Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat Poachers Exit row 15 on 747

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2008, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Mariott, Hertz Presidents Circle
[QUOTE=asya999;9139089]Oh, I interpreted as "use their own excuse back".

"I need this seat because I need to go to the bathroom frequently" answer "Oh, I especially booked this seat because *I* need to go to the bathroom frequently".

I usually say well you should have booked the seat right next to the bathroom in the back. That way no one would get in your way if you needed to go.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just usually say "Excuse me, I think that's my seat." If it's someone who I think is poaching, I'll just stick to the last three words.

It's been a long time since I've run into a poacher. It seems like I run into someone who unintentionally is in my seat maybe once or twice a year.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 3:11 pm

Programs: HH Silver, Eurostar CarteBlanche
Please save your time and rising annoyance and get a crew member if you find someone in your seat during boarding. Sometimes there *are* seat dupes ( for duplicates), sometimes that is a computer glitch and sometimes it is because the original seat holder was upgraded. The crew has no emotional investment in whose seat it is, if this happens I go to the seat occupuier and explain there seems to be a seat dupe, may I see their boarding card. if it is not their seat, I direct them to their correct one or to the gate agent if they wish another. Problem solved. Dont give yourself unnecessary agita!
Old Jan 26, 2008, 3:11 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
If you have 15D, you're not on a 747...
Or they are simply not travelling at all and wanted to fit in
Old Jan 26, 2008, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA MP-1K/GS
Although this happened to my hubby and not me, I liked his way of dealing with an attempted poacher...

He boarded a flight and was heading for his assigned window seat. As he was about to get into his seat, a woman with a young boy asked if my hubby would switch his window seat for the middle seat next to hers. Hubby politely stated that he would prefer to keep his wondow seat. At that point she proceeded to loudly say to her son "Come on Billy, this mean man won't switch seats with you".

What she did not realise is that my hubby noticed her entire party board. She was not just traveling with her son, but her spouse as well. He had settled into his (window) seat and proceeded to tune her out as she was managing the details with her son. He also ignored his son's requests to sit by the window.

At that point my husband replied to her loudly as well "I would be happy to give up my window seat as soon as your husband gives up his".

She did not attemt asking anyone else....
Old Jan 26, 2008, 3:45 pm

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
Try reeking of alcohol and holding a barf bag.. "I get a bit nervous on flights."

But the prep time is a good hour or two in the airport bar.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 3:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA EXP & UA Gold
I had a row 15 issue once. Saw some dewd sitting in "my seat". I was ready to pitch a fit, but bit my tongue and I asked nicely to see his boarding pass. Indeed, it was a dupe. FA took both BPs downstairs to sort it out, and I ended up with 5A!
Old Jan 26, 2008, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by simplyme
asked if my hubby would switch his window seat for the middle seat
Some people need their head examined. Not for 4 SWUs would I agree to this.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GalleyGal
Please save your time and rising annoyance and get a crew member if you find someone in your seat during boarding. Sometimes there *are* seat dupes ( for duplicates), sometimes that is a computer glitch and sometimes it is because the original seat holder was upgraded. The crew has no emotional investment in whose seat it is, if this happens I go to the seat occupuier and explain there seems to be a seat dupe, may I see their boarding card. if it is not their seat, I direct them to their correct one or to the gate agent if they wish another. Problem solved. Dont give yourself unnecessary agita!
Hi, Galley Gal!

Question: in a poaching (not dupe) situation, have you ever told the pax holding the boarding pass to the seat to take a different one (other than an op up to B or F, that is)? I've had this happen to me on two occasions and I think it is inappropriate.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 4:13 pm

Angry Seat Poachers Exit Row 15 on 747

I would kick their ... out of your GREAT Business Class Seat, (or at least let the flight attendent do it for you). Do not put up with this! If you have a ticket with this seat booked, why should you have to move?
Old Jan 26, 2008, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA 1KMMGS, EK Skywards Silver, SPG Gold,
Originally Posted by ivoryboi
Hi,

I am getting fed up! Three out of my last four flights I have boarded the 747 on an intra-Asia route, only to find someone has happily settled into my row 15 UD seat before I got there. I generally board later on to spend more time in the lounge and miss the gate rush.

I have had:

...'my travel agent always books this seat for me - she must have screw up, do you mind if I stay here?'

...'I need to get out to go to restroom frequently so I am taking this seat if you don't mind'

(after waking them up)...'oh sorry'.. when I requested to see their boarding pass to make sure we were not double booked.

What do you guys do? Twice I let it go, but once I just stood there and insisted they move to their assigned seat. This is embarrassing for me in front of a quiet full cabin already, but I felt the need to do it. Why can't people just accept there is no 'entitlement' to that row. It's first in gets it!!!! Nobody ever poaches my downstairs middle seat!
Sorry, but the question I have is where did you end up going on the two occasions that the poachers got away with this nonsense? Did they pull out their boarding pass and direct you to their seat? Were they upstairs at least? In C?
Old Jan 26, 2008, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by Babu
Some people need their head examined. Not for 4 SWUs would I agree to this.
I would sit in a middle seat in C for 4 SWUs.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by mre5765
I would sit in a middle seat in C for 4 SWUs.
Well then, the next time I am stuck in a middle seat, maybe I should ask the FA to make such an offer for me over the PA. I wonder how many takers there would be.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 5:37 pm

Programs: MP, 1K 1MM
Only once

in 25+ years flying UA (I just got my greenbar printout from MP, all 40+ pages of all my MP flights) have I experienced a "poacher." It was in the back of a 74, LHR-LAX. The occupant of my assigned aisle seat was packing a cane and had his left leg half in/out of the aisle. I presented my BP but he said, "I need this seat for my leg." An FA intervened and asked if I were willing to be re-seated. I made a joke of it by turning my back and waving my hand, palm-side up, in the classic "feed me cash" gesture, saying loudly, "Oh, I'm sure there must be SOME way I could be reseated. Think large denomination bils in Swiss currency..." Everybody started laughing as she took my hand and lead me to a (ghastly) inner seat in the 5-across section. I did get a little complimentary alcohol, and a story to tell. But no Swiss currency.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 6:48 pm
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
I'm a little surprised by this thread. For intra Asia flights, which are often pretty early, I'd assume first it was an honest, sleepy mistake than a poach. And the remedy is pretty simple--just compare boarding passes.

In at least one case I thought someone was in my nice row 15 seat, but, because I was sleepy or just plain out-of-it, I was the one who had made the mistake. There's plenty of opportunity to get aggressive about this stuff when you're contending with the masses for just about anything else.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.