Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Lounge Access in SYD" Thread [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Lounge Access in SYD" Thread [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2008, 5:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
Originally Posted by yourfather
just as an addendum to your story,

you've probably been here (to Aus) before, you may want to consider that we are in a big drought, and the water here is much different to that in America, it has a strange effect on the skin - you may find your skin getting more oily.
I live in SYD too at the moment. You're kidding of course (?).

CA's not in a big drought, though...

More oily? Water's water. Perhaps that's just your skin.
__________________________________________________ _________________

And for the OP, just go to the Vigin Bue Lounge, AUD35 or, if you have a Priority Pass, free. Very nice indeed.

Last edited by Grace B; Jul 6, 2008 at 5:24 am
Old Jul 6, 2008, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by Grace B
I live in SYD too at the moment. You're kidding of course (?).

CA's not in a big drought, though...

More oily? Water's water. Perhaps that's just your skin.
__________________________________________________ _________________

And for the OP, just go to the Vigin Bue Lounge, AUD35 or, if you have a Priority Pass, free. Very nice indeed.
Water isn't water. It's different here to US, anywhere else.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by yourfather
just as an addendum to your story,

you've probably been here (to Aus) before, you may want to consider that we are in a big drought, and the water here is much different to that in America, it has a strange effect on the skin - you may find your skin getting more oily.
It is true.

I haven't had a government shower permit since April.

We are all getting by just fine tho.

Glen
Old Jul 6, 2008, 11:52 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by onepassaddict
Thanks Docbert! Any particular location that would make sense to use transiting from UA int'l arrivals to Qantas domestic?
According to www.sydneyairport.com.au, in the international terminal they are :
# Northern end - behind Check-in Counter B
# Southern end - behind Check-in Counter K

Departures is the level above arrivals, so you'll need to go through immigration/customs/etc, up to departures and the showers, then back down to arrivals to the Qantas bus between terminals.

Terminal map is here. UA flight almost always arrive through Arrivals C/D (right hand side arrivals area).
Old Jul 7, 2008, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by J.Edward
One of the best places I've found for a shower is the NZ lounge - but if you're continuing on QF domestically I do not know if you'll be able to access it.
I highly recommend the NZ showers as well (assuming you could get admitted to the NZ lounge). The rooms are quite spacious, with lots of counter space, hooks, etc. ^

I also used the EK showers at SYD - very clean but not quite as nice. Of course, the food spread in the lounge more than compensated

Wish we had these kind of lounges in the US
Old Jul 7, 2008, 3:09 am

I believe the public showers have had a refubishment (along with the restrooms)... Seemed so when I was last at SYD...

I used to use them "BLA"... (Before Lounge Access...).. and yes, you do need to have everything with you....
Old Jul 7, 2008, 2:35 pm

Virgin Lounge

I connected through SYD late Oct '07 and had a similar situation. The Virgin Lounge (The Lounge) has 1 day passes - I think it was $30. They offer showers including towels. Also, you're welcome to the complimentary breakfast and beverages. After the 14 hour flight over (well, F made it pleasant...) the shower and food was quite welcome.

And, since it's through security it's a quick jaunt to the departure gates.

Enjoy.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 10:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jhallday
And, since it's through security it's a quick jaunt to the departure gates.
Through security, but in the wrong terminal for the OP.

The Virgin lounge is in Terminal 2, the OP's flight to ADL would leave from Terminal 3.

Thankfully SYD still allows anyone through security in T2/T3 (even if not departing from that terminal, or at all!), and it's only a few hundred metre walk between then, but it does require going through security again.
Old May 13, 2009, 6:59 pm

Programs: The usual for over 7 Million paid miles flown to date... My first paid flight was on a DC3.
What Lounge in Sydney for UA Business Class Pax?

I have 0 Elite status with UA or *Alliance airlines. However, I fly from the US to Australia often on QF or from Japan on JAL and hold permanent AA Platinum status with almost 5 million miles flown with AA and oneWorld carriers.

A few years ago I gave UA's Business Class a try by flying LAX/SYD/return and sat in a decrepit old seat in the Upper Deck. The service was OK and the flight was on time, but the seat was uncomfortable for such a long flight and the Red Carpet Lounge in Sydney was on its' last legs and I understand that it has since closed.

I'm going to give UA another try and have booked one of the new Bus. Class rear-facing seats on the Main Deck, SFO-SYD in 07H and SYD-LAX in 07B. I'll certainly be invited to use the RC Lounge at SFO... What lounge will be offered in SYD at check-in? Thanks.

Old May 13, 2009, 7:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Koru Club. And in SFO, skip the RCC and use the Silver Kris lounge if it's open.
Old May 13, 2009, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
I never went to the old RCC in SYD, but the Koru Club is great. There's a nice lunch buffet with free drinks. Comfortable seating and free internet.

Best of all, the NZ lounge has our favorite UA employee, Annie:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...australia.html

I think you can access the Thai lounge as well. It's next door, but I've never bothered.
Old May 13, 2009, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by prspad

I'm going to give UA another try and have booked one of the new Bus. Class rear-facing seats on the Main Deck, SFO-SYD in 07H and SYD-LAX in 07B.
Nice of you to give UA another chance! I certainly hope they don't do a last minute equipment swap to the old config -- not saying it's at all likely, but it does happen, though maybe not on this route.

The Koru Club is where to be in SYD. UA has a rep in the club much of the time.
Old May 13, 2009, 8:02 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Hilton Gold, Delta Diamond, Hertz Presidents, AA Gold
+1 for Koru Club. One of the best *A lounges in the system IMO.
Old May 13, 2009, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by nycguy
+1 for Koru Club. One of the best *A lounges in the system IMO.
+1. 42 Below Vodka, NZ Sauvignon Blanc, good food options, comfortable seating, Annie, good view of airport operations, WIFI, ... ^
Old May 13, 2009, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH Oil & Energy Club
I just did a trip to SYD in C (May-5 and return May-11), upper deck on the outbound and lower deck on the return... the seats were comfy and the service was good, no complaints. When we landed in SYD they told everyone to stay in there seat b/c someone reported a sore throat and they didn't know what the australians wanted to do with the person once they opened the door, turned out it was just a few minutes wait before they let us all leave...

+1 for the Koru Club... I got to the airport early as I wanted to try the lounge out and maybe the SQ one but the check in counters in SYD only open up 3 hours before the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.