Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Poachers Exit row 15 on 747

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2008, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.45MM, Marriott+SPG Plat, Clear, Nexus, Global Entry and MEX Viajero Confiable
Originally Posted by PTravel
Hi, Galley Gal!

Question: in a poaching (not dupe) situation, have you ever told the pax holding the boarding pass to the seat to take a different one (other than an op up to B or F, that is)? I've had this happen to me on two occasions and I think it is inappropriate.
I've seen this occur as well. Most times the F/A couldn't care less who is in the seat and will waive dismissively at the person standing saying "just take any seat that's still open". Guess what, the seats most often open at the end are the middle ones.

I'd much rather see the FA grab the GA and sort it via status, fare, or something other than some "who cares about your issue" hand wave. At a minimum, that should setup for some comp opportunity if you have the GA involved.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NH_Clark
I've seen this occur as well. Most times the F/A couldn't care less who is in the seat and will waive dismissively at the person standing saying "just take any seat that's still open". Guess what, the seats most often open at the end are the middle ones.
That's exactly what happened to me. I said, "no, I don't think so, let's get the GA." In one instance, the FA heaved a sigh and kicked the poacher out of my seat. In the other situation (on CO), it happened in F, and the FA stared at me and said, "Are you refusing to follow my instructions?" I said, "no," and sat down in the aisle seat, rather than the window which I need and go to great lengths to book (and, no, it wasn't because of a FAM -- my original seat was 1A). After we took off, one of the other FAs who witnessed this scene came over and apologized profusely. She said, "you know, if you had refused she would have called security and had you removed." I said, "I know -- that's why I sat down." She apologized again and said, if I wanted, she would have a supervisor meet me when we landed. I said, "yes, please." However, we got in late, the supervisor wasn't at the gate and I had a tight connection. It was, however, one of the events that helped me decide to abandon CO and switch to UA.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 8:07 pm

Programs: United 1P
Sadly this has happened to me three or four times, though not on UA. In a couple of cases, it has been an international flight where the passengers from the first leg have had to remain on the plane. So, they spread out for the forty minute wait.

It's the FA behavior that irks me. Those BA gals can be downright snotty, and so I now refuse to fly BA (well, that and the leaking toilet, the broken seats, and the shortage of beverages ). Being told to "just take any seat that's open" is insulting. Why bother with bookings, boarding passes, and priority seating if you're not going to honor the details?
Old Jan 26, 2008, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA 2p
I like the tactic of a previous poster: A jovial but stern "Nice try!" should end things quickly.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 8:41 pm

Programs: HH Silver, Eurostar CarteBlanche
Originally Posted by PTravel
Hi, Galley Gal!

Question: in a poaching (not dupe) situation, have you ever told the pax holding the boarding pass to the seat to take a different one (other than an op up to B or F, that is)? I've had this happen to me on two occasions and I think it is inappropriate.
In a word, NO. People request seats for a reason and I understand that.If the poacher wants to move to a *better* seat after everyone is on and seated, fine but no stealing others seats.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Why bother with a counter-excuse?
Reson 1: In the event of a true seat dupe you don't end up acting like a jerk.

Reason 2: If its a poacher it basically throws whatever lame excuse they might have back at them and leaves them no recourse but to vacate the seat. Along with that, it lets them know that you know what they are attempting, that they are simply not going to get away with it, and that they sound foolish trying. You should see some of the looks I've gotten... Frankly, I won't leave it to the F/As. As evidenced by other posters, there's too much risk of simply being directed to a lesser seat.

Originally Posted by asya999
"I really need this seat because I'm tall" answer with "Oh, I especially booked this seat because I'm tall" - this one will work particularly well if you're 5'5" like me
Thats an easy one for me since I'm 6'5". For some strange reason nobody has ever challenged me on it...

Last edited by PHLGovFlyer; Jan 26, 2008 at 9:02 pm
Old Jan 26, 2008, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
What??

Row 15 upstairs and you let them stay? You are definitely going to heaven - unlike me.

I just stand there when this happens, say something like "I think you have the wrong seat", smile, and continue to stand while looking at the ceiling or anywhere else non-controversial. They'll move - quick - probably back to coach.

Last edited by UAAAPeter; Jan 26, 2008 at 9:58 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 26, 2008, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K; HH Diamond;
I've never had a seat poucher try to take my seat, and if it does happen I'll certainly have little sympathy for whatever excuse is offered.

However, twice I've been the one in the seat when I'm told "I think you're in my seat." And wouldn't you know it, both times my upgrade cleared late, and a quick check with the FA and GA produced a new C class BP!

Of course both these times I was in E+; still waiting for it to happen when already in biz.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 10:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Most times the F/A couldn't care less who is in the seat and will waive dismissively at the person standing saying "just take any seat that's still open".
To me, that would be an open invitation to move up to F. If someone asks, tell them the FA ordered you to do so.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 12:02 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, and no status whatsoever on the airlines (!)
I've found someone in my assigned seat about three times last year.

In one case, it was on a small regional jet SJC-LAX, and:
- it was a clueless family who likely didn't know any better
- I figured that none of the seats were really better or worse than any other

The plane was pretty much ready for takeoff by this time, so I agreed to just take the seat that one of those family members had been assigned to.

A few minutes later, an FA who had witnessed the interaction came over to thank me, and invite me to grab a window seat on the exit row... with the seat next to me empty. Woo hoo!

Another time, it was simply a mistake, and the person apologized and graciously got out of the seat.

The most recent time, though... the big scary looking fellow (seated next to big scary looking fellas) growled, "Please change" when I noted that he was sitting in my seat. He pointed forcefully to the seat in front of him where I was to sit, and I did. I figured (perhaps irrationally, perhaps not) that protesting would result in either my stuff or me ending up prematurely in that big metaphorical spot in the sky that's not an airplane.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 1:24 am

Location: In a van down by the river near DSM, close to ORD and DEN
Programs: UA 1K UGS, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Chucky Cheese Premier Member
Talking 15g

Just my $0.02 worth…..

A few months ago, I did a quick weekend mileage run on UA 895 ORD to HKG and got seat 15G, arguably the most coveted seat on the big "Boing" 747 (outside of 1st, of course). I boarded late and there was an Aussie bloke sitting there in my seat. I said I thought that was my seat and he pulled out his tic with 15G clearly displayed. Somehow, they overbooked that seat.

This chap was a 1K million miler and I had not yet got my MM status, but I was a Global Services member, which he was not. He saw the UGS status and quickly agreed to move to another open seat on the upper deck, even though he was a MM flyer and I was not at the time. I tried to call over the FA to settle things, but he would have none of it, he just moved.
The point of the story is that most true air warriors know the hierarchy and respect it. Some don't, but most folks who know the rules of the air abide by them. Could this guy have pulled cumulative rank and taken my seat, yes probably, but he saw a greenhorn young pup punk wet behind the ears and lived to fight another flight segment. Long story short, don't ever give up your row 15 seats!!!
Old Jan 27, 2008, 1:37 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by FreeBirdie
Just my $0.02 worth…..

A few months ago, I did a quick weekend mileage run on UA 895 ORD to HKG and got seat 15G, arguably the most coveted seat on the big "Boing" 747 (outside of 1st, of course). I boarded late and there was an Aussie bloke sitting there in my seat. I said I thought that was my seat and he pulled out his tic with 15G clearly displayed. Somehow, they overbooked that seat.

This chap was a 1K million miler and I had not yet got my MM status, but I was a Global Services member, which he was not. He saw the UGS status and quickly agreed to move to another open seat on the upper deck, even though he was a MM flyer and I was not at the time. I tried to call over the FA to settle things, but he would have none of it, he just moved.
The point of the story is that most true air warriors know the hierarchy and respect it. Some don't, but most folks who know the rules of the air abide by them. Could this guy have pulled cumulative rank and taken my seat, yes probably, but he saw a greenhorn young pup punk wet behind the ears and lived to fight another flight segment. Long story short, don't ever give up your row 15 seats!!!

Perhaps you screwed up. The agents at SYD may have given you F for this screw-up since you are GS. The worst (IMHO, since I know the managers there really well) that could have happened was that you would have gotten your original seat.

And welcome to FT!!!
Old Jan 27, 2008, 2:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K(0.7MM) Hilton Gold/La Quinta Gold
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Perhaps you screwed up. The agents at SYD may have given you F for this screw-up since you are GS. The worst (IMHO, since I know the managers there really well) that could have happened was that you would have gotten your original seat.

And welcome to FT!!!
Welcome also FreeBirdie

I've had a similar in Sydney, both with the same seat, FA took both stubs, came back and said to me "Here is a better seat number"

It was a very short turn around in SYD from MEL, Walk up and Walk down, I was upgraded from MEL-SYD for that trip only, but was upgraded during flight to my new seat.

I've never had a poacher, but I also never jump to conclusion that someone is stealing my seat.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 2:17 am

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by FreeBirdie
Just my $0.02 worth…..

It's because us Aussies are nice ^
Old Jan 27, 2008, 2:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by AndDee
It's because us Aussies are nice ^
I'm glad to hear it (have I noticed that in reality?)

I don't think I'd be so nice if someone had stolen my seat (and you know, a lady aways wins).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.