Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Best time to change from Chase Signature Visa to Platinum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2008, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold (1MM), AS MVP

I've done the research, paid attention to the posts, and I believe I fully understand what the differences are (annual fee, EQM/RDM earning, etc.). Since I knew by mid-2007 I didn't need the EQM to qualify for 2008 1K, I held off to apply for the change until 2008.

So I figured the first of the year would be the right time to upgrade to Platinum, so I get a full year's worth of benefits, and all the EQMs in the year I need it. Am I correct in this thinking?

My annual fee for the Signature card just posted on 1/1/08 - will they charge me an additional $80 for the year? I'm not sure if I will get the whole $140 waived, as I've only been 1K for two years and had the card for about three.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
It really all depends on your situation. If you think you'll need the EQM, then you could either apply now and make the most of the benefits, or you could wait until November to see if you even need it, albeit at that point you'll likely only be able to get the 5K sign-up bonus (unless you buy $5K of tickets during November/December).

I don't think they will waive the full $140 because you're signing up for the card now... but you never know, some people who "shouldn't" (according to Chase policy) have qualified for the full waiver still received it.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA1P MM, Delta, AA, IC Royal Ambassador, Starwood Gold
BTW, and slightly off track, I just spotted the annual $140 fee on my upcoming electronic statement and called Chase to inquire. Was told the 1K waiver is not automatic, but has to be requested by the card holder each year. Live and learn.

Dave
Old Jan 8, 2008, 9:43 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
When to switch??

The Platinum card offers
-- 20,000 bonus miles after your first purchase
-- 2 miles per $1 spent on groceries, dining, gas at the pump and home improvement purchases
-- 2 miles per $1 spent on United and Star Alliance purchases
-- 1 mile per $1 spent on all other purchases
-- 5,000 EQM at sign up
-- EQMs for purchases at united.com (up to 5,000 EQM)
-- 5,000 EQM bonus for $35K in a calendar year

So, the longer one waits, one will receive less
-- double RDMs
-- EQMs for united.com purchases
and have
-- less time to make the $35K spending bonus

The question is does any of the above matter to you?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 8, 2008 at 9:46 pm Reason: formatting
Old Jan 8, 2008, 10:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
Follow-Up Questions

I just called the following application phone # (1-800-613-7169) and was told the following:

1) As a prior cardholder of a non-platinum UA MP Visa card, I would NOT be eligible for a 20,000 mile bonus on the platinum card
2) The $140 annual fee on the platinum card would NOT be waived for 1k's

Can you confirm this? What is the best phone number to apply? My impressions from this forum and from prior phone calls with CHASE was that I would be eligible for the 20,000 mile bonus as long as I had not previously had a Platinum card and that the $140 fee would be waived for 1k's.

Thanks for your input.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K Marriott T.E. Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DarkHelmetII
...What is the best phone number to apply?
None. Your best bet is to submit your request online. I am not sure of the difference, but the service from the website is great, and the answer I receive on the 1K annual fee credit request is "It's been taken care of Mr FF_PH"
Old Jan 8, 2008, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by DarkHelmetII
I just called the following application phone # (1-800-613-7169) and was told the following:

1) As a prior cardholder of a non-platinum UA MP Visa card, I would NOT be eligible for a 20,000 mile bonus on the platinum card
2) The $140 annual fee on the platinum card would NOT be waived for 1k's

Can you confirm this?

