to go last week), and UAL has to be very careful with what they give away for "free" (huh? I thought I'd paid for all those files I flew...)...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.