Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ICC vs. Ethical Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2008, 1:27 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by stevenshev
Again, it is immoral. You are behaving in a way that is objectively wrong (and detrimental to those actually calling with international travel needs) for your own benefit, without necessity.

As I said above: would I do it? Yes.
------------------
You are kidding, right ?? What United reservationist would turn down the call for the sake of accepting a sale on United ? (and preserving domestic call center jobs) ? I don't get how this could possibly be immoral. Time to get out of your politically correct straight jacket !
Old Jan 21, 2008, 2:29 pm

The only thing immoral here is lying about international when it's domestic. That's all. Let's take lying out of the equation: If there's an unpublished number that allows you to get an agent who is assigned to international desk (you do not know this), without having to lie, would this be immoral?

I submit that this act, sans the lie, would not be immoral.

What is the net result? The same. You get an agent that books your domestic trip efficiently. Others who wait in the queue are pushed back. Basically it equates to cutting in line.

Is cutting in line immoral? That would depend on the societal and cultural norm. I just returned from a trip to India, where every time boarding was announced, there's a massive wave of people converging upon one agent and the gate, as if Vietcong has entered Saigon. It is no more than human beings selfishly competing for limited resource - something we've done for thousands of years. Unethical perhaps, immoral maybe in the US of A, but in the overall scheme of things, no immoral.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.