Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA 900 SFO-FRA, Dec 26 op-up frienzy

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2007, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K / 1MM, Bonvoy Platinum, Amex Platinum
I was op-upped about this time last year on SFO-NRT and SIN-NRT. Also from SFO-JFK this summer and this November from SFO-YVR. All as a 1P. We'll see what happens next year as a 1k, but so far I've been using instruments...

Never ever happened IAD-EZE / vice-versa, and very rarely in Europe.. but Asia seems a bit easier.

ETA: Actually I take back the SFO-YVR part. I just remembered that I used 500-milers for that one.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 1:12 am

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
i just got bumped up to first on the IAD-ZRH 767..my seat (7C) was sold twice so i got to 2B. it was ok i guess, but i can't wait till the new config planes get more into service. talked to the F cabin FA and he said it was cancelled again, something about APU issues that keep recurring. oh well.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 1:17 am

Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Platium, SPG
Originally Posted by climmy
We were lucky and got first from our paid biz tickets. Nice way to start vacation.
No one else noticed that OP went on vacation, probably with Mrs. OP or OP's SO and his first thought upon arriving is to get onto FT and discuss his op-up?
Old Dec 28, 2007, 1:30 am

Programs: UAL 1P,HH D, SPG GP, FT Newbie!
Originally Posted by HaeMaker
No one else noticed that OP went on vacation, probably with Mrs. OP or OP's SO and his first thought upon arriving is to get onto FT and discuss his op-up?
Erm....I probably would have done the same thing, so I didn't notice.
Old Dec 28, 2007, 2:04 am

And that is unusual..... how??? ()
Old Dec 28, 2007, 6:01 am

Programs: UA 1K MM; Bonvoy Titanium; most other FF programs...
Difference between UA and LH on Op-Ups

I just got off LH#453 LAX-MUC (depart 12/27) and they were oversold in the back, and offering 3 - 400 euro for Y passengers to take the next flight. This is in spite of the fact that C and F had plenty of seats available (I used an SWU to go from C-F). It just goes to show you that LH holds the value of their C & F service dear, and would rather they pay off some Y pax then upgrade them for free. Personally, I think it is courageous of them, but I know others will think it ridiculous.

Last edited by FoxFlyer; Dec 28, 2007 at 6:08 am
Old Jan 9, 2008, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1mm Gold. Former 1K and GS.
Originally Posted by HaeMaker
That's pretty good. Actually, my post was on a 6 hour layover in FRA while Mrs. Climmy slept at the lounge.
Old Jan 9, 2008, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1mm Gold. Former 1K and GS.
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Out of curiosity, what makes you say they didn't go by status/fare paid? Congrats on the op-up though, that's a long flight!
There just didn't seem to be the usual orderly process at the last minute. Plus, at the time I was only 2P. I found it hard to beleive there weren't any more 1K's, 1P's, or UGS travelers in C they could have upped first and left us in our biz seats. Add to that I was on a z-fare.

I'm unsure exactly why they would have done it this way. But before you read too much into it, it indeed was sheer pandemonium at the gate prior to departure. I beleive they were just trying to get the flight out on time. Every seat was full and there must have been 20 ups at least. Load checking the day before, C was WIDE OPEN. I think they just picked whoever got to the counter first.

Conversely, the return flight on Monday was oversold again. More op-ups. However, this time I was witness to them actively selecting ONLY UGS travelers this time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.