Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

LAX-HKG Flight 867 rerouted to Osaka due to runway construction at LAX

Old Dec 10, 07, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Milage Plus 1K. Lots of hotel Gold.

Hi there.

I was on flight UA0867 LAX-HKG (non-stop, but I'm told its not direct ). Before we board, I check WorldMate on my Blackberry, and the flight status shows up as "Rerouted", but the arrival time is 3 hours early. Wha? So I assume its a mistake and board. Once on-board, we sit for about an hour at the gate, then the captain -right in front of me, since I'm in 12B - says "Sorry, folks - we're rerouting this flight to Osaka, Japan to refuel, then onto Hong Kong, so we'll be late coming in, but connecting flights to Vietnam and Singapore will be waiting for us. I'll explain later."

So once airborne, he explains that the runway at LAX that we're supposed to take off of has construction going on, so we need to use a shorter runway, and we were too heavy. His choice was either to kick off 30 passengers, or take off with less fuel. He chose refueling. It took about 45 minutes, and we were on our merry way again.

I slunk in my chair a bit, as three cases in the cargo hold were mine, and weighed at least a couple hundred pounds a piece - work equipment. Oops.

Is this a first time for a rerouting and delay due to take-off runway construction? Why did WorldMate know about the rerouting before we even boarded? It made sense afterwards why my new arrival time was 3 hours early, as the flight had been listed as LAX-Osaka instead of HKG.

Last edited by jello2594; Dec 10, 07 at 3:34 pm
Old Dec 10, 07, 3:32 pm

Well I'd assume that the decision to reroute to Osaka wasn't a last minute decision, since i'm sure that construction didn't "Just start". Makes you wonder why it wasn't more publicised before...maybe so people don't try and switch flights?
Old Dec 10, 07, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Originally Posted by jello2594 View Post
Why did WorldMate know about the rerouting before we even boarded?
Interesting story! About WorldMate, I presume it taps into the same or a similar source information that Flightstats uses. I've tracked flights on Flightstats in which the status is updated within minutes of being changed by operations or dispatchers.
Old Dec 10, 07, 3:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA PremEx-MM
Originally Posted by jello2594 View Post

I slunk in my chair a bit, as three cases in the cargo hold were mine, and weighed at least a couple hundred pounds a piece - work equipment. Oops.
At least the captain didn't call you out by seat number!

I took this flight last month and was surprised at our route - it looked just like LAX-NRT. Then after getting as far as Okinawa we sort of turned a bit more westerly and went past Taipei and into Hong Kong. In the past we've gone a lot farther north and west and overflown a lot of mainland China, approaching HKG from the north.

This was after a very weird departure - we went west from LAX just a tiny bit, then immediately turned straight north and flew right over Topanga Canyon and then past Simi Valley, providing a spectacular view of the Reagan Libaray.
Old Dec 10, 07, 3:57 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Interesting.

25R is the longest of the runways at LAX at 12,091' and has been closed for a few months as they build a new center taxiway between 25L and R. 25L is the new runway that was moved out and made 200' wide earlier this year and is only 1,000' shorter; guess flight conditions (routing, load, weather) all were in alignment to make that needed.
Old Dec 10, 07, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K; Marriott Au; Hyatt Dsc
Truly interesting. Boeing claims TO field length at MGW is around 10500 for ISA standard and 11100 for ISA+18C -- it wasn't THAT warm in LA today...

Does anyone know what the winds were? Does UA have stricter TO field length requirements that the FARs
Old Dec 10, 07, 4:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA PremEx-MM
Maybe it was one of those (one or two) "gas guzzler" 744s UA has that use more fuel than the other ones.
Old Dec 10, 07, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian View Post
Interesting.

25R is the longest of the runways at LAX at 12,091' and has been closed for a few months as they build a new center taxiway between 25L and R. 25L is the new runway that was moved out and made 200' wide earlier this year and is only 1,000' shorter; guess flight conditions (routing, load, weather) all were in alignment to make that needed.
Are you sure 25R has been closed for a few months?

I took off on it just a few weeks ago - LAX-HKG in fact.
Old Dec 10, 07, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian View Post
25R is the longest of the runways at LAX at 12,091' and has been closed for a few months
Took off on 25R a week ago.
Old Dec 10, 07, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
I took this flight last month and was surprised at our route - it looked just like LAX-NRT. Then after getting as far as Okinawa we sort of turned a bit more westerly and went past Taipei and into Hong Kong. In the past we've gone a lot farther north and west and overflown a lot of mainland China, approaching HKG from the north.
IME that's the normal routing from SFO, and LAX would probably not be that different. Can't say I've ever gone over mainland China on the way to or from HKG.
Old Dec 10, 07, 8:39 pm

I am pretty sure 25R has reopened.

Why couldn't they shlep all the way to 24L anyway, like everyone else?
Old Dec 10, 07, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hertz P Circle
25s were reopened a few months ago after being closed for several months. The taxiway is not finished yet, but the runway displacement was done. It was great while 25s were closed since more arrivals were routed to 24R, making for great spotting, almost as good as LHR!
Old Dec 10, 07, 8:55 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
thanks for the update

25R was certainly closed the the last time I flew out of LAX which was about a month ago.
Old Dec 10, 07, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by glex50 View Post
Can't say I've ever gone over mainland China on the way to or from HKG.
You haven't. You can't. Restricted airspace.
Old Dec 10, 07, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by UNITED959 View Post
You haven't. You can't. Restricted airspace.
Flt 895 ORD-HKG flies over China

Search this Thread
Search Engine: