Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Lounge Access in SYD" Thread [Merged]

Consolidated "Lounge Access in SYD" Thread [Merged]

 
Old Feb 19, 08, 11:06 am
  #151  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: SJC
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 1,149
Originally Posted by bseller View Post
No, your options will be limited to SQ or NZ.
NZ is your better bet
...
Koru is better anyway - have a great trip!
^^^^
Originally Posted by bseller View Post
- the SQ staff "know" that C/F BP holders (and quite possibly *G pax) have access to their lounge, but they don't make it easy to gain said access.
I had no trouble getting in -- and no trouble walking right back out again after seeing it was tiny, full of people, worse food. The view in Koru is much better, the atmosphere is much better, easy access to showers and power and views and booze... in fact it's one of my favorite lounges anywhere.
jd2000 is offline  
Old Feb 19, 08, 1:05 pm
  #152  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: SPI
Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Posts: 18,145
Originally Posted by jd2000 View Post
I had no trouble getting in
I had only "minor" trouble but I know friends/colleagues who's experiences are substantially different than this.
Originally Posted by jd2000 View Post
It was tiny, full of people, worse food.
When I was there the F side was empty, small, and had a modest selection of hot food.
Originally Posted by jd2000 View Post
The view in Koru is much better, the atmosphere is much better, easy access to showers and power and views and booze... in fact it's one of my favorite lounges anywhere.
The Koru is, IMO, without doubt, better than the SKL and is a very very nice lounge. The food selection is amongst the best anywhere.

Best, Dave
bseller is offline  
Old Feb 19, 08, 1:20 pm
  #153  
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 17,569
Originally Posted by bseller View Post
I had only "minor" trouble but I know friends/colleagues who's experiences are substantially different than this.
I had a difficult time and was hassled getting in on my F ticket a few months ago.
iluv2fly is offline  
Old Feb 19, 08, 1:25 pm
  #154  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: SPI
Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Posts: 18,145
Originally Posted by iluv2fly View Post
I had a difficult time and was hassled getting in on my F ticket a few months ago.
My point, precisely!
Best, Dave
bseller is offline  
Old Feb 19, 08, 2:55 pm
  #155  
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: KRK / ORD
Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Posts: 12,496
Originally Posted by iluv2fly View Post
Well, I was able to experience the last day of the RCC on Monday 18 Feb in SYD.

No fanfare. Annie was there and I took a few pix of her in the lounge. She couldn't stop hugging me - it seemed like she was leaving rather than just relocating.
You got the photos?
jason8612 is offline  
Old Feb 19, 08, 3:15 pm
  #156  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 17,769
Originally Posted by jason8612 View Post
You got the photos?
Please, god, no.
BenjaminNYC is offline  
Old Mar 3, 08, 11:01 pm
  #157  
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: SYD
Posts: 2,902
Just wanted to mention something. I wanted to access the NZ club in SYD a couple of weeks back. We were a group of 4. 2 in C, 1 of which was a 1P. Karen (i think was her name) was there, and she insisted that 1P/*Gs are not allowed to have guests any more. But she let us in as an exception (which was nice of her since even had she not made this rule up, we were 1 passenger over). Afterwards i approached the desk to get clarification, since allowing 1 guess is official *A policy, and i had brought guests into numerous *A lounges throughout the past few months all over the world and i'd never come across it. Eventually she relented and said that they're still trying to get clarification on the guest policy for UA flyers in the NZ lounge.

Is UA trying to avoid having to pay for guests of its flyers now that the RCC has closed? I'm not impressed.

goodo
goodo is offline  
Old Mar 4, 08, 1:11 am
  #158  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Sunny SYDNEY!
Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Posts: 32,301
We were in NZ club SYD a couple weeks back.

REALLY crowded which was a sign of things to come I'll bet.

They had ripped out all those stupid little stool island things out of the entry hall area leaving exposed data cables sliced off at tile level.

Told me the were working on expanding club into the long defunct "First" area.

The greeter was now in club area proper. Told us to look "at the screen" for the UA boarding details.

"Looked at the screen" 15 mins later, which clearly had not changed for many hours so asked at podium, to be lectured that UA were boarding and it was up to them to tell us.

