Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Is there a order for United FSs to not smile and say please and thank you?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2010, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Just returned from CAE-IAD-NRT-CHI. The crews on the both UAL flights IAD-NRT/return were so incredibly unfriendly. No greeting (when I got on the pane, all I got was a "seat?" barked at me), no smiles, please, thank you. I also got barked at for briefly opening my window shade because I wanted to look outside.

Does United forbid its FAs to be friendly now? Is it the merger? Is it the fact that they were all above 50 and are sick and tired of their job? It used to be like that on US Air, but it has now reached the same level on United. Even in business class.

My ANA flights within Japan were such a contrast! The planes were clean, the seats worked, smiling faces, blankets offered on multiple occastions, drinks served with a smile and a domo arigato.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by drjochen
I also got barked at for briefly opening my window shade because I wanted to look outside.
There are no rules on the window being open/closed. Ignore barking.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by dsquared37
There are no rules on the window being open/closed. Ignore barking.
+1

I kept my window open the entire time I was on SFO-SYD and SYD-SFO, two weeks ago.. Not a word from the FAs.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OMNIArchist, OMNIArchy!, OMNIIDGAS

Does United forbid its FAs to be friendly now? Is it the merger? Is it the fact that they were all above 50 and are sick and tired of their job? It used to be like that on US Air, but it has now reached the same level on United.
No, no, ask them. Did you smile at them, did you set a good tone? I've met very few people that continue to scowl when you are friendly and smile at them.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 6:11 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
They're just making sure they keep their #2 rating!!!

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2010/10...airline-delta/
Old Nov 1, 2010, 6:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Steph3n
I've met very few people that continue to scowl when you are friendly and smile at them.
Same here. Treat them like real people and they'll do the same right back.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

No, no, ask them. Did you smile at them, did you set a good tone? I've met very few people that continue to scowl when you are friendly and smile at them.
I specifically made a point to say "thank you" and "please" every time I interacted with them.

When I opened my shades briefly, she came by after ~ 1 minute and lectured me that I disturb the sleep of other passengers and I need to keep my shade closed during the entire flight. the person next to me was awake and so was the person in fornt of me. We did not argue, since these days they have so much power they can get you removed from the plane and I didn't want to risk that over nothern Canada.... Maybe she was a vampire and couldn't handle sunlight?
Old Nov 1, 2010, 6:36 pm

I specifically made a point to say "thank you" and "please" every time I interacted with them.

When I opened my shades briefly, she came by after ~ 1 minute and lectured me that I disturb the sleep of other passengers and I need to keep my shade closed during the entire flight. the person next to me was awake and so was the person in fornt of me. We did not argue, since these days they have so much power they can get you removed from the plane and I didn't want to risk that over nothern Canada.... Maybe she was a vampire and couldn't handle sunlight?
I think I encountered this same person on NRT-IAD earlier in the year. Same general message, but I dared to open the shades closer to arrival. My response to her: "They're all awake already." Because they were -- folks were sitting up / reading / etc. She scowled, and every time she came back again made a big show out of cupping her hand over her eyes to shade them.

What's the point of having a window seat if you can't open the shade?

What's the point in handing out light masks to customers if you don't expect them to wear them? I always wear mine (a nice suede one from Eva Air's kit) when I try to sleep, as I have no expectation that the lights will stay off just because I've opted to sleep. After all, when going TPAC for every person's usual night-time hours, it's bound to feel like it's 12 hours later / earlier for someone else in the cabin.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 6:39 pm

Programs: United Silver, 0.9MM
I'd probably be miserable too if I had the salary of a UAL FA, and then on top of it had to deal with FC customers being angry because I didn't smile at them when they got on the plane.

No excuse, I'm sure they are supposed to be friendly and smile, but at the same time they might be on hour 25 of work and haven't been home in two weeks, and on top of it make 1/6th of what you make.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 6:41 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Prez; Former UA GS
Question

Perhaps you just had bad luck? I don't feel like this issue is either consistent or exclusive to United. I find service to be hit or miss. I also have very low expectations of air travel (and people in general).

I guess I'm not sure what the point of your post is in the United forum.

Originally Posted by drjochen;

Old Nov 1, 2010, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by agarc
I guess I'm not sure what the point of your post is in the United forum.
I reported an experience with UAL and wanted to see if other posters had similar experiences. I apologize for posting this on this sacred board. I'll make sure it will not happen again.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 7:02 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Originally Posted by robbgrn
I'd probably be miserable too if I had the salary of a UAL FA, and then on top of it had to deal with FC customers being angry because I didn't smile at them when they got on the plane.

No excuse, I'm sure they are supposed to be friendly and smile, but at the same time they might be on hour 25 of work and haven't been home in two weeks, and on top of it make 1/6th of what you make.
Sorry, but this argument doesn't hold much water with me. The FAs CHOOSE this job; they CHOOSE to continue working for UA; they KNOW ahead of time what the job requirements are. There are many people who would love to have the job as a FA (me not being one of them because I couldn't deal with so many of the "crazies" that are flying these days) but really - how hard is it to be polite/civil/nice to somebody when you have a <2 minute interaction with somebody? You don't like your job? Then LEAVE your job. I'm tired of people apologizing for poor behavior by so many FAs. There are some that are great; but through reading the anecdotal information on this board and others, there are some FAs who are truly miserable and take it out on the passengers. Why is this acceptable behavior by some and more importantly, why defend it?
Old Nov 1, 2010, 7:05 pm

Programs: Won Kay
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Same here. Treat them like real people and they'll do the same right back.
It shouldn't be for paying passengers to try and engender a smile and greeting from someone whose job is customer service.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 7:14 pm

Programs: United Silver, 0.9MM
Originally Posted by ldsant
Sorry, but this argument doesn't hold much water with me. The FAs CHOOSE this job; they CHOOSE to continue working for UA; they KNOW ahead of time what the job requirements are
but really - how hard is it to be polite/civil/nice to somebody when you have a <2 minute interaction with somebody? You don't like your job? Then LEAVE your job.
Because the(y) ... <inaccurately quoted and paraphrased comments removed by moderator> don't have a choice. They can't just quit their job because they don't like it, and are forced to continue on. <Comments removed by modertor due to TOS>

There are many people who would love to have the job as a FA
This is a joke right? Talk about proving my point.

Last edited by l etoile; Nov 2, 2010 at 12:51 pm Reason: TOS
Old Nov 1, 2010, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

... The FAs CHOOSE this job; they CHOOSE to continue working for UA; they KNOW ahead of time what the job requirements are. ..
No, when they chose the job, the industry and the job were VERY different. Even now they don't choose to continue to work for UA - most of them simply have no way out. Where can a middle aged woman with no training outside FA go especially in this economy???
The sad reality is that many FAs (on UA or other legacies) are trapped but continue to work while hating it.
(not defending anyone, just stating a reality)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.