Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crystal Ball: Better Service for 1K's?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2007, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
Crystal Ball: Better Service for 1K's?

With the economy souring a bit, airfares on the rise, companies cutting back travel in favour of doing it via the internet, outsourcing, and United not offering incentives to double-dip or even helping one boost EQM's, I am looking forward to being a 1K next year. I remember spending only $3,500 to hit 1K, and it's now nearly double that.

The general consensus is that there will be less 1K's next year. I am guessing maybe 15 to 20%. I know on FlyerTalk, it'll be more than that. Now, what better service should I be expecting? I had the feeling United would not be offering incentives this year and would be trying to focus on real 1K's, not 1K lites.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 6:10 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Wiggums
..Now, what better service should I be expecting? I had the feeling United would not be offering incentives this year and would be trying to focus on real 1K's, not 1K lites.
I don't know what you need and want - domestic travelers face different challenges than purely intl. ones - but the only benefit I am on the hunt for is upgrades. And with the new cabins - be there less 1Ks or not - I won't get many of those anymore. So for me the benefits of being 1K shrink so dramatically, that I will focus on other carriers next year .
Old Nov 28, 2007, 6:14 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Wiggums
With the economy souring a bit, airfares on the rise, companies cutting back travel in favour of doing it via the internet, outsourcing, and United not offering incentives to double-dip or even helping one boost EQM's, I am looking forward to being a 1K next year. I remember spending only $3,500 to hit 1K, and it's now nearly double that.

The general consensus is that there will be less 1K's next year. I am guessing maybe 15 to 20%. I know on FlyerTalk, it'll be more than that. Now, what better service should I be expecting? I had the feeling United would not be offering incentives this year and would be trying to focus on real 1K's, not 1K lites.
Pleeeeeeezee telll me how you can make 1k on $7,000. Is that even possible? How?!
Old Nov 28, 2007, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by DCEsquire
Pleeeeeeezee telll me how you can make 1k on $7,000. Is that even possible? How?!
Easy. Fly 4 round-trips LAX-SFO-SYD-AKL in C!
Old Nov 28, 2007, 6:20 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Even if that were true, I cant believe you can do that for 7k.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
Ha ha, I wish!

What helped me was LAX-IAD-HSV for $178, and four LAX-JFK's at $138 a pop. The rest... $600 or so from LAX to Europe. I miss the $350 fares!
Old Nov 28, 2007, 6:22 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
10 R/T's US to Europe for an average $700 a pop? Roughly 8k to 12k miles depending on city pairs, right? There's one example, assuming no status to start. Good Asian sales I imagine would get you to 1K for even less.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 6:34 pm

Yeah.. I saw UA had IAD-PEK for 800 bucks. It was unreal. I didn't partake though. I guess full fair econonmy or refundble economy is the way to do it too. I know some people that book "economy" but since it's refundable they get insane EQM. Seems like a scam though in which UA participates as to flyers.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 6:43 pm

I really believe UA corporate wants the 1K experience to be better... but if my experiences over this last week are any indication, many(most?) employees haven't yet got(read?) the memo.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K Marriott T.E. Hertz PC
Originally Posted by alliance
I really believe UA corporate wants the 1K experience to be better... but if my experiences over this last week are any indication, many(most?) employees haven't yet got(read?) the memo.
Maybe the memo said "wait until the rift raft 1Ks" (aka RR1K) expire in March....of which I am one.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 7:50 pm

Programs: UAL 1KMM,Hilton Diamond
I am ending the year with about 95,000 miles. This weekend I am doing a MR SFO-PHL-FLL-DEN-SFO. 6000 miles for $233 less than 4 cents a mile. Will make the 1K barely. If I had done 17 of those during the year I would have made 1K for less than $4,000.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 9:42 pm

Rr1k -- Lol
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:10 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
UA must hate 1K's with an annual spend of less than $4k. I will just barely make 1P this year with a spend of of over $15k on mostly short haul full fare tickets.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:12 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
Even if that were true, I cant believe you can do that for 7k.
Many (well-planned) domestic mileage runs can be done these days for well under 4cpEQm (and jumping on a fare war, or fare mistake can make the EQMs come a lot cheaper). Even with the extra expenses of parking, etc. It should be possible to get 1K for about 4K.

That said, you will spend a lot of time flying and not necessarily going anywhere interesting.
Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:19 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
Yeah.. I saw UA had IAD-PEK for 800 bucks. It was unreal. I didn't partake though. I guess full fair econonmy or refundble economy is the way to do it too. I know some people that book "economy" but since it's refundable they get insane EQM. Seems like a scam though in which UA participates as to flyers.
Full fare economy is typically $$$$. The EQM bonus you refer to is only 50% extra and only on Y/B fares. This can up to a good bit of EQM's, but it seems that you could still achieve 1K cheaper by flying more on bargain fares.

Also, how do you figure the COS bonus EQM's to be "a scam"?

Craig

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.