FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Consolidated "Lounge Access in SYD" Thread [Merged] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/777306-consolidated-lounge-access-syd-thread-merged.html)

bseller Feb 19, 2008 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Karen2 (Post 9274122)
I am flying Feb 26. Can I choose anyway?

No, your options will be limited to SQ or NZ.
NZ is your better bet - the SQ staff "know" that C/F BP holders (and quite possibly *G pax) have access to their lounge, but they don't make it easy to gain said access.
Koru is better anyway - have a great trip!
Dave

winovin Feb 19, 2008 7:37 am

Originally Posted by ntddevsys (Post 9274737)
Add WLG to that list.

Okay its international flights only extend so far as Australia but still...

Guess what WLG and SYD have in common??

Both owned by Macquarie Bank!

jd2000 Feb 19, 2008 10:06 am

Originally Posted by bseller (Post 9275556)
No, your options will be limited to SQ or NZ.
NZ is your better bet
Koru is better anyway - have a great trip!

^^^^

Originally Posted by bseller (Post 9275556)
- the SQ staff "know" that C/F BP holders (and quite possibly *G pax) have access to their lounge, but they don't make it easy to gain said access.

I had no trouble getting in -- and no trouble walking right back out again after seeing it was tiny, full of people, worse food. The view in Koru is much better, the atmosphere is much better, easy access to showers and power and views and booze... in fact it's one of my favorite lounges anywhere.

bseller Feb 19, 2008 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by jd2000 (Post 9276653)
I had no trouble getting in

I had only "minor" trouble but I know friends/colleagues who's experiences are substantially different than this.

It was tiny, full of people, worse food.

When I was there the F side was empty, small, and had a modest selection of hot food.

The view in Koru is much better, the atmosphere is much better, easy access to showers and power and views and booze... in fact it's one of my favorite lounges anywhere.

The Koru is, IMO, without doubt, better than the SKL and is a very very nice lounge. The food selection is amongst the best anywhere.

Best, Dave

iluv2fly Feb 19, 2008 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by bseller (Post 9277437)
I had only "minor" trouble but I know friends/colleagues who's experiences are substantially different than this.

I had a difficult time and was hassled getting in on my F ticket a few months ago.

bseller Feb 19, 2008 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by iluv2fly (Post 9277515)
I had a difficult time and was hassled getting in on my F ticket a few months ago.

My point, precisely! ;) :D
Best, Dave

jason8612 Feb 19, 2008 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by iluv2fly (Post 9274266)
Well, I was able to experience the last day of the RCC on Monday 18 Feb in SYD.

No fanfare. Annie was there and I took a few pix of her in the lounge. She couldn't stop hugging me - it seemed like she was leaving rather than just relocating.

You got the photos?

BenjaminNYC Feb 19, 2008 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by jason8612 (Post 9278180)
You got the photos?

:eek: Please, god, no. :eek:

goodo Mar 3, 2008 10:01 pm

Just wanted to mention something. I wanted to access the NZ club in SYD a couple of weeks back. We were a group of 4. 2 in C, 1 of which was a 1P. Karen (i think was her name) was there, and she insisted that 1P/*Gs are not allowed to have guests any more. But she let us in as an exception (which was nice of her since even had she not made this rule up, we were 1 passenger over). Afterwards i approached the desk to get clarification, since allowing 1 guess is official *A policy, and i had brought guests into numerous *A lounges throughout the past few months all over the world and i'd never come across it. Eventually she relented and said that they're still trying to get clarification on the guest policy for UA flyers in the NZ lounge.

Is UA trying to avoid having to pay for guests of its flyers now that the RCC has closed? I'm not impressed.

goodo

ozstamps Mar 4, 2008 12:11 am

We were in NZ club SYD a couple weeks back.

REALLY crowded which was a sign of things to come I'll bet.

They had ripped out all those stupid little stool island things out of the entry hall area leaving exposed data cables sliced off at tile level.

Told me the were working on expanding club into the long defunct "First" area.

The greeter was now in club area proper. Told us to look "at the screen" for the UA boarding details.

"Looked at the screen" 15 mins later, which clearly had not changed for many hours so asked at podium, to be lectured that UA were boarding and it was up to them to tell us.

Mentioned the dead screen we'd been told to consult, and got a "Oh yeah they are hopeless" comment. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ozstamps Mar 4, 2008 12:16 am

Originally Posted by goodo (Post 9353223)

Afterwards i approached the desk to get clarification, since allowing 1 guess is official *A policy, and i had brought guests into numerous *A lounges throughout the past few months all over the world and i'd never come across it.

How weird.

We were in FRA a couple weeks back and both entered the Senator lounge and handed over 2 x 1K cards which looked identical to ME.

The eagle eyed matron pointed out mine had expired. I pointed out it was an old card, the BP had 1K on it, but she was not interested.

However she agreed Margo's was fine and said she could invite me as her "guest". :D

goodo Mar 4, 2008 12:30 am

Originally Posted by ozstamps (Post 9353648)

They had ripped out all those stupid little stool island things out of the entry hall area leaving exposed data cables sliced off at tile level.

The greeter was now in club area proper. Told us to look "at the screen" for the UA boarding details.

"Looked at the screen" 15 mins later, which clearly had not changed for many hours so asked at podium, to be lectured that UA were boarding and it was up to them to tell us.

Mentioned the dead screen we'd been told to consult, and got a "Oh yeah they are hopeless" comment. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Pretty much what i found. It wasn't overpacked, but pretty full. Greeter now in main club area, so if you're flying UA they send you over to the UA agent.

The far right area of the lounge was quite empty, but i couldn't find a power plug that worked so had to move to the main part of the lounge. It's like it's turning into a RCC.

goodo

Grace B Mar 4, 2008 12:31 am

Originally Posted by ozstamps (Post 9353648)

Quel surprise!

Seems that all the jolly campers are not entirely happy at the moment.

Remind me to avoid the NZ lounge at SYD for the time being. It's a shame it had to come to this.

goodo Mar 4, 2008 12:34 am

Originally Posted by Grace B (Post 9353697)
Quel surprise!

Seems that all the jolly campers are not entirely happy at the moment.

Remind me to avoid the NZ lounge at SYD for the time being. It's a shame it had to come to this.

I wouldn't go that far. Where else will you go?

LegalEagle Mar 4, 2008 1:09 am

Sydney Lounge

The greeter at the Air New Zealand Koru Lounge sends United passengers over to the United ticket agent, who is actually quite competent and quite helpful.

The lounge is better than anything United has in the U.S. Showers are food are first rate. Wine selection good.

:)