UAL Pricing SNA - SFO

Old Feb 10, 08, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UAL 1P, *wood Platinum
UAL Pricing SNA - SFO

I did a quick search but couldn't find anything.

Is it me or has the prices of fares for this leg gone way up. I swear last year I was able to get fares right around 300 or even less. The lowest I'm seeing in 2008 is $410 and that's booking a month out! It's hard to justify the price difference of a last minute fare UAL $800, SW $261.

Last year i made 1p on segments alone. It's mid feb and I still have 0 legs.
Old Feb 10, 08, 3:38 am

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by orisky View Post

Is it me or has the prices of fares for this leg gone way up. I swear last year I was able to get fares right around 300 or even less. The lowest I'm seeing in 2008 is $410 and that's booking a month out! It's hard to justify the price difference of a last minute fare UAL $800, SW $261.

SNA-SFO is a monopoly for United. UA uses this route for connections and not for o/d. United pretty much acquiesced the Socal/Bay Area market to WN (Except LAX-SFO). Even AS is pulling out SNA-OAK.

However you will find cheap fares for weekend specials. They usually come out with the weekly e-fares.
Old Feb 10, 08, 6:35 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Cheaper prices are showing online:

Round-Trip Price: USD 158.00+

United
offers non-stop service and connecting service Advance Purchase: See Rules Rules

Earliest Travel: 14Feb08
Latest Travel: 21Feb08

Round-Trip Price: USD 176.00+

United
offers non-stop service and connecting service Advance Purchase: See Rules Rules

Round-Trip
Old Feb 10, 08, 7:03 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
I just booked RIC-ORD-SNA-SFO-LAX as the outbound portion of a $168+ mileage run in L. The 752 on SNA-SFO is wide open (F9, NF9, L9).
Old Feb 10, 08, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wharvey View Post
Cheaper prices are showing online:
Round-Trip Price: USD 176.00+
United

Thanks for the replies, but that price is a President's day special. I'm primarily a business traveller so a more applicable date would be Feb 19-21, which the cheapest is then $435.

Even when I price this out a month to March 25-27, the low price is $415.

I do occassionally go up to SF for personal trips and that's when efares definitely help, but for the business travel, I guess I'll have to fly SWA.

*and can someone point me to the terminology glossary
Old Feb 10, 08, 11:35 am

Programs: DL Plat / UA Gold 1MM.
Originally Posted by ual744777sta View Post
SNA-SFO is a monopoly for United.
Actually AA has service on this route with RJs.
Old Feb 10, 08, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
It's hard to justify the price difference of a last minute fare UAL $800, SW $261.
I have similar "problems" with SFO-ONT where UA (with RJ equipment) is in my experience usually twice as as expensive as WN from OAK or SJC. E.g., $389 RT for an April 11-13 RT (WN: $128-$179 depending on time of the day). If UA can fill their planes at those prices, good for them, but my money in those cases will go to WN.
Old Feb 10, 08, 11:53 am

United also dropped the LAX-SNA route, meaning flights now need to route thru SFO to get to SNA. This certainly increased demand which would allow them to increase prices. http://blogs.usatoday.com/sky/2007/1...d-to-drop.html
Old Feb 10, 08, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA plus
*and can someone point me to the terminology glossary
Take a look at this thread for info on UA and FT.

The glossary link is in the first post of that thread

Welcome to FT!
Old Feb 10, 08, 4:20 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat

I feel your pain. I too fly this route quite often and with UA dropping the commuters planes from BUR-LAX, and SNA-LAX, and SAN-SNA that has just made the fares skyrocket . I have had to fly WN once (I've only done that 2x in the past 3 years) and on my next trip it was cheaper to fly SMF-SFO-SNA on UA ($215 vs $415) then direct. In the long run it means either flying to LAX or finding another solution WN will just not work out for me long term.
Old Feb 10, 08, 6:06 pm

Programs: UAL 1k
I feel your pain too. I used to fly RNO-SFO weekly on UA and have had to switch to WN into OAK. UA's price is 3x higher than WN - $339 vs $109. UA has a monopoly on this route too and prices are ridiculous plus reliability is terrible. Cancellations are frequent - so are delays.

While flying into OAK is inconvenient for me, I'm impressed with WN. They rarely cancel and when they do have a delay it isn't usually more than 30 min. Planes are generally new and clean. Drinks are free after a couple of flights.
Old Feb 10, 08, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

I just checked American and it's the exact same price, $415 a month out. I guess i'll just be racking up free flights on the cattlecar.

I work in the software industry where acronyms are abundant but I think this forum takes the cake

Thanks!

Last edited by orisky; Feb 10, 08 at 7:05 pm Reason: figured out what WN is... :)
Old Feb 10, 08, 7:14 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

Yep. But full fare LAX-SFO is not much better. Around $1100 for a B fare round trip.
Old Feb 10, 08, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by auh2o View Post
Yep. But full fare LAX-SFO is not much better. Around $1100 for a B fare round trip.
I just priced out LAX to SFO. last minute (tomorrow), as low as $300. 14+ days out, $109. no way i'm making the 1hr drive
Old Feb 10, 08, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat Elite
Not fun to have this route be so expensive. Strange considering san-sfo and lax-sfo can be so cheap and have so many flight options. I did book a midweek flight the other day(about 8 days out) ord-sna-sfo-ord that was only 430 and the ord-sna and sfo-ord legs took up about 350 of the price.

As a 1k, it is a big advantage to be able to change same day pretty easily, thus making the other options better.

i'm moving to orange county in a few months and will be making the perilus drive to LAX regularly - just as much for the regular direct flights to NY, sfo, SEA, PDX, etc as the price.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: