Re-route due to weather; Original EQM/EQS?

Old Dec 14, 07, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by exerda View Post
Guess as soon as the flights post, it will be time to fax MP & call, etc. Only thing that irks me is that this is so close to the end of the year and when I will not have time to fly again, it's going to really be nail-biting wait (and I am naturally impatient). I really don't want to not see them post prior to 12/31 and then have to argue to get them back-dated.
I would just try calling first.

Any trained agent should not have a problem. That being said the last two tickets this happened, the initial responses were "you get credit for what you actually fly only.... but I will make a one time exception" (US) and "you were re-booked on a separate ticket so it can't be done." (LH) With the latter I called back and the agent sounded surprised I was told this originally.
Old Dec 14, 07, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Most MP agents are great. Every once in a while, I get someone who says, "This is a frequent flyer program, nor a frequent buyer program." You can tell that these agents have received call after call, and are a little tired with what they do!
Old Dec 14, 07, 3:10 pm

Programs: UAL 1K 1.3MM till 1/31/2015 Bye Smissek, Delta Plat. Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres. Circle
Actually no, I recently received EQM credit for a flight on Alaska due to UA flight cancellation by calling Mileage plus line. UA had rerouted me on Alaska when they cancelled my flight as they couldn't get me home that day on United metal. They did not require me to fax in Alaska boarding pass.

Originally Posted by formite View Post
As mentioned by LAX-1K, I just called MP and they did the adjustment for me immediately. I guess this will work only if all your flights are on UA metal.
Old Dec 14, 07, 5:26 pm

Programs: UAL 1P,HH D, SPG GP, FT Newbie!
Just called in and got credit for a canceled segment on an MR from earlier this week, EQM's and EQS's - no fuss, no mess - very nice!
Old Dec 17, 07, 10:09 am

Programs: AS MVP, Aegean Blue
1P Desk says no EQM for Involuntary Re-Route--Hot Air?

I was on a very important MR seekign 1K status yesterday: scheduled on TPA-ORD-SAN but weather was very iffy at ORD and rather than miss the connection, I was re-routed on US TPA-LAS-SAN. I have read a lot on here that says when this happens, call and get the "double credit" -- but the agent said that since it was US Airways, my EQM will go towards those flights since I used a MP #. Is he full of hot air? It would be great if I could get the EQM from TPA-ORD-SAN.

Any help or stories that confirm/rebutt this claim?
Old Dec 17, 07, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You mean double credit, like credit for both your US FF account and your UA FF account? If so, you can't "double dip" in this case since they are in the same alliance. However, you should be able to get original routing credit since it was involuntary, assuming you haven't requested credit with US.
Old Dec 17, 07, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Call and try again. People have reported recent success getting just such a credit. In fact, I have been told by three reps today that the original credit can only be made when re-routed via another airline. (i.e. when re-routed on UA, they don't do it, which is an outright lie as I've had it done several times now.)
Old Dec 17, 07, 10:19 am

meaning my BP on the US flights had my MP # and will likely credit to MP but we about 450 EQM less than the TPA-ORD-SAN flights...I think those extra EQM will matter too as Im cutting it REALLy close to get to 1K.

Should I just fax in my UA flights and say to book those to MP vs. my US flights?
Old Dec 17, 07, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by anc-ord772 View Post
I would just try calling first.
I sent an e-mail the day of travel. Got a response today that "Sorry for the problems in your trip, but we cannot accommodate your request. Here's 2k RDM as a goodwill gesture."

I called today, after giving time for all of the segments to post. It took four calls to MP to get it done, and then it was the infamous "one time exception."

The first agent two agents said that I can only get credit for the miles flown, not what is purchased (one almost said verbatim what zrs70 quoted below about "frequent flier not buyer program," and I really had to bite my tongue and say, "Well, I guess you won't be too upset then if my buying frequency drops to 0 with UA." They also made very clear that this is the "new policy" which "took effect this year," and that if I had been re-routed onto another airline, it would be different--but on UA you "get what you fly."

The third claimed the same as the above, and added that had it been a mechanical, I'd have been good, but "we can't control the weather, so we cannot grant your request." I love how they all thanked me for my loyalty, too, when at the same time basically telling me to fly a kite.

Finally, when calling the fourth time, I omitted any mention of the weather and stressed that United rerouted me automatically and that I needed the miles to make 1P and was not flying again this year. I also gave a small white lie and said the CSR I spoke to in DEN told me to call MP and that they'd fix the credit (she said "I think they might do that," not "they will do that.") I hate to do that, but I was tired of calling back.

The guy I spoke to said he'd check with his supervisor and then after several minutes explained that "normally we don't do this," that "you get credit for only what you flew," etc., basically made it sound like it was pulling teeth, but credited the miles while I was on the phone and then congratulated me for making 1P again.

Originally Posted by zrs70 View Post
Most MP agents are great. Every once in a while, I get someone who says, "This is a frequent flyer program, nor a frequent buyer program." You can tell that these agents have received call after call, and are a little tired with what they do!
Yep, and I was fed almost that exact line, too.

What gets me is that UA has not had a problem doing this for me before. Maybe it is indeed a "new policy," since all four agents I spoke to made that claim (plus the e-mail I got), but dealing with MP CS should really not be like a trip to the dentist. I am thinking of sending a postal letter to UA to that effect, given the several occasions this year where I have had to make multiple calls to get a simple issue taken care of.
Old Dec 17, 07, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by kdinino View Post
Should I just fax in my UA flights and say to book those to MP vs. my US flights?
Call MP and call back until you get the right response. I just spoke to four separate MP CSR's, and all four told me that re-routes onto other airlines do allow you to request the original mileage (all four tried to tell me that if it were a re-route on UA, that you couldn't get those same miles). If all four were so consistent in their statement about getting credit for the original routing if rebooked on another airline, it shouldn't be hard to find a CSR willing to take care of it for you.

With a fax, you are at the mercy of refreshing the "mileage summary" page every day or so to see if you get the credit, as they don't call you or e-mail you or anything to let you know, even if they deny it. And don't even think of mailing it in; though you will get a response, it takes forever, and my luck is very hit-or-miss with that option (such as getting denial letters for flights I didn't even request credit for).
Old Dec 17, 07, 10:46 am

Programs: Random acts of kindness and senseless beauty
When I call the 1K desk for this issue, response is mixed. When I call 877-228-1327 which I have listed as customer relations, I always get great results.
Old Dec 17, 07, 10:51 am

Programs: DL: DM / Royal Ambassador /PC:Plat / Hertz:5*
See thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=766369

Same topic / concerns. You should not be able to double dip, but receive original EQM/EQS if rerouted involuntarily.
Old Dec 17, 07, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MPVG
I would wait a couple days (until your miles post) before worrying too much and making a bunch of phone calls. If you really were involed, you stand a good chance of getting the Y booking bonus, which would net you more than the 450 EQMs from your original routing. (I was told by a US TA that all invols book into Y. I doubt that's true, but I know it happens frequently).

The bonus won't apply to RDMs, obviously, so that's a different story.
Old Dec 17, 07, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Got the credit

Thanks to those who commented on my situation on the other thread.

Per the suggestions, I called the 1p line and within minutes had credit for the original routing. YMMV.

Thanks for the suggestions, this gets my year end gap down from 3 segments to 2!

S
Old Dec 17, 07, 2:02 pm

I just faxed in the original BP's --after calling the 1P desk a few times I seemed to have gotten the response of "you have to wait 3 days after the flights until we can help you routine". I know my US segments will likely post tomorrow and then Im going to have issues as these miles will have already posted. we shall see....

Search this Thread
Search Engine: