Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

2008 Elite Choice Team Competition Status Master Thread

2008 Elite Choice Team Competition Status Master Thread

Old Jan 14, 2008, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
If someone nominates me to 3P, I'll join a team. I hit 12k EQM in 2007 and will be close to 175k this year. I had planned on putting about 80k eqm on NW, but if I join this I'd go exclusively for UA.

Most fares will be Y/B so the spend will be quite high too, if that makes a difference.

Let me know if any team is looking for a traveler.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 11:00 am

Programs: AA PP, Hilton/MR Gold
I'm a 2P who did ~26k last year. I expect to make 60k this year.

Not a huge increase, but if someone wants me, count me in.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 11:10 am

Programs: UA Plat, Starbucks Gold
Okay, I've read all six pages of this thread, and I must admit I'm a little baffled by what UA is gaining through this competition. Like an earlier poster, I can imagine some spouses picking up additional flights and they may attract the business of a few new corporate hires, but otherwise, it mainly rewards people who (by coincidence) will be doing exceedingly much more travelling in this year than last, rather than really encouraging a change of habits. It certainly does NOT reward their loyal customers or encourage people who fly a lot to fly more. It seems like they may well be rewarding people who were already going to fly a lot with them already because of life circumstance. And although I know miles are not money, it does seem like UA is making a pretty hefty investment in the prize pool.

For what it's worth I made 2P on segments with about 24K in EQMs last year, and expect to have about 40K this year (a few factors could give me a shot at 1P on segments but probably not) so I don't think I'm an attractive teammate.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 11:12 am

Programs: DL Gold ex DM, Marriott and Hilton Gold
let's get some teams formed and sign up.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1mm Gold. Former 1K and GS.
I'd be happy to join a team

Flew JUST over 50K miles FY2007, 45K of them in December alone. New job.

Already planning much travel in '08. Should be net gain 75-100K (or more) for '08.

My min travel crosses 9 time zones in paid C, every month at least (twice this month). A few RTW in paid C is not out of the question either.

If you're interested in the fun and comeraderie of discussing travels, perhaps and occasional meet-up, I'd be a good team member for you.

If your intention is SOLELY to win, don't draft me. However, if you're up for the fun of the chase and not a guaranteed victory, drop me a PM.

Lastly, I'd rather join a team sooner than later just for the fun of keeping track. Whilst stacking a team at the deadline is certainly in concert with the FT spirit, I'd rather be able to post a team rather than be drafted at the last second because I dropped 100K on travels this year. Just a thought.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Hmm, another person here would could have helped last year (went from 30k EQM in 06 to 130k in 07. I might barely hit 100k this year, but that would be about it.

I could sign my dad up - he did 0 EQM last year, but is looking at SFO-TPE 3-4 times this year, possibly more (I nominated him to 2P).
Old Jan 14, 2008, 4:46 pm

How fun.

I did a grand total of 500 EQMs last year. That could go a long ways toward offsetting a 1K or UGS's mileage.

I've been thinking about switching to United.

I have a feeling that a number of FTers are going to benefit from this. Fifty teams is a lot. And the new corporate people would've had to be a mileage plus member in 2007, which might knock a few out.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MPVG
I was telling FBKSette about this promo last night, and she didn't find it that interesting. Her comment was that the 'team' element seemed pretty weak, if being a team just means submitting a few email addresses to some web site, then sitting back and watching/flying.

While I don't totally agree with her (those of us on FT will glean some entertainment from watching the various teams 'compete'), I see where she's coming from. To that end, anyone want to speculate on whether UA will do more with the 'team' element?

For example, I could imagine a sub-promo where team members get a bonus for flying on the same flight/itinerary or to the same destination (maybe the bonus increases with each additional member). Obviously this kind of thing does less to strictly promote earning EQMs, but it would add a little richness to the game.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by FBKSan
For example, I could imagine a sub-promo where team members get a bonus for flying on the same flight/itinerary or to the same destination (maybe the bonus increases with each additional member). Obviously this kind of thing does less to strictly promote earning EQMs, but it would add a little richness to the game.
That would fit in well with FT culture and DOs
Old Jan 14, 2008, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA 1mm Gold. Former 1K and GS.
Originally Posted by ECOTONE
If someone nominates me to 3P, I'll join a team. I hit 12k EQM in 2007 and will be close to 175k this year. I had planned on putting about 80k eqm on NW, but if I join this I'd go exclusively for UA.

Most fares will be Y/B so the spend will be quite high too, if that makes a difference.

Let me know if any team is looking for a traveler.
This is not meant to be sarcastic. I think I might be missing something though.

Why would you request a 3P nomination when you'd hit 2p by February anyway? Plus, don't Y fares afford many of the bennies of 3P anyway?

Like I said, just questions.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by climmy
Why would you request a 3P nomination when you'd hit 2p by February anyway?
Presumably so that the first 25K EQM could be spent in E+ and with priority check-in/security.

Originally Posted by climmy
Plus, don't Y fares afford many of the bennies of 3P anyway?
Nope. Y fares used to allow E+, but not for over a year now IIRC. other than that, Y fares never allowed you to use priority check-in/security (which is a benefit of 3P), nor would they provide discounts on purchased e-500s, higher priority on waitlists, etc. 3P status also qualifies you for complimentary upgrades on certain Y fares, which are not available to GMs.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 3:54 pm

Programs: Affilated with the orders of I need to rest, doctor's orders!
I had only one person PM me requesting to join forces.

I replied...

But I haven't heard anything yet.

Doesn't anyone want to be on the winning team?
Old Jan 15, 2008, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hsxagent
I had only one person PM me requesting to join forces.

I replied...

But I haven't heard anything yet.

Doesn't anyone want to be on the winning team?
Ermmmm..... emmmmmm.... or maybe you're just already on a winning team?
Old Jan 15, 2008, 4:23 pm

Programs: Affilated with the orders of I need to rest, doctor's orders!
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Ermmmm..... emmmmmm.... or maybe you're just already on a winning team?
It lives...

I've been clicking my heels all day and night waiting for you to e-mail me.

PM if we are still on.

P.S. I booked another FRA trip... You have to join me before your finals... I can't do another trip without hot nuts.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA 2P, SPG Gold
I had just under 16,000 EQM last year - mostly as part of a 1P match challenge. Although my travel future is very up in the air at this point, I expect to requalify for 1P no problem.

I will join any team that will take me - just shoot me a PM.

p.s. My account was created well before 1/1/07, so I do satisfy the requirements for entry.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.