Mentioned the dead screen we'd been told to consult, and got a "Oh yeah they are hopeless" comment.
ozstamps is offline  
Old Mar 4, 08, 1:16 am
  #159  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Sunny SYDNEY!
Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Posts: 32,301
Originally Posted by goodo View Post

Afterwards i approached the desk to get clarification, since allowing 1 guess is official *A policy, and i had brought guests into numerous *A lounges throughout the past few months all over the world and i'd never come across it.

How weird.

We were in FRA a couple weeks back and both entered the Senator lounge and handed over 2 x 1K cards which looked identical to ME.

The eagle eyed matron pointed out mine had expired. I pointed out it was an old card, the BP had 1K on it, but she was not interested.

However she agreed Margo's was fine and said she could invite me as her "guest".
ozstamps is offline  
Old Mar 4, 08, 1:30 am
  #160  
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: SYD
Posts: 2,902
Originally Posted by ozstamps View Post
We were in NZ club SYD a couple weeks back.

REALLY crowded which was a sign of things to come I'll bet.

They had ripped out all those stupid little stool island things out of the entry hall area leaving exposed data cables sliced off at tile level.

Told me the were working on expanding club into the long defunct "First" area.

The greeter was now in club area proper. Told us to look "at the screen" for the UA boarding details.

"Looked at the screen" 15 mins later, which clearly had not changed for many hours so asked at podium, to be lectured that UA were boarding and it was up to them to tell us.

Mentioned the dead screen we'd been told to consult, and got a "Oh yeah they are hopeless" comment.
Pretty much what i found. It wasn't overpacked, but pretty full. Greeter now in main club area, so if you're flying UA they send you over to the UA agent.

The far right area of the lounge was quite empty, but i couldn't find a power plug that worked so had to move to the main part of the lounge. It's like it's turning into a RCC.

goodo
goodo is offline  
Old Mar 4, 08, 1:31 am
  #161  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: UK/Australia
Programs: BAEC Gold, UA2MM, WY Gold, QF Gold
Posts: 2,109
Originally Posted by ozstamps View Post
We were in NZ club SYD a couple weeks back.

REALLY crowded which was a sign of things to come I'll bet.

They had ripped out all those stupid little stool island things out of the entry hall area leaving exposed data cables sliced off at tile level.

Told me the were working on expanding club into the long defunct "First" area.

The greeter was now in club area proper. Told us to look "at the screen" for the UA boarding details.

"Looked at the screen" 15 mins later, which clearly had not changed for many hours so asked at podium, to be lectured that UA were boarding and it was up to them to tell us.

Mentioned the dead screen we'd been told to consult, and got a "Oh yeah they are hopeless" comment.
Quel surprise!

Seems that all the jolly campers are not entirely happy at the moment.

Remind me to avoid the NZ lounge at SYD for the time being. It's a shame it had to come to this.
Grace B is offline  
Old Mar 4, 08, 1:34 am
  #162  
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: SYD
Posts: 2,902
Originally Posted by Grace B View Post
Quel surprise!

Seems that all the jolly campers are not entirely happy at the moment.

Remind me to avoid the NZ lounge at SYD for the time being. It's a shame it had to come to this.
I wouldn't go that far. Where else will you go?
goodo is offline  
Old Mar 4, 08, 2:09 am
  #163  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Milwaukee, Wi. USA
Posts: 673
Sydney Lounge

The greeter at the Air New Zealand Koru Lounge sends United passengers over to the United ticket agent, who is actually quite competent and quite helpful.

The lounge is better than anything United has in the U.S. Showers are food are first rate. Wine selection good.

LegalEagle is offline  
Old Mar 4, 08, 4:09 am
  #164  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: UK/Australia
Programs: BAEC Gold, UA2MM, WY Gold, QF Gold
Posts: 2,109
Originally Posted by goodo View Post
I wouldn't go that far. Where else will you go?

SQ?
Grace B is offline  
Old Mar 4, 08, 5:33 am
  #165  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Greater DC
Programs: UA plus
Posts: 12,940
is there now an area of the NZ lounge for the F passengers or is the concept of a separate area for a IFL gone with the move to Koru?
GoingAway is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: