Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

ONT/SNA to LAX Discontinued (and Other Intra-California Changes) in Janaury, 2008

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ONT/SNA to LAX Discontinued (and Other Intra-California Changes) in Janaury, 2008

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2007, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by UNITED959
Exactly. I thought new gates were near completion based on the other posts. Any of that work will take a while.
They had to start with the tarmac work, to allow for all the overnight parking of jets, which is pretty far along, if not already done. Next I think is the demo of some parking areas to build new parking areas, something like that. The whole thing will likely take several years, and has been approved and funded, I think.

I still don't get UA's decision to cancel this flight. I hoped someday they would actually put an RJ on it! Maybe one of those BAE things. Lots fewer choices now, that's for sure.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by ryan182
While I personally lament the lose of SNA-LAX, the list of destinations that UA serves from LAX that are not served from SFO/ORD is close to if not empty.

Ah, but notice I didn't single out UA specifically. There is a huge amount of interline at LAX, and not just to Star carriers.

SFO is on its way to matching LAX's int'l profile (additional AKL, CAN etc--soon it will even have CPFH while LAX won't), but there remain a number of destinations that are much easier to reach from LAX than they are from other hubs, especially SFO and DEN.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 8:14 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Why and when did UAX stop flying LAX-ONT and SNA?

So I’m perplexed. I use to fly LAX-ONT or LAX-SNA a couple times a year to tack on to a MR from SFO. I’m trying to book a flight from SFO to SNA for next week and I noticed that UA no longer connects through LAX to these two airports, you MUST fly direct from SFO. When did they stop these routes and why. I’m so mad these were great flights that were quick and always help keep the price down when flying from the bay area to those airports from SFO. Did they loose demand or what?
Old Jan 5, 2008, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
There were some posts on it a few weeks back. I will miss both the LAX-SNA flight, as well as the SNA RCC!

Anyone remember a few years ago when UA had a one way SNA-LAX 320 daily?
Old Jan 5, 2008, 8:36 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I was supposed to fly LAX-ONT earlier this week, but kept getting bumped in MSY; I will miss the tour of the Southland from Seat 9B...
Old Jan 5, 2008, 8:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by rkaradi
keep the price down when flying from the bay area
Sounds like a good reason to discontinue a flight to me. Airlines don't operate flights to make it cheaper for passengers - they operate them to make money.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by rkaradi
So I’m perplexed. I use to fly LAX-ONT or LAX-SNA a couple times a year to tack on to a MR from SFO. I’m trying to book a flight from SFO to SNA for next week and I noticed that UA no longer connects through LAX to these two airports, you MUST fly direct from SFO. When did they stop these routes and why. I’m so mad these were great flights that were quick and always help keep the price down when flying from the bay area to those airports from SFO. Did they loose demand or what?
Did you read the 100+ prior posts? I would also stipulate that using these flights to keep ticket prices down (vs. non-stops) and add segments to mileage runs might not be the best bet for United's bottom line. Perceived high demand is not necessarily profitability.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by zrs70
There are 757s and A319s ferried LAX-SNA rather frequently when aircraft do not make into SNA the previous night due to the curfew.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by zrs70
There were some posts on it a few weeks back. I will miss both the LAX-SNA flight, as well as the SNA RCC!

The A320 used to be the last flight of the evening SNA-LAX. Great connection to the LAX-SYD flight. Now I have to do all SFO connections, though the new DEN-LHR flight will be nice too.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by rch4u
Did you read the 100+ prior posts?
His post was merged into this thread (without any notation to that effect).
Old Jan 13, 2008, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With the elimination of these flights, are staff at SNA and ONT being "optimized" (aka laid off)??

The absence of the 6x daily LAX flights out of SNA will surely be a significant decrease in workload at the SNA station.

(And at SNA, I'd be glad to pick the ones who can go. )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.