FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Consolidated "Lounge Access in SYD" Thread [Merged] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/777306-consolidated-lounge-access-syd-thread-merged.html)

flyerbjorn Nov 16, 2010 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by VPescado (Post 15153396)
+1 for the discouragement at SK.

Last weekend was my time in SYD that I wasn't rushing to get to the gate in time, and decided to check out the lounges. I had heard about the great NZ lounge, but was passing the SK lounge to get there. I hadn't read this thread so I just walked in.

"Your lounge is down the corridor" I was told.

He sighed and wrote down my MP number.

The lounge is small...but the showers were quite nice, and they have exotic cup o' soup options like chili-crab.

It's very simple. You're of course entitled to use the SKL.

However, the NZ lounge is a better lounge for UA passengers, because there's a UA employee there and they will announce the changes and departure info of your flight. So if you're unfamiliar with SYD and flying on UA, they recommend you go next door.

docbert Nov 16, 2010 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies (Post 15161365)
I got the same reaction when I visited the SQ lounge in Sydney. I told her that I was * Gold, and gave her my card. She still seemed kind of weird when I walked in..

Not surprising, given that 90% of the people that do walk in are probably genuinely lost and looking for the AirNZ lounge.

Whilst the AirNZ lounge obviously isn't an RCC, it's also not 'just' a *G lounge given that it's staffed in part by UA staff.

UNITED863 Nov 16, 2010 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies (Post 15161365)
I got the same reaction when I visited the SQ lounge in Sydney. I told her that I was * Gold, and gave her my card. She still seemed kind of weird when I walked in..

+1, and it was just me, and the agent's friends (co-workers?) there in the first class section when I was in there. Had a look, then went back over to the NZ lounge. Wasn't impressed.

Boraxo Nov 29, 2010 11:56 am

Finally met Annie last week. As noted, she was delightful and asked me to extend her best regards to everyone on FT.

The lounge itself seemed a bit crowded mid-afternoon, and the food selection was not as good as I remembered though plenty of salads.

tednugent(no relation) Nov 30, 2010 2:11 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 15333091)
Finally met Annie last week. As noted, she was delightful and asked me to extend her best regards to everyone on FT.

The lounge itself seemed a bit crowded mid-afternoon, and the food selection was not as good as I remembered though plenty of salads.

+1 :)

I was there on Sunday 11/28 and got to meet Annie (brought her some 100% Kona coffee from Hawaii ^)
As noted here and elsewhere, she is a real gem!

The AirNZ lounge is nice enough; the beer was good (it was Aussie :cool:) and the wines were excellent (they were Kiwi :p). The food was mildly interesting.

RdFltErr Jan 19, 2011 2:31 pm

Lounge access in Sydney w/ Wi-Fi

Hi there!

I'll be traveling from Sydney Airport today and realized I need Internet Access and will be getting kicked out of my hotel early.

I am on an international business class ticket to SFO and am hoping to utilize a lounge in the Sydney airport for using the Internet, but...

1) Am not sure if they offer it (and can't find the info anywhere)
2) Am not sure if there are multiple lounges and which one is better

Was wondering if any of you expert flyertalkers might help based on your experience. Wi-Fi is actually the most important part (I have Boingo Global if that matters)

Thanks!

Asuka Jan 19, 2011 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by RdFltErr (Post 15692238)
I'll be traveling from Sydney Airport today and realized I need Internet Access and will be getting kicked out of my hotel early.

I am on an international business class ticket to SFO and am hoping to utilize a lounge in the Sydney airport for using the Internet, but...

1) Am not sure if they offer it (and can't find the info anywhere)
2) Am not sure if there are multiple lounges and which one is better

Was wondering if any of you expert flyertalkers might help based on your experience. Wi-Fi is actually the most important part (I have Boingo Global if that matters)!

Wifi is available in the Sydney NZ Lounge, there are little strips of paper with the password to use at the front desk, they seem to change it every now and again.

Speed can be abit shocking depending on how many people are downloading.

{added later}
The main Access Point (for those Technical) is located directly after you walk in, near the common access computer, it is out in open, near the sign in book, you can see the flashing lights, if it's going mad or hard on, it's going to be slow.

Even on the 839 early visit, it's very slow even after the shower.

Once back in my own country, I drop back to 3G data so much quicker.

Shared Lounge, so many flights, it really depends on who wants the next Despite Housewives on their next flight.

RdFltErr Jan 19, 2011 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Asuka (Post 15692342)
Wifi is available in the Sydney NZ Lounge, there are little strips of paper with the password to use at the front desk, they seem to change it every now and again.

Speed can be abit shocking depending on how many people are downloading.

Thanks!

Do you know what the earliest time you're allowed to arrive is? Like, can I arrive 4 hours prior to my flight?

Asuka Jan 19, 2011 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by RdFltErr (Post 15692420)
Do you know what the earliest time you're allowed to arrive is? Like, can I arrive 4 hours prior to my flight?

3 hours in Melbourne, don't know about Sydney, I get an easy update phone call (when it's not AWOL) when they open the counter computers.

If you have carry on only, you could see which counters they will be using, go to the service desk and ask them.

Else you might be better to find a Cafe with free wifi in the city area (very common) and wait it out. Mc Donalds has free wifi, but often only 256K speeds.

docbert Jan 19, 2011 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by Asuka (Post 15692342)
The main Access Point (for those Technical) is located directly after you walk in, near the common access computer, it is out in open, near the sign in book, you can see the flashing lights, if it's going mad or hard on, it's going to be slow.

There's a second one on the table in up near where the toilets are. Not sure if each one does a different SSID, or if they both do both SSIDs.

If performance is bad, sit up the end near the SQ lounge and you can pickup their wifi which is normally much faster (due mainly to different flight times more than anything I think)

Originally Posted by RdFltErr (Post 15692420)

3 hours if you've got luggage. Without luggage (or with luggage being interlined from another flight) you can check-in any time that the check-in counters are open, which is basically 3 hours before the first UA flight of the day.

Asuka Jan 20, 2011 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by docbert (Post 15695284)
There's a second one on the table in up near where the toilets are. Not sure if each one does a different SSID, or if they both do both SSIDs.

Need to find that one, I often only get 50% while watching the TV outside the showers/bathrooms

They use to do 2 SSID's, but haven't really cared to look much, as long as it works.

While in Australia I just turn my phone into an AP normally.

Digitalgodess Mar 30, 2011 4:09 am

If you are again in Sydney International and looking for a place to hang pre-flight there are a few relaxed places that you can recharge your laptop or mobile phone with at a nice comfy table, get a decent coffee and enjoy free wi-fi. If on Air NZ and near Gates H, try Dankst Street Depot. Sit on the banquette side as there are wall sockets for power.

If you are near the A-C check in counters (United in the afternoons) Montreux Jazz Cafe (prolific for it's exclusive vintage Montreux Jazz Festival footage in Switzerland on big screens) also has free wi-fi, places to charge, and have a full menu. These are both pre-customs.

After Customs, Bambini Wine Room, again, sit in the banquettes (which have built in speakers for an atmosphere inside an atmosphere and a bit of a nice surprise) is an elegant refuge -- the seats are red and and not easy to miss). As a rediculously frequent flyer, I feel airport lounges are over-rated (crappy food, no service once you are beyond check-point charlie, and no real vibe.) There are a few nice alternatives in Sydney International Airport these days.

Hope this helps!

Latitudes Jun 26, 2012 9:37 pm

Annie is working the check-in area at SYD today and wants me to say a big 'Hello' to all of her FlyerTalk friends. She also wants to thank you all very much. :)

psterman Sep 23, 2012 10:27 am

SYD Lounge Access Question

A question for folks who might know:

Am flying UA First from LAX-SYD, with an eight-hour layover before going onto AKL on NZ Business. Since I may lose my *G status for 2013, can we still access the NZ lounge in SYD, since we will be getting off UA First and transferring to NZ Business?

Thank you.

flyerbjorn Sep 23, 2012 11:22 am

Originally Posted by psterman (Post 19369114)
A question for folks who might know:

Am flying UA First from LAX-SYD, with an eight-hour layover before going onto AKL on NZ Business. Since I may lose my *G status for 2013, can we still access the NZ lounge in SYD, since we will be getting off UA First and transferring to NZ Business?

Thank you.

You should have no problem. As a "same day first class passenger", you should get all the lounge access you want. This also applies the day before and after if you're travelling across date lines.

NZ C may also grant you access to the SYD NZ lounge.

Note that you won't have guest privileges. I flew UA C a few weeks ago and the NZ SYD lounge wouldn't let me bring in my wife, who was in Y.