Re #1: My experience from some time ago and my wife's experience from late last year both are contrary to this. We both had non-platinum US MP Visa cards and both received the 20,000 sign-up bonus when we subsequently obtained the platinum card.
Re #2: As a 1K my entire annual fee was waived, but IIRC there is a thread explaining that this benefit was grandfathered in. That is, I think you only qualify for a complete waiver if you originally obtained the plat card some time ago, but not if you just got it recently. But I'm not certain.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 11:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
Thank you for the quick response. How do I submit requests online? Through 1k website? Or do you mean through to Chase to process the applicaton? Naturally I'd prefer not to submit an application until I have some answers.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by FF_Parrothead
None. Your best bet is to submit your request online. I am not sure of the difference, but the service from the website is great, and the answer I receive on the 1K annual fee credit request is "It's been taken care of Mr FF_PH"
Old Jan 8, 2008, 11:54 pm

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Re #1: My experience from some time ago and my wife's experience from late last year both are contrary to this. We both had non-platinum US MP Visa cards and both received the 20,000 sign-up bonus when we subsequently obtained the platinum card.
I think that's because, just as you said, some time ago you could cancel a MP Visa, reapply and get the initial bonus RDMs for opening a new account all over again. Chase finally wised up and stopped giving the bonus RDMs for anyone who previously held a MP Visa card (at any level). I you still earn the EQMs though (even for just upgrading from a standard MP Visa).

Question: For NEW Visa Platinum MP accounts, don't they discount the annual fee by $60 for 1Ks (i.e. the amount they waive for regular MP Visa 1K cardholders)?
Old Jan 9, 2008, 1:03 am

Originally Posted by John26
Chase finally wised up and stopped giving the bonus RDMs for anyone who previously held a MP Visa card (at any level).
It's unclear whether this "resets" after a year or whatever of not being a cardholder. Some people have reported receiving the miles, IIRC.

Originally Posted by John26
Question: For NEW Visa Platinum MP accounts, don't they discount the annual fee by $60 for 1Ks (i.e. the amount they waive for regular MP Visa 1K cardholders)?
Yes, 1K members get a $60 discount on any of the cards.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Gold (1MM), AS MVP
Thanks all for the input, I guess the situation is as simple as I'd hoped - I will need the EQM this year (and the RDM too, if that indeed comes through). I just hope that I'm able to book most of my travel on united.com. Does anyone know if UnitedVacations.com counts? The RDM offer seems to give more leeway than the EQM offer.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by GimmeLegRoom
Does anyone know if UnitedVacations.com counts?
It does not. UnitedVacations is only a 3rd-party travel agency that just happens to jointly market with UA.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 2:04 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Originally Posted by GimmeLegRoom
Thanks all for the input, I guess the situation is as simple as I'd hoped - I will need the EQM this year (and the RDM too, if that indeed comes through). I just hope that I'm able to book most of my travel on united.com. Does anyone know if UnitedVacations.com counts? The RDM offer seems to give more leeway than the EQM offer.
Always remember Chase waives the full $140 United Platinum Visa card fee for 1ks for accounts opened before Sept 1, 2006. The best way to achieve this is to send a message through the Chase private message system on the web site.

Last edited by chitownflyer; Jan 9, 2008 at 2:13 pm
Old Jan 9, 2008, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by cepheid
It's unclear whether this "resets" after a year or whatever of not being a cardholder. Some people have reported receiving the miles, IIRC.
This was my wife's experience in November 2007. She'd canceled her non-platinum MP visa card at some point, maybe two or three years ago. Then when she applied for and got the platinum card she also received the 20,000 RDM sign-up bonus.

Ironically, we shelled out the $140 and signed her up for the platinum so she would get the 5,000 EQMs necessary to bump her up from 2P to 1P before the end of 2007, but didn't expect to get the 20,000 RDMs. Then it turned out that a last minute business trip got her enough EQMs to make 1P anyway, rendering the 5,000 EQM bonus meaningless. But the 20,000 RDMs made it at least somewhat worthwhile.

Mileage Plus giveth, and Mileage Plus taketh away.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K*MM, AA PP
I called two days ago about switching my card to Platinum (I'm in the same position as the OP, not needing EQM's last year but probably will need them this year).

I was told that the 5K EQM on "sign-up or switch" promotion ended November 30th and I wouldn't get them if I switched.

I said thanks no thanks, but now I wonder if I should call again... the person did check with someone, but still, they could be wrong...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.