Search

Seat Poachers Exit row 15 on 747

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2008, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Seat Poachers Exit row 15 on 747

Hi,

I am getting fed up! Three out of my last four flights I have boarded the 747 on an intra-Asia route, only to find someone has happily settled into my row 15 UD seat before I got there. I generally board later on to spend more time in the lounge and miss the gate rush.

I have had:

...'my travel agent always books this seat for me - she must have screw up, do you mind if I stay here?'

...'I need to get out to go to restroom frequently so I am taking this seat if you don't mind'

(after waking them up)...'oh sorry'.. when I requested to see their boarding pass to make sure we were not double booked.

What do you guys do? Twice I let it go, but once I just stood there and insisted they move to their assigned seat. This is embarrassing for me in front of a quiet full cabin already, but I felt the need to do it. Why can't people just accept there is no 'entitlement' to that row. It's first in gets it!!!! Nobody ever poaches my downstairs middle seat!
Old Jan 26, 2008, 8:57 am
tfl

Programs: AA Platinum, UA PremEx
If you have the boarding pass get them moved!

Originally Posted by ivoryboi
Hi,

I am getting fed up! Three out of my last four flights I have boarded the 747 on an intra-Asia route, only to find someone has happily settled into my row 15 UD seat before I got there.

What do you guys do?
Well if your boarding pass says that's your seat, just as the flight attendant to get the person moved. Surely, it's that simple?
Old Jan 26, 2008, 8:59 am

Programs: UA, US, AA, Marriott Ambassador
If they don't move when I approach them, I talk to the FA. They are usually very good at resolving these issues. After all, there is the part on the UAL survey about 'were the flight attendants able to resolve any problems?'
Old Jan 26, 2008, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I would never let something like this slide. The poacher is the one who should be embarrassed, not you.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 9:09 am

Programs: UA S
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I would never let something like this slide. The poacher is the one who should be embarrassed, not you.
Agree, especially when were talking about the precious 744 row 15
Old Jan 26, 2008, 9:10 am

Remember that you can't control other people's behavior; you can only control your own response to their behavior.

Do not be embarrassed. You've done nothing wrong, and if anything the poachers should be embarrassed. Don't be so nice, and say 'Yes I do mind my seat being poached, now move along' with confidence!
Old Jan 26, 2008, 9:38 am

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
I agree, it's your seat either be aggressive or have the FA move the person. That is a very coveted seat, and if you have the BP, it's yours.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 9:42 am
gre

Programs: UA-Plat, Marriott-Plat, AAI, AAII
Last time I found someone in my exit row aisle seat I said loud enough for the people in the near vicinity to hear, "nice try!"

It was the Bozo in my seat that was embarrassed not me.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 9:44 am

Programs: Won Kay
Originally Posted by ivoryboi
Twice I let it go, but once I just stood there and insisted they move to their assigned seat. This is embarrassing for me in front of a quiet full cabin already, but I felt the need to do it.
First thing: you should NEVER "let it go."

Second: you should NEVER feel embarrassed for insisting to sit in the seat you have a boarding pass for.

All you need to do is pull out your boarding pass (showing the seat assignment) and say: "I'm sorry, you are in my seat. Please move to your assigned seat."

if they give you some excuse, just say: "I'm sorry to hear about that. Once you get to your assigned seat, you can ask the flight attendant fi they can accommodate your special needs."

If they don't move, then you just raise your voice and say: "Please get out of my seat! What is WRONG WITH YOU?!"
Old Jan 26, 2008, 9:55 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
and as a last resort, you could always ask one of the fams in 15b/g to move the pax
Old Jan 26, 2008, 9:59 am

Programs: United 1K, Starwood Platinum
I agree - I often experienced this on SFO-JFK 757 PS exit row 9 seats. Next time, talk real loud so the entire cabin recognizes the seat poacher. It should prevent them from trying again next time!
Old Jan 26, 2008, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flying in row 15 twice in the next 24 hours, so I think I'll board last both times just for fun and to see what happens. I would definitely tell them to move, especially if they try to play these games of lies, as seems to be the case.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Since UA does occasionally double-book seats, it's still a good idea to ask to see their BP before making accusations...
Old Jan 26, 2008, 10:23 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
The embarrassment of getting caught is not enough.
I will lobby UA to have the words 'Stool Scrounger' tattooed on their forehead.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 10:26 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Since UA does occasionally double-book seats, it's still a good idea to ask to see their BP before making accusations...
Agreed. I always give the poachers a chance at a graceful way out by simply asking "do you have 15A?" or whatever seat of mine they're trying to poach. I ask this as I'm producing my boarding pass and showing it to them. Occasionally I'll get the "I need this seat because..." excuse at which point I simply say "I see, but I reserved this seat specifically because ...(fill in appropriate counter-excuse here such as 'I'm tall' or 'I need to be close to...')" Works every time and in the end NOBODY poaches my seat!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.