Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more seat blocking? Is it really true?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2008, 10:59 am

Programs: UA 1P
Also, the more I think about, I'm wondering - what's the business rationale for this? If they need the blocked seats, they'll use them, and if they don't need them, what's the harm in leaving them empty?
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Rolling implimentation

I have 6 flights booked and so far this is only occurring on one of my segments. But either way, the agent indicated that it would take 3 weeks for all flights in the system to be impacted. The system apparently updates flight by flight. Keep watching them.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
Unhappy

I was really hoping this was about an end to starnet seat blocking. I was foolish for even thinking this.

Last edited by number5858; Jan 22, 2008 at 11:12 am Reason: typo
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:15 am

Programs: AA, AS, TZ, UA, Clipper, EZ-Link, Hop, Navigo, Octopus, Oyster
Originally Posted by yofra
Also, the more I think about, I'm wondering - what's the business rationale for this?
I often book flights close to departure and the seatmap shows no availability, because of blocked seats. This change could at least allow choosing an empty middle exit row such as 8D on the 757, versus an empty middle seat elsewhere. Lesser of two evils...
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MPVG
Originally Posted by dieselbear
I often book flights close to departure and the seatmap shows no availability, because of blocked seats. This change could at least allow choosing an empty middle exit row such as 8D on the 757, versus an empty middle seat elsewhere. Lesser of two evils...
True, but you were already able to get that blocked seat in E+ by calling UA. So the marginal benefit here accrues to those who don't have to call to get around the block (and UA for fielding one less phone call).

The only other way I could see it making a 'real' difference is if blocked middles somehow discouraged buy-ups (e.g., non-elites had the option to buy-up before the flight but would be less likely to do so if they saw no availability). However, I don't see how this would play out in practice, since the buy-up is usually done day-of-departure or over the phone.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:55 am

Programs: DL gold; UA - 1k; AA gold; Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Diamond; SPG gold; Groupon Falcon;
I'd hate to see seat blocking go the way of the dodo. While it is not an official benefit - and if it were, UA could eliminate it at their whim - it is a very nice touch that I would certainly miss, and it might impact my airline choices.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
I would *prefer* to see seat blocking go away. When I'm trying to pick my seat, it's annoying to not be able to tell whether a seat is occupied or just blocked because an elite is sitting in the window. All other things considered, I'd rather pick an aisle with an empty middle seat rather than one already assigned, even though I know it can all change on the day of the flight.

In actual practice, it usually doesn't matter. On most of my flights, either all the E+ middles are empty, or all of them are full. If they are all full, I'm not going to benefit from seat blocking anyway.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 12:32 pm

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
I don't think seat blocking works in the window areas, only the middle seats.
Old Jan 22, 2008, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
I bet this won't matter for most flights, depending on how they implement it. If they are only cutting blocking, there are only two cases where it might make a difference. First, if I pick the aisle and an (elite) couple comes along and decides to sit next to me, rather than choose an empty E+ row (unlikely, since they would pick the row if it were available), E- row (also unlikely), or sit next to an E+ Access person (who are rare in that they don't fly much, since they aren't elite). Second, once all windows and aisles are taken, other elites can assign themselves to sit beside me, rather than have to call to do it (I imagine this is rare, too, as most elites call, or otherwise end up assigned next to me anyhow). All we really lose is the semi-predictable pattern that GAs use to assign (mostly non-elite) people to E+ at the airport...and I bet front-to-back is still a good guess.

What would bug me, but probably create the biggest operational benefits, is if they started somehow letting non-elites check-in to E+ seats once E- was full, rather than doing it manually at the gate. Unless this were done just right, it might make it possible for non-elites to end up in E+, leaving some empty E- seats. That would make elites worse off.

Do other airlines seat block?
Old Jan 23, 2008, 1:33 am

Programs: UA Platinum, 1M, HH Diamond
Unless you like Exit Windows

[QUOTE=PVDProf;9115631]...First, if I pick the aisle and an (elite) couple comes along and decides to sit next to me, rather than choose an empty E+ row (unlikely, since they would pick the row if it were available)...QUOTE]

I think it is quite likely a couple would pick the Exit Row (11 on Ted especially) over an empty E+ row. I rarely get flights with an empty seat, but when I have had flights with a lot of E+ rows empty, I've had pairs sit next to me in 11 even when there were other completely empty E+ rows.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 4:22 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by brysal
..I was notified by the agent that United will no longer block the middle seat for premieres of any level. This was then verified by a Supervisor and then again by 1K Customer relations..
This would be the very first time in history that UA would inform its employees about anything . I mean normally, it is on FT for months before the first employees ever heard about a feature which is new to the software (see reserving upgrades, no longer being able to switch instruments, seat assignment online etc.).

But such an elaborate excuse just to get rid of a customer . This is very new to me .
Old Jan 23, 2008, 4:23 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Wiggums
I don't think seat blocking works in the window areas, only the middle seats.
It works on the 757 and the 747, not of course on the 767 and the 777 where there is a mere 2 seat arrangement at the window.
But it works on the 4 seat blocks of the 747 and the 5 seat blocks on the 777, so not just the 'middle'.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Premier Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
It would suck for me if UA were to start doing this because my SO and I benefit from this quite a bit when we travel together. I'm usually 1P or 2P and like window seats and she's not and likes the aisle. The seat blocking works great for us because that leaves the middle seat free for us to put coats and things in (Strap 'em in w/ a seatbelt. The F/As never both us about it and I think actually like it because it leaves space in the overhead bins) in the air.
Seat block has let us sit together and have a little extra room at the same time.

I do agree about the practical effect with those who are pointing out loading factors recently, but it mostly seems to work, even on relatively full flights.
The only time it seems to completely fall through is when they're trying to cram every last stand-by on board they can.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 12:37 am

Programs: UA 1K
I don't see it being a big problem at all. Right now the phantom seat is kind of annoying because you can't tell whether it's a real person sitting in that seat or not. The middle blocking only hold true until E+ is filled up and they need to remove the blocking so that other premiers can assign seat. It's not like United will block those seats forever such that you pay 1 ticket and get 2 seat, that wasn't the intention.

Personally, I don't think people would prefer to stuck in middle seat when there's aisle or window available. Just imagine you opening the seat map, you would be looking for empty rows or seats that have middle open. So it probably won't make any difference at all.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 12:53 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
I tried an experiment; I'm in 16H (upgrade still pending) on a 772 in late April, HNL-SFO. This is the aisle of the 2 by the window; no "phantom" next to me. I moved to the aisle of the middle 5; the phantom appeared. So I moved back to my original seat; phantom goes away.

Just a data point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.